Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 06:03 AM

Just bought my first set of modern clincher wheels - what tires?

I've been riding tubulars for the past 30 plus years and I just bought a set of Bontrager Aeolus XXX clincher wheels to see how they are. I have three sets of these wheels in tubular and they are fantastic, so I figured they'd be worth a try in clincher form.

So what tires are the ones to get these days? I am looking for something that's easy to mount with decent puncture protection (but not Gatorskin levels of it) and rolls nicely.

I use Veloflex tubs, so are Veloflex Corsa EVO tires the simple answer? Do they mount up wide compared to their labeled width? The Bontragers have internal widths of 21mm.

I've also heard good things about Schwalbe tires. I think Continentals are out since I gather that are a tough mount - the same reason I swore off their tubs years ago.

Are most folks still using butyl tubes? Are latex tubes reliable enough for daily use? And what are these TPU things I've seen.

I'm a total newb on this front so any guidance you can offer would be great, thanks.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:22 AM

Veloflex, mate. Many people say good things about Vittoria Corsa Graphene etc and they're pretty good, but I'm not totally sold on manufacturing quality and therefore longevity. I like Continental, too, so there's that, but to my mind Veloflex is still the gold standard.

As an aside, a pair of high end tyres is quite an investment these days, and it needs pointing out to some who tend to view them as mere consumables, they are the interface between machine and road. There is no more important an item on the cycle.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:28 AM

Tubed clinchers

Are not dead after all! Just kidding.

That’s all I ride.

I have also moved on from Contis. I found them way too hard to mount. And wanted to try something new.

I have really enjoyed the new Pirelli road tires. Mount up easily, roll really fast, and are durable.

For something more burly (read - can do some light, rough stuff), hard to go wrong with the Panaracer Gravelking “smooth”. Have these in 26c on my ~ 20 year old C50 (i.e. a bike with not a ton of clearance) and it has held up well on some surprise off piste “roads” (use that term lightly) that I find myself on sometimes.

Last, I picked up some of the Michelin Pro4 “Endurance” series. These are great. Lively, but durable. Easy to mount. But they run wide. 25c are almost 28, 28c are easily 30+.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2024, 06:33 AM
Administrator

If you want the best and that sweet tubular feel:

-Veloflex
-Vittoria Corsa PRO
-Specialized turbo cotton

-Latex tubes
Old 02-15-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
If you want the best and that sweet tubular feel:

-Veloflex
-Vittoria Corsa PRO
-Specialized turbo cotton

-Latex tubes
AS, you have spoken highly about Vittoria Corsa Pro. Do you run them tubeless or with tubes?
Old 02-15-2024, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
AS, you have spoken highly about Vittoria Corsa Pro. Do you run them tubeless or with tubes?
Both.

With latex tubes in 25c

And tubeless in 32c

Old 02-15-2024, 06:48 AM

Pirelli P Zero every day, Specialized Turbo Cotton (a tad faster). Butyl Continental tubes.

Last edited by reuben; 02-15-2024 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:46 AM

I've been using those wheels with Conti GP5K 28mm with latex tubes for about 10 months in all kinds of New England conditions with no problems, no flats, fairly easy to mount. I always prestretch the tires on spare rims first. You are talking about rim brakes right?
Old 02-15-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2metalhips View Post
You are talking about rim brakes right?
If this is directed at me, yes, these are rim brake wheels.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:47 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post

Last, I picked up some of the Michelin Pro4 “Endurance” series. These are great. Lively, but durable. Easy to mount. But they run wide. 25c are almost 28, 28c are easily 30+.

Good luck!
glad to hear they finally went back to plumper tires.. I LOVED the Pro 2's back in the day as the 25s typically measured out fatter, closer to a 27.. the replacements measured more like Contis of the time, a good amount smaller..

might have to try Michelins again..
Old 02-15-2024, 11:03 AM

Michelins = newfound love

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
glad to hear they finally went back to plumper tires.. I LOVED the Pro 2's back in the day as the 25s typically measured out fatter, closer to a 27.. the replacements measured more like Contis of the time, a good amount smaller..

might have to try Michelins again..
Got 25c and 28c from BTD last summer and threw them on the bikes I ride in the really foul stuff. This early fall I went out on a hilly ride where the weather truly deteriorated. The 28c tires were planted, grippy, and durable. Looking to get more. They do run wide as you mention…
Old 02-15-2024, 03:41 PM
#RYFB

My previous two sets had been Pirelli P Zero 28s, which I liked, they measured true on HED Belgium+ rims, lasted well and were quite puncture resistant. That said, I got a new set of BTLOS wheels and decided to go back to Veloflex Corsas (also 28) and find the road feel superior. I have found them to be less puncture resistant in the past but so far no issues.

If price were no issue I'd likely ride Specialized Turbo Cottons.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:55 AM

For consistently tested reviews, check out Bicycle rolling resistance. Also Tour magazine explains their testing methods:
https://www.tour-magazin.de/kaufbera...-im-tour-test/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:10 AM

One further question for those using Veloflex clinchers.

I often get a chalky film that develops on the black sidewalls of the Veloflex tubulars I use. I can easily remove it by wiping them with rubbing alcohol, though it sometimes comes back. The longer I run the tubs the less of an issue this is.

Do the clinchers also develop this film?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Veloflex ProTour Tub - film.jpg (86.1 KB, 349 views)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:22 AM

That 765 Optimum above is about as good as a modern bike gets in the aesthetics department. So well proportioned and understated. It's a beaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
One further question for those using Veloflex clinchers.

I often get a chalky film that develops on the black sidewalls of the Veloflex tubulars I use. I can easily remove it by wiping them with rubbing alcohol, though it sometimes comes back. The longer I run the tubs the less of an issue this is.

Do the clinchers also develop this film?
We may be talking about two different things, but I often get something similar after mounting tires and assumed it was skin cells from my hand that stand out against the black rubber, but not sure. It's not uniform and appears where I use my hands to apply pressure and "roll" the last 6" of bead onto the rim.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-15-2024 at 08:25 AM.