Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 04:37 PM

Mt Lemmon Highway

This is an excllent ride from Tucson in the Sonoran desert to an alpine (>9000’ ) elevation, so you pass through several different climate zones. Spectacular views along the way. It’s a long climb but not excessively steep.

Sky Island Parkway National Scenic Byway:
https://nsbfoundation.com/nb/sky-isl...alina-highway/
Old 04-29-2024, 06:26 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is one of the most scenic drives that is really nice on the bike.
My brother-in-law recommended that to us at least a decade ago, and it's been on our bucket list ever since...but sadly, have yet to get there, and now that we no longer live in the NE, probably won't for quite some time. But glad to hear it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
Sky Island Parkway National Scenic Byway
Came in to post ^^^this.

Also, Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu CA ...although I understand why some folks might not consider the 70mph auto traffic three feet away from the bike lane "cycle-friendly"
Old 04-29-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I concur with the recommendations for Acadia National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville. Both are best ridden off-season (pre-Memorial Day and between Labor Day and Columbus Day). Lots of vehicle traffic during prime summer and autumn (leaf peeping) seasons. Alternately, ride at dawn and beat the crowds.

Greg
Agree about Acadia in the off season. My cycling club buddies always make a pilgrimage every April in the brief window when the Loop Road is free of ice and snow but remains closed to cars. So great to ride it car free, especially the climb and descent of Cadillac mountain using the whole road to carve the corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2550.jpg (147.9 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3923.jpg (148.1 KB, 164 views)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
This is an excllent ride from Tucson in the Sonoran desert to an alpine (>9000’ ) elevation, so you pass through several different climate zones. Spectacular views along the way. It’s a long climb but not excessively steep.

Sky Island Parkway National Scenic Byway:
https://nsbfoundation.com/nb/sky-isl...alina-highway/
PJamm has Mount Lemmon as the most scenic climb in the U.S. Definitely on the list. https://pjammcycling.com/zone/223.US...ic-Bike-Climbs
Old 04-29-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
My brother-in-law recommended that to us at least a decade ago, and it's been on our bucket list ever since...but sadly, have yet to get there, and now that we no longer live in the NE, probably won't for quite some time. But glad to hear it's worth it.

Came in to post ^^^this.

Also, Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu CA ...although I understand why some folks might not consider the 70mph auto traffic three feet away from the bike lane "cycle-friendly"
The Santa Monica mountains are fantastic. The people watching on Venice Beach is always a real treat. Cycling the PCH sucks.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:16 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
This could be mis-read. There is only a short section of PCH in Malibu that has an actual bike lane (just north of Zuma beach), and even there it's simply white painted lines on the shoulder. I know I'm inured to its scenic beauty, but really there's no way to enjoy the scenery while riding your bike on PCH as you need to fully devote your attention to the traffic. The possible exception is the stretch heading north from around Trancas Canyon (pro tip: ride along Broad Beach Road) up to Las Posas Road, traffic is generally lighter and there's a decent shoulder.

The good stuff is in the canyons off of PCH, many options with amazing vistas, but ya gotta like to climb.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:51 AM

Probably the most interesting and scenic route I've been on in the US was part of a cross country cycling trip with a tent and panniers many years ago. From Phoenix, Arizona to Gallup, New Mexico.

From Phoenix up to Wickenburg, Congress, Prescott, Cottonwood, and on to Sedona. Then up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff, then via 180 and 64 to South Rim of Grand Canyon. Then east to Cameron, then to Tuba City and then on 264 through Navajo and Hopi Reservations and on to Gallup.

The ride through the two Reservations was the most unique cycling experience I've ever had. I can't think of any other way of describing than just saying it was other-worldly and spiritual. It was incredibly desolate, dry, windy, hot, and beautiful.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:28 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
Starts in Torrey, Utah. Easy to get to Capital Reef, Grand Esacalante, and Bryce. Great cycling road, not much traffic. Really enjoyed riding the entire route.
Would love to hear more about how you did this. The Visit Utah site has it going the opposite direction, starting in Panguitch; did a quick routing on RwGPS and it says 130 miles, 10k of elevation, so doable in one go. Did you do it in one day and back the next? Send a car to meet at the end? What time of year?

thanks
Old 04-30-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
Agree about Acadia in the off season. My cycling club buddies always make a pilgrimage every April in the brief window when the Loop Road is free of ice and snow but remains closed to cars. So great to ride it car free, especially the climb and descent of Cadillac mountain using the whole road to carve the corners.
I visited Acadia during the summer of 2020. For a brief period during the pandemic, the state of Maine only allowed visitors from a limited number of states. The cycling in the park was fantastic, both on the paved loop road and on the carriage roads. One day I rode at least 1/2 of the loop road without seeing one car.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is sometimes closed due to snow spring and fall. I rode the section from Asheville to Mount Mitchell State Park a few days after a spring snow storm. The road was closed to vehicles, but the snow had melted and the road was open to bikes. It was definitely one of the best cycling days of my life!

Greg
Old 04-30-2024, 01:51 PM

Lotta GREAT-LOOKING rides here. I've ridden all over Gettysburg a bajillion times, and have ridden the entire length of the Blue ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive. Would not ride the BRP again, however. Too many RVs and no shoulders.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Would love to hear more about how you did this. The Visit Utah site has it going the opposite direction, starting in Panguitch; did a quick routing on RwGPS and it says 130 miles, 10k of elevation, so doable in one go. Did you do it in one day and back the next? Send a car to meet at the end? What time of year?

thanks
I did the route as part of a guided bicycle tour over 5 cycling days in July (great weather only one short bit of rain/hail - its high so not hot.)
(the picture with snow on the La Sals is from Utah 12, but as driven last week.)
We ended at Zion for 2 days, hence the direction.

If doing an out and back, there are numerous hotels/camping places for self guided touring over however many days one wants.
A stay at Bryce, would allow cycling the scenic drive - a beautiful experience - and could see sunrise & hike into the canyon as well.
Spending time cycling through Capital Reef is an awesome experience.

This route lends itself well to a family in which 1 or 2 cycle and get together with the car people at night.

Transport would be tough for a one way ride. Lizard Head, the company that ran my tour, has a self guided option through Zion that includes a shuttle to Grand Junction Aiport and back, but is $$ for just transportation.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:01 PM
#RYFB

Thanks @PurpleBikeChick
Old 04-30-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Lotta GREAT-LOOKING rides here. I've ridden all over Gettysburg a bajillion times, and have ridden the entire length of the Blue ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive. Would not ride the BRP again, however. Too many RVs and no shoulders.
Otay,
If you rode all over Gettysburg a "bajillion" times, and the entire length of Skyline Drive, at least once, you must agree that they are great areas for rides. You may not want to repeat them, but they must stand out as top notch.

I don't know how Skyline Drive is now because, at 71, and now with 6 broken ribs, that ride has not happened recently, and is not happening anytime soon. It has always been a seasonal thing though - summer vacation time = a bunch of vacationers like BRP, but they are moving slowly on the Drive. Other times of the year are not so bad with traffic. At least, that is what I remember.

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 04-30-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:09 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Cycling the PCH sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I know I'm inured to its scenic beauty, but really there's no way to enjoy the scenery while riding your bike on PCH as you need to fully devote your attention to the traffic.

I guess we each like what we like. I've cycled the PCH on three separate occasions over the last ~15 years and every time I found it wonderfully exhilarating.

(Well, except for that time I was fighting a hellacious headwind for the entire southbound leg.)

Then again, I'm from NYC, so riding near auto traffic doesn't seem to faze me like it does some cyclists. :::shrugs:::
Old 04-30-2024, 04:33 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I guess we each like what we like. I've cycled the PCH on three separate occasions over the last ~15 years and every time I found it wonderfully exhilarating.

(Well, except for that time I was fighting a hellacious headwind for the entire southbound leg.)

Then again, I'm from NYC, so riding near auto traffic doesn't seem to faze me like it does some cyclists. :::shrugs:::
Good for you, Bob, I'm glad that you have enjoyed it. As I said, riding it at least once a week my perspective is far from that of a visitor -- it's the TT portion of the ride to get it done as quickly as possible.