Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
I have two dedicated "all-road" bikes (with rim brakes) with clearance for 35mm+ tires and road geometry. I'm very happy with both bikes on a variety of surfaces, including light/moderate gravel. It's all I need, I guess. But I can totally see why a gravel bike can be a "do-it-it-all" machine and I'm intrigued by the genre.
Back in Memphis, there was very little gravel and almost no reason to own a 40mm+ gravel bike unless you were racing. The whole cycling scene was road bike dominant.

Now in Co Springs and I totally get the gravel hype. I don't plan on owning a specific aero road bike to do 1-2 road races per year, and I don't love the idea of riding only on the road out here in a new city. But I'm all-in on All-Road and Gravel now. Yesterday I did a 20 mile route in town that included road, double wide paths, multiple gravel sections and some VERY rough bike lanes. I was very happy to be on a CX bike with tubeless 30's and next time I'll probably take the gravel bike instead. Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of miles of real gravel roads just a few minutes from the house.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:29 AM

You get to ride and see places you normally wouldn’t, plus no cars. What’s not to love

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
I have two dedicated "all-road" bikes (with rim brakes) with clearance for 35mm+ tires and road geometry. I'm very happy with both bikes on a variety of surfaces, including light/moderate gravel. It's all I need, I guess. But I can totally see why a gravel bike can be a "do-it-it-all" machine and I'm intrigued by the genre.
That sounds like my Gunnar Crosshairs, which is amazing on 38mm knobbies and 32mm road tires. Big tire rim brake bikes are