Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM

At $59,995 this will probably hurt C7 resell value as well. Might be some good deals on those in a year or two as those who must have the latest and greatest upgrade.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 AM

The interior is a little too Jetsons for me. But GM has just never been able to do interiors.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 AM
50 bpm

So there are 495 HP for less than $60K.

Then comes the Z06 with a flat plane crank DOHC 5.5L with 600HP.

Then comes the ZR1 with a twin turbo version, 800HP.

Finally, there's the Zora, which will have AWD, a front E-axle and ... about 1000HP.

Game, set, match ... and LeMans.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'm glad they're skipping the hybrid nonsense... I don't get the whole European Hybrid Hypercar thing at at all. They basically take their uber expensive sports cars and make them weigh a ton to carry around batteries and yet the hybrid/efficiency aspect of them is still kind of a joke.

Electric is the future for sure and for this kind of money I'd never buy a Corvette over a performance version of a Tesla or something like that. I'm not going to go to the track, and the electric cars already perform outrageously for a short period of time where short means "short enough to not get caught and go to jail". The only thing the gas engine has going for it now is if you need to do a lot of laps around a track at warp speed it doesn't overheat batteries.

That said they are staying true to the heritage by not making it a hybrid but obviously not doing so by moving the engine.

I know it's all about bragging rights but the way all these cars actually get used it's amazing the track performance actually matters that much... the point end performance of all these types of cars seems like it's used by a tiny percentage of owners.. most people don't go to the track, and all these types of cars have such high limits that among the people who go to the track I bet a very small # actually have the skills to care about the difference between a C7 and a Ferrari. And which of these cars are actually safe driven that quickly at the track without installing a roll cage and 5-point harnesses and doing lots of other safety modifications?

I'm guessing I'll never see one doing anything but driving 5-10mph under the speed limit.
Few things to point out:
-For the so-called "hypercars" the hybrid system had little to do with fuel efficiency but rather as technological experiments with manipulating the power curve. The gaps in engine response and power delivery that simply could not be filled no matter how advanced the engine the ECU is where a hybrid system and the supporting motors shine. That being said, the cost of such systems is astronomical. Software development, integration controls, wiring design, etc. adds up quickly in man hours.
-Of course it's all about bragging rights. NO ONE gets a sports car because it's practical, it's because they hit that ID desire.
-The top of the range Model 3 is $55-65K and does 0-60 in 3.2s but will never have the same handling as any decent sports car. Now if you're definition of "perform" is drag race specific, then yes it'll match or beat just about any internal combustion car out there. But if you like other aspects of driving then there's no comparison.

That being said the new C8 is initially looking like a home run. Great styling, insane performance, and GM looks like they're deciding to go the smart Porsche route of profiting off of perks instead of performance.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:46 AM

What are the corvette purists saying about this one? besides the rear lights, this thing is ALL European lines
Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM

If it's mid-engine, where am I going to put all my bikes ?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
Get the optional trailer package and a 1UP rack custom built for all your bikes.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
In your support vehicle.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM

490 hp and $59,995 base price. What you can get now, is just the beginning, with 30 more hp LT engine. Others will come later, including a mega horsepower hybrid.

You're not going to get a 2015 or newer C7 Z06 for 30K. I traded my 2014 C7 (that I got in October of 2013) in just last year. It was a base model with 3LT package and chrome wheels. I got 39K on trade, against the original 63K sticker price. I only paid 55K after cashing in my GM credit card rebate and trading in my 8 year old Equinox with 100K miles on it. It depreciated about the same amount as my wife's Ford Escape, but it only had 5600 miles on it after 4.5 years.

The C8 looks fabulous. I may have to look into a torch red model with black interior and the mid-level seats. If you skip the pricey Z51 package, it will probably save 8-10K. When it comes time to trade it in, the more you paid initially, the greater the depreciation.

Last edited by Dave; 07-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Man, the more I look at this, the more excited I am about it. It honestly may be my favorite Corvette since the C2 Coupe (especially the '63). I'll wait a couple of years for the 1st year issues to be worked out and for the hype to come down on them, but there will probably be one of these in the garage. A base model would be fine. There isn't any chance that I'd be able to extract the full performance from the base car much less any of the higher performing versions....

Texbike
Old 07-19-2019, 12:33 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
The interior is a little too Jetsons for me. But GM has just never been able to do interiors.
They were fine back in the metal era. Aside from sun-cracked dash pads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4702.JPG (95.7 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4701.JPG (97.5 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4700.JPG (126.3 KB, 215 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:40 PM

This thread makes interesting reading after the "Save the Planet" thread. Just sayin'.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Wish I could get a Ford GT for under $60K.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
This thread makes interesting reading after the "Save the Planet" thread. Just sayin'.
^Haha. Good point! However, the consensus seems to be that we're all screwed anyway. May as well enjoy the time here and destroy the ice sheets and pollute our environment in style.

Texbike
Old 07-19-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Wish I could get a Ford GT for under $60K.
This is the closest thing to that for the price...