Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 AM

Ot:c8 midengine corvette finally released

Hey guys:

So I stayed up last night to watch the unveiling. Probably a great bargain priced supercar! Certain things I liked i.e. front end, certain things I didn’t i.e. rear end. 0-60 in under 3 seconds in the base model. What I was most surprised about was the base price. Under $60k which means $59,995. That is still a great bargain for a car with this potential. I am sure that the options will quickly raise the price though. All in all I am excited that the mid engine corvette is finally here after all the promises over the.last fifty years. Do I like it enough to run out and buy one? No! I will go to the dealer when available to see live and see if I can even fit in one.

Oh and the link now has multiple pics of the car.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

Last edited by alancw3; 07-20-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Not bad, but it ain't Vice-Presidential material.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Administrator

these look really great.

i was hoping they would keep an manual trans option, but i get it.

good timing on the release. this is poised to be an excellent mid life crisis used car purchase for me in about a decade
Old 07-19-2019, 06:58 AM

Wow! This is still a preproduction model, but it looks incredible.

1. I like it!
2. It's so different from prior Corvettes, should they really call it a Corvette or should it be an entirely new model?
3. Chevy won't be able to keep up with the demand.

This looks like a winner and will definitely drive traffic to Chevy showrooms. The design is striking enough that the valets will have them parked them out front of the restaurant. Plus, it sounds like it will be a performance monster. Kudos to Chevy! They may not have made a machine that fits into the mold of prior Corvettes, but they've created an exceptionally cool car. I'm more excited about it than I thought I would be.

Texbike
Old 07-19-2019, 07:32 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised by the look of the new corvettes and engine placement. I didn't expect this but agree with sentiments above that it's hard to imagine this not selling well.

In addition, as others have said, I do love the look. This said, I can't think of a single iteration of the corvette that I didn't like. It's one of the few things I think GM has consistently done well.

I'll likely never own one but I do enjoy seeing a corvette on the street regardless of the year and model.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
It's one of the few things I think GM has consistently done well.
i agree. vette's have a cult following for good reason.

GM has WAY too many vehicles in their collective line-up right now. most are mediocre to crap too, but they do have some excellent stuff. if they were smart, they would cull their line-up to a lot fewer models and focus on getting them to the top of their respective league.

i will say that i have driven them all, and in the mid size truck market right now, the colorado is really best in class in my opinion. the buick tour-x wagon looks pretty good too!

long live the corvette heritage!
Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 AM

Kind of surprised no electric/hybrid workings, I know it isn't the target market but overall forces basically mandate this to happen.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 AM

I'm glad they're skipping the hybrid nonsense... I don't get the whole European Hybrid Hypercar thing at at all. They basically take their uber expensive sports cars and make them weigh a ton to carry around batteries and yet the hybrid/efficiency aspect of them is still kind of a joke.

Electric is the future for sure and for this kind of money I'd never buy a Corvette over a performance version of a Tesla or something like that. I'm not going to go to the track, and the electric cars already perform outrageously for a short period of time where short means "short enough to not get caught and go to jail". The only thing the gas engine has going for it now is if you need to do a lot of laps around a track at warp speed it doesn't overheat batteries.

That said they are staying true to the heritage by not making it a hybrid but obviously not doing so by moving the engine.

I know it's all about bragging rights but the way all these cars actually get used it's amazing the track performance actually matters that much... the point end performance of all these types of cars seems like it's used by a tiny percentage of owners.. most people don't go to the track, and all these types of cars have such high limits that among the people who go to the track I bet a very small # actually have the skills to care about the difference between a C7 and a Ferrari. And which of these cars are actually safe driven that quickly at the track without installing a roll cage and 5-point harnesses and doing lots of other safety modifications?

I'm guessing I'll never see one doing anything but driving 5-10mph under the speed limit.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:56 AM
cmg

"What I was most surprised about was the base price. Under $60k which means $59,995. That is still a great bargain for a car with this potential." Not one of these vettes will sell for anything near $60K. The dealer prep, destination charges, taxes and dealer greed will get these things as close to a $100k and over if possible. Whatever the market will bear and the 0-60 in under 3 seconds will get them fuming.

Last edited by cmg; 07-19-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM
aka RAEKWON

I was just trying to convince the wife to let me get a Z06 C6... imo the best bargain of a car in the market right now. They are going for low 30s... amazing engine, amazing power, outside they don't look terrible but I won't comment on the inside. Anyways, wife did not approve the purchase.

The C8 looks incredible. I am a fan of the C7 as well but they really outdid themselves with the C8. Looks incredible, mid freaking engine, interior is one of the nicest (ok, that long row of buttons is a bit strange and so is the steering wheel but it looks like an expensive car). I will start saving now.

oh, no manual is I get it though and hoping GM will do a manual in the future. I don't care if its .2sec slower
Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
"What I was most surprised about was the base price. Under $60k which means $59,995. That is still a great bargain for a car with this potential." Not one of these vettes will sell for anything near $60K. The dealer prep, destination charges, taxes and dealer greed will get these things as close to a $100k and over if possible. Whatever the market will bear and the 0-60 in under 3 seconds will get them fuming.
Probably true for the first year or so, but once it cools down, they will go below 60k.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM

Wow. That looks awesome. Coincidentally, last night I was watching TV with my wife and there was a spot for the new Blazer and we were both blown away with the fact it didn't look like a Chevy.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 AM

It looks like a running shoe
Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 AM

It's pretty darned sharp, and I'm a Corvette diehard.

Need to see more and better pics of the rear. The C7 rear is an abomination.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I thought I read somewhere they were going to call it a Stingray (with a new logo) rather than / or in addition to Corvette but the website didn’t mention it.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.