Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 09:27 AM

History -- "The Bicycle Gun"

Given the times, I hesitate to start a gun thread. For the record, I am both a gun owner and in favor of comprehensive gun regulation. I'll leave it at that.

One of my interests is small guns, mouse guns. They are kind of like watches in construction.

I was surprised to learn that more than 100 years ago, there were small guns specifically marketed to cyclists.

+++++++++++++

"With the advent of the bicycle, the Bicycle Gun came into vogue--typically a pocket revolver in a small caliber suitable for discouraging dogs from chasing bicyclists. Such guns already existed, but hadn’t been named Bicycle Gun yet. One such was the Hopkins and Allen 7-shot .22 solid frame double action revolver, made between 1875 and 1907, known as the XL No. 3 Double Action small frame. The .32 Smith & Wesson Safety Hammerless of 1888 to 1892 with the 2 inch barrel became known as a “Bicycle” gun at some point, and the First Model Ladysmith (the 1902 M Frame Model .22 Hand Ejector), was often referred to as a “Bicycle” gun. Iver Johnson made a similar gun--the Model 1900 Double Action small frame, a 7-shot .22, which appeared in 1900 and remained in production for 41 years.

Belgian Velo Dog .25
Belgian Velo Dog .25

In 1894 the 5.5mm Velo Dog cartridge was introduced in France--a rimmed .22 centerfire cartridge with a long, slim case. “Velo” is an abbreviation of “velocipede,” used in Europe like Americans use the word “bike” for “bicycle.” Velo Dog became a generic name for small revolvers carried by bicyclists, in any of a number of calibers, made primarily by Belgian and German small arms manufacturers, though some were made in Spain. They were usually hammerless (concealed hammer) revolvers with a folding double-action trigger and a swivel ejector rod like the British Bulldogs (John Adams’ patent of July 1872--British Patent #285)."
Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM

you ain't alone there, pal

"They just go together... right!?!?"
Old 08-16-2019, 12:01 PM

Ibtl.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Ibtl.
Same.

Here is a photo of a Spanish marksman.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

2 examples:

Marlin 1897 Bicycle Rifle - broke down and fit in a bag under the top tube.

Quakenbush Safety Rifle - collapsible stock

Both .22 caliber rim fire.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Same.

Here is a photo of a Spanish marksman.

I heard he was shooting a cow so he could have some Spanish beef.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Plastic made?

We had 2 riders back in the day that got robbed in the road so those were carrying a small gun after the 2nd time they got the problem with the friends of what do not belong to them.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 08-16-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:36 PM

I prefer to carry on skis.

Unless you mean this type of bicycle guns....

Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Tortoise shell's they always have to be different.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 PM
The B!

I seem to recall that small pistols were marketed to cyclists going back deep into the 1800s as defense against dogs. Something I've considered buying a small, plastic pistol for a time or two over the years. Especially in the rural large, mean, loose dog infested areas I've always seemed to live. My solution for dogs ended up being pepper spray, which works fantastic against the dogs. But then I found I might need something for the large, mean owners of said large, mean dogs- having quite literally been chased down by pissed off owners when their loose dogs came whimpering back sneezing and coughing. I then realized dogs are "bitches" when confronted, and just started chasing them when they came after me. It works! They always run away, and after a couple of times with the same dog they even stop giving chase to begin with. I now do this while on runs or rides, and make great sport out of it.

Not sure how to address this new level of harassment from pickup truck drivers I've been experiencing out on the road lately, though. New area, new assholes, new cyclist on the road... maybe it'll get better.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man;2581019

Not sure how to address this new level of [B
harassment from pickup truck drivers I've been experiencing out on the road lately[/B], though. New area, new assholes, new cyclist on the road... maybe it'll get better.
PM me and I'll tell you what I did..not looking to start any kind of argument here..