Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Convert factory front wheel (DT Swiss Oxic) to dynamo hub

Are there any major cons to replacing front hub of a DT Swiss Oxic ( DT Swiss - PR 14 DICUT(R) 21 OXiC ) front wheel with a SonDeluxe SL hub (20h version) for use with a LED front light.

The pros for me are primarily aesthetics (keep same all-black rims front and rear); simplicity (no wheel change needed for SL dynamo thus avoiding need for minor changes to pad position etc with different wheel) and reduced redundant wheel count.

My focus is not based on experience/practicality of using dynamo hub, especially SL type. One drawback I can think of is that the system would always be on if the SL hub wheel is in SL fork dropouts so open to feedback that this is a bad idea and a dedicated wheel makes more sense (Altamount lite ceramic rim is close in look and dimensions so could go that way with more spokes in a dedicated wheel)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:53 PM

You'll likely need new spokes to change the hub. If you're getting new spokes and a new hub, you may as well get a new rim too.

Do you already have a bike in hand for this project? You need a specially built fork for the SL system. It is an excellent system, but you can't retro-fit it to an existing fork. If you already have a bike, you'll need either a non-SL hub (which will work in any fork), or a new fork to go with the SL hub. If you're having a frame/fork custom made, then, I would recommend spec'ing the SL system with your builder.

For the same type of rim, you won't need anymore spokes for a dynamo than a normal hub.

My gravel bike has an SL front hub. I only use that wheel in that bike, and leave the lights (front and rear) on all the time. I've never found a draw back to doing so.

I hope that helps.

Chris
Old 08-08-2019, 02:56 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
a dedicated wheel makes more sense
yup
Old 08-08-2019, 02:58 PM

I bet there are a ton of people who would love to get their hands on those DT rims for custom wheel builds. I know I would.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Thanks cp43 - I have a dedicated SL fork (built as a replacement for Seven 5e mid-reach with added functionality) - pic uploaded

I will step back from aesthetic driver as dedicated wheel makes more sense (and stick to aesthetic consideration re headset colors etc) - thanks to both of you for sensible advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 316EBCB0-55E4-4CCE-AF44-1D2D81E8B183.jpg (103.1 KB, 176 views)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:47 PM
formerly Landshark_98

maybe you can get DT to sell you a "replacement" front rim and have a new wheel built with it. Otherwise the Boyd ceramic rim is really nice and the altmont lite is about the same height or maybe just a tad taller and with ghost decal wouldn't look bad.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
maybe you can get DT to sell you a "replacement" front rim and have a new wheel built with it. Otherwise the Boyd ceramic rim is really nice and the altmont lite is about the same height or maybe just a tad taller and with ghost decal wouldn't look bad.
DT doesn't sell direct but maybe a DT rim reseller could source one from a DT distributor..I'll email my 'guy' at DT in Grand Junction and ask tho.

A note tho for the OP..these use nipple washers and Squorx nipples..you can get by using non Squorx nipples(I have a bunch if you need them)..but gotta use the nipple washers..I have a bunch of them also.
Quote:
I'll email my 'guy' at DT in Grand Junction and ask tho.
Got an answer and sorry, not available as a rim only..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
DT doesn't sell direct but maybe a DT rim reseller could source one from a DT distributor..I'll email my 'guy' at DT in Grand Junction and ask tho.

A note tho for the OP..these use nipple washers and Squorx nipples..you can get by using non Squorx nipples(I have a bunch if you need them)..but gotta use the nipple washers..I have a bunch of them also.

Got an answer and sorry, not available as a rim only..
Belated thanks - didn’t realize you had followed up until now so greatly appreciated!
Old 09-10-2021, 06:10 AM

Have you considered the option of the Velogical rim dynamo?..

http://www.velogical-engineering.com...ight-efficient

Their stuff is available via their ebay store, and you’ve many mounting options. I read many people really like them, so I got a set to wire up this winter.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:41 PM

This was a vanity project so went with Son SL system and built the hub into a pre-existing wheel but thanks for suggestion!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8E42895B-51E5-482D-96C2-617719C25A34.jpg (116.3 KB, 53 views)