Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Time & Bikes

Tell me about Astral Cycling

I’ve ignored bike tech for several years, so I’m finding several companies new to me but probably not new to you.

Astral Cycling is one of them. I’m especially interested in their 700c Wanderlust wheelset, probably the carbon rim version. I also like having a choice of hubs, and would go with White Industries CLD hubs.

So tell me about Astral. Have you ridden one of their wheelsets? Seem like pretty good values. I did some searches here, and found few posts.

Dave, who is looking for all-purpose kind of wheels good with 700x38 or so sized rubber
Old 08-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Astral wheels are now part of the stock builds at Moots.

I went with the Enve 3.4AR with enve hubs and I am running 700x38 Gravel King SS+ tires. Great setup.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:49 PM

Astral Cycling wheels are made be made by Rolf Prima (famous for their paired spoke wheels), and appear to be marketed toward those who have figured out that paired spokes are just a gimmick.

The Wanderlust wheels appear to be equivalent to the Rolf Prima Hyalite LS wheels, except for using 4 additional spokes and standard spoke lacing.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Vendor

Rolf Prima owns Astral. People liked their rim profiles but they weren't offing them except in complete wheels(paired spoke style). They own their own extruding machines in Oregon. That's where the Astral rims are made, in there Oregon factory.

The carbon rims are based on the alloy ones. They were planning on having them made in the US but couldn't get the quality they were looking for so the carbons are outsourced. All the carbons are scanned in-house to make sure they are good to go. 650 and 700c in the same model rim, alloy or carbon in the same model rim. multiple drillings in the same rims.

Incredibly nice rims. I just finished a pair of Wanderlust 700 with Aivee hubs for a gravel bike. Very nice, easy build with no issues. Easy truing. Always a plus when the build goes smoothly.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:28 PM
ergottWheels

I'm a fan. I did Battenkill on a set of Radiant rims built to I9 hubs

I also have a set of Wanderlust rims built to CLD hubs and I've done all sorts of rides on them like the Vermont Overland. Here I'm clearing trees and had a chainsaw, gas, bar oil, and a bunch of other gear secured to the bike.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Rolf Prima owns Astral. People liked their rim profiles but they weren't offing them except in complete wheels(paired spoke style). They own their own extruding machines in Oregon. That's where the Astral rims are made, in there Oregon factory.

The carbon rims are based on the alloy ones. They were planning on having them made in the US but couldn't get the quality they were looking for so the carbons are outsourced. All the carbons are scanned in-house to make sure they are good to go. 650 and 700c in the same model rim, alloy or carbon in the same model rim. multiple drillings in the same rims.

Incredibly nice rims. I just finished a pair of Wanderlust 700 with Aivee hubs for a gravel bike. Very nice, easy build with no issues. Easy truing. Always a plus when the build goes smoothly.
"scanned in-house" - really? Thumbs up to that. How many companies bother to do that? I would like to see that list.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I'm a fan. I did Battenkill on a set of Radiant rims built to I9 hubs

I also have a set of Wanderlust rims built to CLD hubs and I've done all sorts of rides on them like the Vermont Overland. Here I'm clearing trees and had a chainsaw, gas, bar oil, and a bunch of other gear secured to the bike.

A Stihl on a rack? That's a first

Is that the Hunter Gatherer?
Old 08-13-2020, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post

Are they built under contract w/ some US aerospace carbon manufacturer/fabricator? Or did I hear wrong? I am told they do a decent amount of wind tunnel testing as well
Old 08-13-2020, 07:15 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
A Stihl on a rack? That's a first

Is that the Hunter Gatherer?
It's a Coffeegrinder

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
Are they built under contract w/ some US aerospace carbon manufacturer/fabricator? Or did I hear wrong? I am told they do a decent amount of wind tunnel testing as well
Correct on both.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:40 PM

These sound perfect for my MIUSA themed Moots build! It was either these or the shallow Mavic carbon rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk