Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 11:54 PM

I bought my Suburban in Phoenix. The guy that built my frames actually bought it - he's comfortable enough to overhaul an automatic transmission, weld and do body work, and paint a pick up truck, so I trusted him to be able to look over a vehicle. Had it trucked (open) to CT. No issues. Driver owned truck. He wouldn't even accept a tip. I think it cost just under $1000, like $989. Was fine. I can't remember who I used.

Looking at emails it looks like I used "Direct Express". They then find a carrier. I was really lucky I think.

The Suburban I got beat the pants off of anything here in CT in the $10-15k range (no rust!), and it was $5400 shipped including a $500 finder's fee to the guy that bought it for me. It's been great for the 3.5 years I've had it. It's getting rusty though, despite my attempts to keep that from happening.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:38 AM

funny, that is the same carrier I ended up choosing! (Direct Express).

I called about 6 and the guy from direct express seemed the most honest and least needy of the bunch. They also had the quickest pickup window and transit time. Cost more to use them, but turns out they were all pretty comparable.

Seller sent me pics of the loading and according to him it was a nice father/son duo so I feel better about it...I guess we'll find out here in another two or three days!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 AM

Motorcycle shippers?

This is somewhat timely but not quite on topic.

I’m researching shippers to transport a motorcycle and like the other comments I’ve been surprised at the prices. I’ve been having difficulty in finding actual shippers instead only brokers.

I don’t understand why I should pay a fee just to get a middleman to book a truck for me.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced shipper for a motorcycle?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

I’m researching shippers to transport a motorcycle and like the other comments I’ve been surprised at the prices. I’ve been having difficulty in finding actual shippers instead only brokers.

I don’t understand why I should pay a fee just to get a middleman to book a truck for me.

The main thing is as a truck driver you don't want to scour the internet for people that need a car moved from here to there. Instead it's much better to log in with a broker and then get assigned a task.

The guy that delivered my vehicle had 6 or so at the start. Mine was the furthest and last one delivered on that trip.

It was up top, which surprised me. I'd have expected it below (shield from wind, from debris on road). I didn't think of the "drip oil onto the car" thing.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

Might want to check with local motorcycle dealers (Harley Davidson comes to mind) to see if they have a recommendation or can help you ship. I think with a motorcycle, it gets strapped to a pallet first.