Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 11:17 AM

Indy 500 practice underway

It sounds like with reduced track time teams will have their work cut out for them trying to find the best race and qualifying set-ups with the new aeroscreen. You can keep track of timing and scoring (presumably for all sessions) here:

https://racecontrol.indycar.com/

When Indycar radio is on the air, you can access it by clicking on the MIXLR link near the top of the page.

The last two qualifying sessions as well as the race will be shown on NBC broadcast network, with the last two practice sessions shown on NBCSN. You can buy the NBC Gold pass to view the rest of the sessions live.

Here is the entry list, just 33 cars this year.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:28 PM

i hope alonzo wins so we don't have to hear about him anymore!

but seriously, motorsport doesn't seem that weird without fans...cant say the same about other sports namely baseball
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10 PM

Will be great racing.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM

Go Marco! 2nd fastest lap thus far.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:11 PM

I’ll plan to watch if Gordon Johncock, Tom Sneva and AJ Foyt are racing. And Jackie Stewart and Jim McCay are announcing on ABC’s Wide World of Sports.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I’ll plan to watch if Gordon Johncock, Tom Sneva and AJ Foyt are racing. And Jackie Stewart and Jim McCay are announcing on ABC’s Wide World of Sports.
It's a fine day for motor racin. Man, I miss those days. I go to youtube on the trainer for that and for Cart circa 93-95 with the crazy 1100 hp turbo cars.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
My era. Met Mario through dads business and he was so gracious nobody else compared after that. Sat in Mansells car and wondered how he could fit in it if I couldnt...saw Gordie Johncock get caught by Mario with a couple laps to go after reeling him in at a second and a half per lap. Mad respect these days for Scott Dixon. Excellence and longevity. Long live open wheel racing............
Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I met Tom Sneva in Gasoline Ally in 1978. I had a Press Pass and I was standing outside his garage observing, when initially unobserved standing beside me, he started a conversation. What a great guy; very down to earth and friendly.

Not sure if it still occurs, but the MS organization used to offer a bike ride at The Brickyard if you could raise a minimum of $25 in sponsorships for charity. My friends and I would open our checkbooks and contribute for the chance to do a one hour team time trial. I also ran around part of the track 3 times while participating in the 500 Half Marathon. These experiences gave me a great perspective about the Speedway.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I also ran around part of the track 3 times while participating in the 500 Half Marathon. These experiences gave me a great perspective about the Speedway.
In the 'old' days, the 'mini marathon' ended at the start/finish line of bricks. Mentally, one would imagine that when they approached the Speedway, they were finished. A big rookie mistake was to start your acceleration to the finish, as you drew closer to the track, just down the road. Once inside, it was sobering to see how massive it was, and realize the finish was still 2 miles away, not even a full lap. Lot's of people ran out of gas long before the finish line was in view.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:28 PM

I will be pulling hard for Fernando. Triple Ceown, McClaren at Indy. Yes.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:30 PM

It's wild that guys who raced CART are still doing this, some of the younger entrants probably weren't alive when that was still a thing.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
It's wild that guys who raced CART are still doing this, some of the younger entrants probably weren't alive when that was still a thing.
Assume you are referring to drivers, not entrants. I think that the only drivers scheduled to drive in this year's Indy 500 who raced in the CART series are Ryan Hunter-Reay, Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves, and Scott Dixon. Orial Servia and Sebastian Bourdais both ran in CART and in last year's race, but neither has a ride for this year's race. The last year for the CART series was 2003. Not sure who the youngest current driver is but Herta and Ferrucci were both born years before the CART series ended.

There are 3 more drivers in this year's race who drove in the Champ Car series that succeeded CART: Graham Rahal, Will Power, and Simon Pagenaud.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Go Marco! 2nd fastest lap thus far.
The Andretti camp certainly looked strong on day one, with four of the day's seven fastest cars. In addition, Alexander Rossi had the fastest no-tow speed of the day.

I'd like to see Marco have a good finish but I won't be pulling for any Andretti, Ganassi, or Penske driver to win.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:53 AM

Learned to drive a 5 speed stick shift in the parking lot of Speedway High School next to the track.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:35 PM

It was more fun when we had Chevys, Offys, the occasional Buick, Ford and Andy and the Turbines. You could pull for various drivers or the brand engine you liked. Today...not so much. Sorry, I remember those all day races because the top speed was around 160MPH.

However, I will say I don't miss the carnage that was also a part of the sport back then.