Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2023, 04:21 PM

The silver ring on the NDS side of the spindle seems to be part of the crank. It's pretty welded on there it's not coming off, tried with a few different tools today
Old 02-20-2023, 04:23 PM

This is the model. It is alloy not carbon. No mention anywhere of what bb it takes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
That looks like an alloy arm to me, not carbon.

My guess is this model
https://www.slanecycles.com/quarq-dz...t-p-28571.html

I also thought maybe it was a 24mm spindle throughout, but don't believe the spindles are removable, but I've also never looked into it. Also, Shimano spindles usually have more splines on the end, and the OP's look like the GXP splines.

-KP

Old 02-20-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
https://www.performancebike.com/prob...RoCOE4QAvD_BwE

I’d guess that silver ring (where the GXP bearing step is supposed to be) could be part of a kit like this.
I think you might be on to something. According to Problem Solvers, this kit is supposed to be used in conjunction with their BB30 to 24mm adapter. That ring on the spindle is likely a press fit, and not intended to be removed.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:45 PM

Put a caliper on the spindle for goodness sake.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I think you might be on to something. According to Problem Solvers, this kit is supposed to be used in conjunction with their BB30 to 24mm adapter. That ring on the spindle is likely a press fit, and not intended to be removed.
If that's the case, just get a Shimano Hollowtech II bb, or whatever 24mm spindle BB fits your frame and call it a day.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
If that's the case, just get a Shimano Hollowtech II bb, or whatever 24mm spindle BB fits your frame and call it a day.
It's a little bit more than that. GXP cranks/spindles have no built-in way to adjust bearing pre-load, so he'd have to set the pre-load with spacers and a wave washer (similar to many 30mm spindle cranks). These come with the GXP adapter kit linked above, but can also be purchased separately.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
This is the model. It is alloy not carbon. No mention anywhere of what bb it takes..
I've had that model or a similar model of Quarq aluminum cranks. Mine had a 30mm spindle. I think that they also offered them in GXP, however. So, if there's any doubt as to the spindle diameter, I'd beg or borrow a pair of calipers.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It's a little bit more than that. GXP cranks/spindles have no built-in way to adjust bearing pre-load, so he'd have to set the pre-load with spacers and a wave washer (similar to many 30mm spindle cranks). These come with the GXP adapter kit linked above, but can also be purchased separately.
Finally got it tested on a Shimano bb and it works. Calipers measure both sides at 24mm. It came with quite a few washers and a wave washer, I'd assume that's how it was run previously. I wouldn't say I'm that in the loop on standards but had never heard of a Quarq with a 24-24 spindle only ever 24-22
Old 02-22-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
Finally got it tested on a Shimano bb and it works. Calipers measure both sides at 24mm. It came with quite a few washers and a wave washer, I'd assume that's how it was run previously. I wouldn't say I'm that in the loop on standards but had never heard of a Quarq with a 24-24 spindle only ever 24-22
Its not a sram product-its likely a sleeve pressed on and just tight. If you had a torch to heat it you'd likely get it off, but given how cheap a Shimano bb is, why bother.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:22 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Yep, a little heat or a nice clamp and some rotation should be able to get that thing off.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:28 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Years back I used some parts from the Chris King adaptor to go from 24mm to SRAM GXP. It was a sleeve that slid on. If it's something similar it should be able to come off.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:47 AM

gxp spindle.

Just a note, I have 3 d zero carbon power meters that are gxp. they all look like your original crank. The d zero you bought is a shimano 24 mm spindle.

You just need a hollow tech II. BB. cheaper than a gxp bb. they are almost up to 40 dollar now.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:01 AM

Bumping this thread with a related question:

I installed a Quarq GXP crankset on a Praxis BB30 to 24mm thread-together BB using the Chris King fit-kit (please don't ask why!). After a good test-ride everything seems super smooth and solid, but here's my question:

After dialing in chainline, I had about 12mm of the GXP spindle exposed on the NDS, but the NDS crank has about 15mm of depth to mount on the spindle. Is that acceptable, or am I asking for trouble because the spindle isn't far enough into the NDS crank?

Tags
sram