Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Sram Force Hydro lever leaking out of the box

Putting Sram Force 1 Hydro on a new bike. Was installing the rear lever and adjusting position on the bars and found brake fluid all over the underside of the hood. I took the hood off and wiped down the lever body... waiting now to see if it will continue leaking.

Anyone else find this with new levers, Sram or otherwise?

I'm relatively new to hydro "road" levers... (had some Shimano hydro brakes but besides install and bleeding, didn't have to do anything with them)... so is this more common than I assume? Too optimistic to hope it will just "go away"?

It's gotta be leaking from the bladder/reservoir or banjo fitting, right?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 PM
shimergo

It's either from the reservoir/bladder or banjo fitting like you said, but also double check the bleed screw is fully tightened.

With a bleed block installed in the caliper, pull the lever to see if it feels soft to confirm there's some sort of air leak.

I personally haven't experienced this with my setup, but I'm familiar with the hydraulic related components in the levers since I had to reinstall a new set of hoses.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:52 PM

Bleed screw is tight. That was the first thing I checked.

Since I first installed the lever and wiped it clean, and actuated the lever several times, I have not seen more leaking fluid. So it's somewhat frustrating.

I need to cut the hose to get proper length, so will end up bleeding the system. Suppose for peace of mind, I'll open the lever and make sure everything is copacetic with the banjo and reservoir. Supper annoying that I need to do that, though. Fresh out of the box, they shouldn't be leaking. F you Sram.

Would have gone with the Shimano 1x kit if it was out when I was purchasing components. Never Sram again.