Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Classics Fan

Not sure how much more I can add to this thread.

For the OP, Thom - I can see the frustration. This sounds like either a poorly designed, or poorly constructed chamois. While other things can wear out (for instance the inner thighs from the wear of the saddle), the chamois should be the most resilient part of shorts. I can see the point that some are making that 18 months is a full lifetime for such a garment, and I'd agree if this were an issue of wear and tear. But this appears to be a material/design failure, and I'd expect Rapha to (at the least) give you some credit toward a future purchase. I know you're a light guy, so it isn't like you're wearing the chamois out through compression.

Given that we now have other good options, I don't think Rapha deserves your loyalty. Q36.5, Velocio and a few others that are definitely in the same price/benefit ballpark as Rapha.

On the topic of other brands that send out "free" replacements... 2 things. 1) the actual cost that the company eats is considerably lower than the retail price for an item and 2) Even if it is lower than retail, they are not really free -- they are part of the cost that you and other customers pay for those items.