Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 AM
50 bpm

As a 35-year veteran of newsrooms, I probably have a fairly good grasp of what goes on at newspapers.

The quality of journalism overall remains high, although much of the nuts and bolts of the editing process at local papers has been gutted and one-fifth of all American newspapers have closed. (At one of my former papers, the newsroom had 216 staffers 20 years ago and now has 35.)

Are newspapers perfect, even the national ones? No. I disagree with the bothsidesism when one side is obviously, demonstrably lying. (Looking at you, NYT.) And there are papers whose editorial direction is decided by the politically active people who write the checks.

But most are staffed by people who are trying to shine a light on the truth every day despite enormous odds. I'll back their version of history.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
As a 35-year veteran of newsrooms, I probably have a fairly good grasp of what goes on at newspapers.

The quality of journalism overall remains high, although much of the nuts and bolts of the editing process at local papers has been gutted and one-fifth of all American newspapers have closed. (At one of my former papers, the newsroom had 216 staffers 20 years ago and now has 35.)

Are newspapers perfect, even the national ones? No. I disagree with the bothsidesism when one side is obviously, demonstrably lying. (Looking at you, NYT.) And there are papers whose editorial direction is decided by the politically active people who write the checks.

But most are staffed by people who are trying to shine a light on the truth every day despite enormous odds. I'll back their version of history.
Absolutely. 100%. It's easy to be a part of the SIDC when your news "source" is a social media echo chamber.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
If you like Dave Barry, and you like humor, and you're associated with Florida, read any novel by Carl Hiaasen.

I read "Sick Puppy" and "Lucky You" and can attest to the fact.

Wear a diaper while reading, or you'll wet your pants.

Carl and Dave performed in a now defunct rock band called the Rock Bottom Remainders.

P.S. Why do people post links to sites that are behind paywalls? Not everyone has access to paywall protected sites.
Easy hack on that one. paste the URL in the address box and hover your mouse right over the refresh button, hit enter and just after the page starts to load hit the refresh button which will really be a stop button as the page is loading. That cuts off the paywall from loading into your browser. It might take a few times before you get it just right

---

All the major news papers in the country use best management practices in journalism which includes exhaustive efforts to make sure what they are printing is true. That is behind the scenes. Bias is a different issue. Once in a while there is a dishonest reporter but they always get caught and then of course those who are in power and want you to distrust those who root out their lies will use that one instance of a dishonest reporter as 'proof' that the whole industry is corrupt and so you would be better off going to the root source to get your daily feed of lies. Of course half the country now wants to believe in the lies so that's another problem.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:05 AM

Another one for the Dave Barry fans, his gift guide for 2019: https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2019...-these-things/.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Easy hack on that one. paste the URL in the address box and hover your mouse right over the refresh button, hit enter and just after the page starts to load hit the refresh button which will really be a stop button as the page is loading. That cuts off the paywall from loading into your browser. It might take a few times before you get it just right

---

All the major news papers in the country use best management practices in journalism which includes exhaustive efforts to make sure what they are printing is true. That is behind the scenes. Bias is a different issue. Once in a while there is a dishonest reporter but they always get caught and then of course those who are in power and want you to distrust those who root out their lies will use that one instance of a dishonest reporter as 'proof' that the whole industry is corrupt and so you would be better off going to the root source to get your daily feed of lies. Of course half the country now wants to believe in the lies so that's another problem.
38-40% tops.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
38-40% tops.
And most of em are over 65 boomers. The greatest generation followed by the WORST.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

Really, NYT are demostrable liars?
Old 12-30-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudguy View Post
And most of em are over 65 boomers. The greatest generation followed by the WORST.
OK Boomer
Old 12-30-2019, 10:04 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

No, but their false equivalence is journalistic malpractice.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:26 PM

Head in ass. They print lies all the ****ing time. TV and papers. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NY Post, etc, etc. all a joke. They are all a sham. Only the stupidest sheeple don’t see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Yes. It means it´s facts were double checked. Newspapers may have a bias and it´s an open bias but they don´t print lies
Old 12-30-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, I guess.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
Head in ass. They print lies all the ****ing time. TV and papers. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NY Post, etc, etc. all a joke. They are all a sham. Only the stupidest sheeple don’t see it.
You must be great fun at parties, showing off your new tin foil hat.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So who do you trust ? Facebook ? IG ? Geez

The local journalists I know work hard to get their stories correct. They do make mistakes but it’s not for lack of trying to get their facts verified.

Come on everyone the OP posted a link to a Dave Barry humor column. I think he’s a funny guy and a clever writer. Let’s lighten up and enjoy the fact there are things to laugh about.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:11 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

IB4TL.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Evidence that the general strategy of undermining institutions, and the press in particular in this case, is working, at least for the 38-40% that Old Potato referred to. When everything is fake, nothing is true. There are no experts, science is bunk, career professionals are part of the deep state, etc.
Closed Thread