Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Yes
My 50/34 Potenza HO UT

809gr with bearings & bolt
Slightly more bearable. For comparisons sake, I just weighed a SRAM Rival OCT chainset (compact) and it was 720g, so a good bit lighter. These were available in silver/polished as well, although the OP would need to find them on ebay/classifieds.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:40 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
801g Potenza, 875g Centaur..2.5 ounces...

Yes but the differences are teeny tiny. I doubt anybody in a blind test could tell the difference.
Gosh my chorus crank with a square taper BB is lighter, and I agree that on the road the weight doesn't really matter. I hurt my lower back a few years ago and getting in and out of my house feels better with my lightest bike about 17lbs. It's just odd to me that these cranks have gotten heavier, hopefully it means they are more durable too.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:13 PM

Well you have to factor the BB, if you weight crankset to crankset well the old squared tapper should be lighter, the new stuff in the case of the potenza has a full axle and a bearing attached to it.

Add the campagnolo BB and probably the squared tapper chorus is heavier than the potenza + the cups.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Well you have to factor the BB, if you weight crankset to crankset well the old squared tapper should be lighter, the new stuff in the case of the potenza has a full axle and a bearing attached to it.

Add the campagnolo BB and probably the squared tapper chorus is heavier than the potenza + the cups.
I am curious: what are the numbers? I know a chorus bb is in the 220grs nhood.
Other than that the 53-39 does not take care of me everywhere. A compact or semi compact would be better.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:45 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I am curious: what are the numbers? I know a chorus bb is in the 220grs nhood.
Other than that the 53-39 does not take care of me everywhere. A compact or semi compact would be better.
According to my trusty 2006 Campy catalog (the best year ever for ten speed imho) a square taper chorus BB was 220 grams, cranks were about 660 depending on the length etc.. A record BB was 190.

So about 880 for a chorus setup.
Potenza is about 850 grams with a record cups.

So, very similar weights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7247.jpg (119.1 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by shinomaster; 12-29-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Thanks. A new chorus UT set up is 780 grs. Otoh sq taper bb/cranks require little if any maintenance
Old 12-30-2019, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
That's good to know, and honestly my beef with chainline has not specifically been with Campagnolo since I do so few builds with this brand.

And I've seen differences in how different frames are positioning the crankset that seems like as much of a problem as the cranksets themselves.

The problems can be an issue when, for example, a chain tends to derail immediately when the pedals move backwards, due to cross-chaining angle of course but simply does not occur with all frames despite my use of no spindle spacers that might affect chainline.
Yup, even on some OE bikes, seems the product people have their head in the sand(or are driven by $)when they spec these things.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Slightly more bearable. For comparisons sake, I just weighed a SRAM Rival OCT chainset (compact) and it was 720g, so a good bit lighter. These were available in silver/polished as well, although the OP would need to find them on ebay/classifieds.
Gotta add some bearings in that equation...since Campag have bearings on the crank, sram does not.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Never seen a company giving weight specs that have the BB (any type needed for the application) weight added. So weight is really a thing of what you weight with the crankset.

For example the new glued BB cranksets, those never factor the BBs. Same with glued BB frames, BB weight is never included.