Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Considering an Aero bike. Questions/Advice

I've been riding my Giant TCR Advanced for last two seasons. Prior to that I had a Klein Quantum Pro for nearly 20yrs. I'm 46yo, 6'1", 155lbs. I'm more of a climber and the Giant does real well on the steeps. But, it's also a good all-around bike I think, pretty comfortable, steady on the descents and very nimble.

My rides are typically 30-40mi fairy quick club rides (21mph+ avg) during the week then more hilly and/or longer (50-75mmi) solo rides on the weekend with the occasional century.

I've recently been considering getting an aero frame and building it up with Campy. I'm a Campy snob and wouldn't consider anything else. My Giant works well for me, but I have the itch to try an aero frame. Do I need it? No, but life is too short, so.....

Before I started considering an aero frame, I was looking at getting another Giant-like bike. Was drawn to Colnago, being a Campy fan and was looking at the specs of the C64, C60 and V3r, realizing the latter is very different than the C series. Then was taking a look at the Trek Emonda, but realizing I already have a pretty light bike that climbs well, so why get another one. Which brings me to considering an Aero bike.

Started scoping out specs and again drawn to Colnago (pricey though), Cervelo S5 (not that familiar with the brand) and Trek Madone. Lol, is it sacrilegious to put campy on a Trek? Not steadfast on buying new, but I think the best value is probably the Trek, new or used, but to be honest I've never really considered a Trek before because they are so popular and I like to be a little unique, however the Madone seems very well rated, so would still like to consider it.

I understand I should test ride some of these and that will be dictated by what my LBS has. Regarding brakes, are disc brakes more/less aero than caliper brakes? Ideally, I don't want to have to buy another set of rims to get disc brakes and personally I don't think I would benefit that much from them, but also don't want to sacrifice watts if discs are more aero.

Anyways, I'm a bit all over the map at the moment and as the season starts to wind down here in Maine, I need something to think about over the long Winter, so interested in folks opinions, ideas or otherwise. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 AM

Aero bike with Campagnolo? I would be looking at the Bianchi Oltre XR4. It must ride well both on the flats and climbing, because the entire Team Jumbo-Visma was on it for the TdF including the mountain stages. The disc version has fully hidden cables.

Last edited by fa63; 10-01-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I would suggest getting a bike that would be most likely to expand your riding horizons. For example, gravel or cross or even a single speed/fixed.

If you think you're going to do lots of riding where aero will help (say, triathlons) then by all means, go aero, but if not, then go for something that will truly fit a niche/expand your riding options.

Have fun with the project.

Canyon aeroad

I built my Canyon with Campagnolo mech 10 speed. The Movistar team rides with Campagnolo as well although it is probably EPS or 12 speed. If you are interested I can put together a package with the record direct mount brakes and bb cups.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ghlight=Canyon

The main reason for buying an 'aero' road bike is cause they look cool, and that is a good enough reason for me...
But don't expect your speed to go up from your Giant!

Maine - I miss doing the Streaked Mountain road race there years ago...just outside of Auburn or Augusta I think. Along with a stop at Rainbow Cycles.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:25 AM

This place will be ridiculous with answers. You will get very little info on aero bikes and a bunch telling you to do something else.

Did you see the frontal profile of Mads’ bike this weekend? Lots of oncoming camera shots and his Madone looked unbelievable. Take a strong look at that bike. Also check out the new Wilier’s if you want something Italian to hang your Campy on. If you’re going new expect disc but with used you can find rim brakes. Don’t forget to check out Tour Magazine and their aero reviews.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM

If you're going to buy new, research Cervelo a bit more. Great warranty on their frames, and they have always been very cutting edge when it comes to aerodynamics.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
This place will be ridiculous with answers. You will get very little info on aero bikes and a bunch telling you to do something else.

Just to be clear, I'm all for getting a cool aero bike. I have a Felt IA FRD and building a new Trek Speed Concept...

Just, when I hear people say they are 'upgrading to an aero...' I wonder if they have expectations of 50 watt savings, etc...
Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Just to be clear, I'm all for getting a cool aero bike. I have a Felt IA FRD and building a new Trek Speed Concept...

Just, when I hear people say they are 'upgrading to an aero...' I wonder if they have expectations of 50 watt savings, etc...
Not pointing fingers, although when you ask about aero bikes and get recommended to think about a fixie instead.....

But yes, skin suit without wrinkles, road suit, aero helmet, etc are much bigger savings.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
I've recently been considering getting an aero frame and building it up with Campy. I'm a Campy snob and wouldn't consider anything else. My Giant works well for me, but I have the itch to try an aero frame. Do I need it? No, but life is too short, so.....
Best reason to upgrade and I am with you in the Campy camp!

With an aero frame you will lose a little bit of comfort compared to the Giant or other standard road or endurance road designs. Tighter chainstays for the tucked rear tire, aero tube shapes can be less forgiving, chunky aero seat post etc. Plus the general rider position tends to be more aero of course too, depending on how you set it up. Maybe even a slight weight penalty too. So for your fast club rides you would be golden, but might sacrifice a little for the longer weekend solo rides that also sees some altitude gain.

A few have been mentioned here. If Colnago you should also look at the Concept. There are some floating around in the market at good prices. Specialized Venge Vias is another (both disc and rim). Factor O2 is a semi-aero design, which could be a good compromise. Excel has one at 1/2 off. If you are doing some decent climbs/descents I would opt for disc, but of course that adds cost for a new group too. Again there are some super deals on Campy's H11 groupsets (I just picked one up). Good luck.

Last edited by RobJ; 10-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
The main reason for buying an 'aero' road bike is cause they look cool, and that is a good enough reason for me...
But don't expect your speed to go up from your Giant!

Maine - I miss doing the Streaked Mountain road race there years ago...just outside of Auburn or Augusta I think. Along with a stop at Rainbow Cycles.
Cool. I do that ride every so often. Only live about 20min from Auburn.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Look KG795 Blade RS

I think the latest LOOK aero frame is (no pun intended) an overlooked option. The seatpost design is ingenious and makes for a versatile frame...one post allows for setback, straight or TT/Tri set forward positions. Comes in direct mount rim or in disc and takes larger tires. Reviews have been very positive and consistent in their praise...FWIW

Gone is the proprietary ZED crank so it can be built with any groupset

(https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...795-rs-review/)
https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?p...ero-polyvalent)
Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 AM

Have you searched on weightweenies? There’s a lot more information about aero over there than here. People on this forum are more on the enlightened rather than competitive side. The consensus though seems to be that the handlebar/stem and cable hiding situation is as important as how aero the frame itself is, so I’d be looking for something that has a clean total package then make sure to get some fast wheels with appropriately sized tires as to not negate your aero frame and handlebars.

The biggest question you’ll have to ask yourself is disc or rim, and if disc, are you prepared for changing axle standards that may render your frame obsolete in a few years (road boost)? It seems to be that the best deal would be run brakes then wait it out until the axle situation gets standardized. I’m fairly certain that discs are not more aero and they are definitely heavier, that said most new superbikes are disc only.

Imho I’d take a good look at the new cannondale btw. It’s ugly but it’s supposed to be fast. People are liking BMC as well. For rim brakes I’d look for an aeroad.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:50 AM

I'm identical in size and weight to you and also a 20+ year Campagnolo rider (and Colnago obsessed, I've had a C40, C50 and currently have a C59) (except Shimano on MTB). I recently picked up a Cervelo R3 on closeout from Excel, not the aero bike but internally routed hydraulic hoses and put Dura Ace Di2 on it.
I was pretty hesitant about Cervelo because friends experience in the past hasn't been stella. My friend had one about 10 years ago and it looked like it had been glued together by a kindergarten class. The finish on my new frame is great, it was simple to route the hoses/wires through the frame, the routing through the bars is a different story.
I'd also look seriously at the Canyon already mentioned. I bought a Lux dual suspension MTB about 2 months ago. It is an incredible bike, The buying experience was great. I bent the hanger a couple of weeks ago and Canyon sent me a new one in 2 days. The only caveat with Canyon is the integrated bar/stem seems to come a bit short and swapping them out doesn't look friendly. But bang for the buck in my opinion it is the best out there.

Finally, my friend rides a Trek with Campagnolo. It can be done!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
If you're going to buy new, research Cervelo a bit more. Great warranty on their frames, and they have always been very cutting edge when it comes to aerodynamics.
I know at least one person who might disagree.....
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=cervelo+excel

But to the OP, an aero bike should be the last step after all other avenues for speed increase have been taken. The latest gen of aero bikes have solved a lot of the comfort/fit/maintenance/setup/weight issues but they're wildly expensive. If you go previous gen it'll be fast but will still include the above-mentioned issues.

If you're hankering for a new frame then probably the better tact is taking a look at the latest-gen all-around frames, which mostly match the aero benefits of the previous-gen aero frames but are much easier to live with day to day. Frames like the Tarmac, Addict, Supersix, CAAD, Zero SLR, Roadmachine et al have lots of aero and comfort shaping and also don't weight a ton.