Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 01:22 PM

People for bikes has a regulation scheme they’re trying to get all states to adopt. Class 1 = pedal assist up to 20mph. Class 2 = throttle up to 20. Class 3 = pedal assist up to 28. Class 1 is treated exactly as a bike is. Don’t know how class 2 is treated. Class 3 requires a helmet. I think technically not supposed to be in bike lanes but practically they’re ridden there.

In SF City the cycling infrastructure has gotten really good recently. Tons of protected bike lanes, etc. I’d say 1/3 of bikes I see on my morning commute are now eBikes. It’s awesome. Definitely getting more people out of cars. Definitely having the impact of forcing the govt to prioritize cycling infrastructure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2019, 06:53 AM

Totally understand how people would get hurt on assisted bikes. It's just simple physics.

As for increased regulation at the State or Federal level, I'm totally against it. There is already enough overreach and regulation from the Feds, they must have something else to do. This is 100% a local issue and up to each individual city or town. What works and what is a problem in one place doesn't make it so in my town.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethjs View Post
People for bikes has a regulation scheme they’re trying to get all states to adopt. Class 1 = pedal assist up to 20mph. Class 2 = throttle up to 20. Class 3 = pedal assist up to 28. Class 1 is treated exactly as a bike is. Don’t know how class 2 is treated. Class 3 requires a helmet. I think technically not supposed to be in bike lanes but practically they’re ridden there.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where does a non-assist bike that coasts on a decline up to 40mph fit into that speed-based classification scheme?? Not equally dangerous for the fact that it doesn’t have a battery onboard?
Old 12-30-2019, 09:53 AM
Randomhead

the classification has to do with how fast the bike can power itself. ebikes can go just as fast as a non motorized bike while coasting. It makes more sense if you realize that the purpose of these proposed classifications are to avoid licensing/insurance. Otherwise an ebike would have to meet motorcycle regulations. I hope most people can see why motor vehicles should be regulated.

I recently watched a video of someone riding an ebike that was so overpowered the rider was passing cars on the flat. Obviously a motorcycle, and should have to meet the requirements for one

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-30-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:40 AM

When I bought my wife her Electra Townie GO E bike....E assist only.....I was told by our local bike shop where I bought it that if it had a throttle....it was considered to be a motor vehicle.....and thus illegal on our local trails where my wife rides.

Hers is 250 watt mid motor....with no throttle. Most of the 500 watt and up rear hub motor drives I have seen have a throttle.

Don't think any of this is enforced, but that makes sense to me. Pedal assist only under 20 is still a bike. Put a throttle on it, and more power.....then register it as a motor vehicle. And the signs clearly say on our trails.....NO motor vehicles.

And....IMHO powerful E bikes with a throttle do not mix well with distracted pedestrians, walkers, and joggers. I keep mentioning our trail system because our trails are like mini highways, transportation corridors, with all kinds of traffic, and where motor vehicles are not allowed. To me....proper designation of these new bikes is important. I don't mind some rules.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-30-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
With the advancement of ebike technology, how could law enforcement even determine who has one?
Even in the Tour de France they can't even determine who has a motor in their bike!
Old 12-30-2019, 12:32 PM

I always see a guy riding a smaller wheeled, step though throttled "ebike"....motorcycle. Blasting up and down the trails. E-assist is fine with me but the speed of that thing he needs to be on the roads and not buzzing past people on a multi-use trail at 20+mph.

Most people that come in for a test ride can hardly control a bike under their own power confidently. Then they get on a pedal-assist ebike that can double their speed, yeah they go down hard.