Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Campy cassette issues

I'm trying to install a Campy 10s cassette on a 9s Veloce hub. I'm having two problems:

1) After installing the other 9 cogs, there barely is room for the smallest cog, and then only if I push down on the others. The cog catches, but most of the splines are sitting proud of the freehub. Is this OK? If not, what can I do about it?

2) The lockring won't engage the threads even with all of the cogs removed. It seems to be slightly too large in diameter. The cassette and lockring were previously installed on a HED hub, where everything fits fine. Is there more than one thread spec for the freehub/lockring? The lockring is marked CS 401 / R1 023 UD 9/10 TYPE.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2019, 06:05 PM

Someone else will know for certain...

Some early 9-speed hubs were backward compatible with 8 speed and do not forward compatible with 10 11 12. The diameter of your lock ring may tell the tale.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:10 PM

Is the lockring a Campagnolo part (or possibly a hub-specific part made or provided by the hub's maker)?
Does anyone recall whether there was, ever, a threading difference between campagnolo's alloy and steel freehub bodies?
Is the freehub in fact a 9-speed model, having it's original freehub body attached?

I'm wondering if perhaps one or more of the cassette's spacers might be incorrect.
Campagnolo cassettes, at least some of them, use wildly different spacer widths on the same cassette, even as the inter-cog spacing is actually uniform, this due to the way that the carriers are machined.

Other than that an unneeded spacer might be stuck on the cassette or freehub body after removing the cassette(?), I can't think of any other reason(s) why your cassette wouldn't go on far enough for the smallest cog to properly engage the splines.

Last edited by dddd; 12-28-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:10 PM

After some internet searching, I think I now have the lockring issue figured out -- I need to use a 9spd lockring on this hub even with the 10spd cassette.

That still leaves me with the question about how deeply the cogs should seat on the freehub.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Small ring

Make sure your spacers are in the correct position.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Someone else will know for certain...

Some early 9-speed hubs were backward compatible with 8 speed and do not forward compatible with 10 11 12. The diameter of your lock ring may tell the tale.
Someone who obviously knows more about Campy freehubs than myself.^^^
Old 12-28-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Is the lockring a Campagnolo part (or possibly a hub-specific part made or provided by the hub's maker)?
Does anyone recall whether there was, ever, a threading difference between campagnolo's alloy and steel hubshells?
Is the freehub in fact a 9-speed model, having it's original freehub body attached?

I'm wondering if perhaps one or more of the cassette's spacers might be incorrect.
Campagnolo cassettes, at least some of them, use wildly different spacer widths on the same cassette, even as the inter-cog spacing is actually uniform, this due to the way that the carriers are machined.

Other than that an unneeded spacer might be stuck on the cassette or freehub body after removing the cassette(?), I can't think of any other reason(s) why your cassette wouldn't go on far enough for the smallest cog to properly engage the splines.
There s something that looks somewhat like a spacer on the freehub, next to the spokes, but it is fitted to all of the splines and doesn't seem to want to come off. Does anyone know whether it belongs there?
Old 12-28-2019, 06:36 PM

Op, the last cog is always like in the air, it sits over #9... the problem that i think youo figured it out is that you have one of the old hubsets. The lock ring diameter is different.

I was you, if you can relace the wheel... I would try to locate like a centaur rear hub which will take all the way I imagine to 12 speed.

Sometimes is better just move to something else because those lock rings are hard to get, the other problem (not a problem but something to mention) is that the new stuff is all with oversize axles...

Another option IMO is go Miche hubs, those work really well and are fairly well priced.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:34 PM

Velobase mentions rings come in 26 x 1 (early) and 27 x 1 (current).
Old 12-28-2019, 07:39 PM

I looked for the longest time to find one of the old lockrings online. Second time around I mentioned it at my favorite LBS and they just pulled one I needed right out of their small parts bin.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:43 PM

Make sure the cogs are very clean. A little grime on them stacks up fast.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:51 AM
Everything is connected

More info here...Old Potatoe will certainly chime in...

https://branfordbike.com/new-page-1
Old 12-29-2019, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
There s something that looks somewhat like a spacer on the freehub, next to the spokes, but it is fitted to all of the splines and doesn't seem to want to come off. Does anyone know whether it belongs there?
What color is the freehub body? Black or silver. If black, 8s. Picture? There were no spacers permanently installed on Campag freehub bodies. Me thinks that would come off. Sounds like a cogset spacer somebody put on there first maybe to install 7 cogs.

YES, it IS possible to put 9s cogs onto a 8s FHB but a bad idea since it doesn't grab a lot of cog spline. There were no 8s bodies designed by Campag to be 9s compatible.

Does it look something like below? That 'black' thing at bottom? It does not come off, and a 10s cogset 'should' fit fine..10s spacers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0663_1200x800__41072.1441240191.1280.1280.JPG (33.6 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-29-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What color is the freehub body? Black or silver. If black, 8s. Picture? There were no spacers permanently installed on Campag freehub bodies. Me thinks that would come off. Sounds like a cogset spacer somebody put on there first maybe to install 7 cogs.

YES, it IS possible to put 9s cogs onto a 8s FHB but a bad idea since it doesn't grab a lot of cog spline. There were no 8s bodies designed by Campag to be 9s compatible.

Does it look something like below? That 'black' thing at bottom? It does not come off, and a 10s cogset 'should' fit fine..10s spacers?
Yes, that's what it looks like. Once I get a proper lockring I'll try again, with everything clean and the spacers in correct order. Thanks!