Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 12:24 PM

RIP: Spike Clayton

Just came back from a memorial service for Spike, who passed away recently from cancer. I thought I'd post this, since for such an understated guy, he had great reach in the cycling and skiing world, and friends everywhere he went. I first met him when I rode cat 3/4 for Stowe Shimano back in the day. Spike was the best rider to come out of Vermont back then, I 'd say. He was 9th in the trials for the Olympic team in '84. Later he was a longtime partner in the Ski Rack in Burlington. I bet that at least a few paceliners would want to know that this had happened.

Here's the obit:
https://www.corbinandpalmer.com/noti...nSpike-Clayton

Here's Spike's mantra for life and riding, pithy and to the point:

"Work hard, Stay positive, Never give up. "
Old 12-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Sorry to hear this....
Condolences to family & friends

RIP
Old 12-23-2019, 04:34 PM

Wow - small world! Spike was my neighbor. He was a great guy and an asset to our community. Some random thoughts / memories:

He loved to nordic ski all around the fields between his house and mine with his wife, Kathy. If we got an inch of snow, they'd be out there skiing on mostly grass. He just loved to ski!

His son practiced the tuba outside (it may have been the trombone, it was quite a while ago). We would sit outside in the evening and listen to him practice. His house is about 1/2 mile from ours so you can imagine the volume at his house! I always imagined Kathy and him sitting inside listening and smiling as he progressed.

Kathy was in the first group to dream up and complete the 200 on 100 with Gene Bell and a whole host of characters that played an important role in the cycling scene in Vermont. She is a killer rider.

One day, late in his illness, Spike must have been feeling a little bit better. I saw him skiing in the field as I was driving to work. Hardly a flake on the ground, terrible conditions. He must have just needed to be out there, doing something he loved. I'll never forget that morning.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Good skiing/cycling/music/family stories, morrisericd!
Peace, good wishes, and strength to Spike's family.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear this news. The name in the thread title made me stop and open the thread. I'm sure I met him somewhere along the way back in the 80's. I too raced for Stowe for a few years, but just locally. His wife's name is certainly familiar and I do remember racing with her brother Don (riding for GMBC) at Killington one year.

Have been a SkiRack customer for decades. Still is a great store.