Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcgill View Post
Thank you for the reply! After several dream bikes i am finding out that the Ultegra/105 road bikes and slx/xt mountain bikes are the sweet spot for me...etc.
So true. The more the bike exists in a realm of being a tool than an object of lust to be pampered, the more enjoyable the riding. That's because there's less worry about abusing the bike, or the wear and tear, and the expensive costs of maintaining a prima donna bike.

Ride what you can afford to abuse.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcgill View Post
Thank you for the reply! After several dream bikes i am finding out that the Ultegra/105 road bikes and slx/xt mountain bikes are the sweet spot for me.
They are much less nerve wracking to ride as opposed to a 10k Pinarello with Super Record!
I find that i enjoy the rides much more on bikes that are not super expensive.
Totally agree with this sentiment.

For me, in Campy land, it's Chorus-level components and Zonda C17 wheels.

Unless you know you're building a piece of art. In which case, sure, go nuts and hang it on the wall.. maybe ride it twice a year. Around the block. On a Sunday. In the dry. With no rain 3 days prior.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
So true. The more the bike exists in a realm of being a tool than an object of lust to be pampered, the more enjoyable the riding. That's because there's less worry about abusing the bike, or the wear and tear, and the expensive costs of maintaining a prima donna bike.

Ride what you can afford to abuse.
That right there is why I ride and race on chinesium frames.

...that and I have something unique to ride and race on. Everyone has a specialtrekgiant not everyone has an FN Bicycles frame

I take care of my stuff 'cause there's $$ invested and I want things to last, but if something happens and I'm out a bike, I'm not out multiple thousands. Multiple hundreds maybe.

M
Old 12-22-2019, 08:24 PM

I bought my '15 Emonda SL6 after riding a Giant TCR for years. The Emonda does everything the TCR did, but in a much more comfortable package. I specifically chose the Emonda due to the H2 fit and it's taller headtube. (Back and Neck problems over the years with the TCR) I debated on the Domane, but felt it was going to be too tall and too soft. The Emonda is the perfect balance between race and comfort.

Also, like most said, the stock wheels on the SL5 and SL6 are quite disappointing. Upgrade to your favorite 25mm wide rim with a 25mm tire, and you'll fall in love.