Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which watch would you choose if you could have only 1?
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - Quartz 15 26.32%
Oris Big Crown ProPilot Big Date - Automatic 12 21.05%
Sinn 104 - Automatiz 30 52.63%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

The Omega is too formal (and froofy) for my taste.

The Sinn is too busy. There are other Sinn watches that I very much like, but not that one.

That leaves the Oris.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:06 PM

If you want automatic three hander with a date and a reasonable price, tough to beat the Sinn 556. And you've already got a Sinn in this decision set...
Old 12-19-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I was just talking to a couple of friends today about buying a new watch as well.

Rolex, Omega and Panerai.

Choices....

Start a new thread and let's really dig into your decision but for now....

Rolex = can't get the desirable ones unless you have a pre-existing relationship with an AD
Omega = easy to get but barely hold 60% of their value
Panerai = barely hold 25% of their value.

With that said, get what you love and don't worry about value retention if you are going to keep the watch long term. If you are a flipper, stick with Rolex or Patek otherwise do not ever expect to get back more than 50% when you sell watches you purchased new. With Pre-owned you will only lose 20-30%.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-19-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:51 PM

Lightbulb About watch winders

What are your opinions on watch winders, is there any point in having them?

Is the main purpose of having one for people who have a collection so therefore would not need to set time and dates when choosing a different piece to wear?

Or is it to keep all of their movements continuously moving instead of constantly stopping and re winding every time? Is it true that lubricants inside the movement can harden if they are left to stop frequently or is this just a myth?

Many thanks KK

Last edited by AngryScientist; 12-20-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:58 PM

I have normally had 8-10 watches although I have cut back to 4 watches now. I have never used a watch winder and have never had any problems. I obviously often have to wind watches, but I don't mind doing that. My Dornblueth 99.1 is a manual wind, but it is easy to set as it does not have a date.

I sold an Omega Planet Ocean that I purchased the month they came out 14 or 15 years ago and never had it serviced and it was fine.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Welcome to the Paceline Forums.
Congratulations on your first post.

Automatic watch winders are not all the same.
It seems to be an accessory where a decent one must be purchased.

A good one definitely helps make it easier to live with multiple automatics.
Contemporary wristwatch lubricants are much more stable than in the past.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Start a new thread and let's really dig into your decision but for now....

Rolex = can't get the desirable ones unless you have a pre-existing relationship with an AD
Omega = easy to get but barely hold 60% of their value
Panerai = barely hold 25% of their value.

With that said, get what you love and don't worry about value retention if you are going to keep the watch long term. If you are a flipper, stick with Rolex or Patek otherwise do not ever expect to get back more than 50% when you sell watches you purchased new. With Pre-owned you will only lose 20-30%.
I only by watches and other possessions that I really like and then keep them a long time.

Rolex: never have seen one I would wear
Omega: purchased a new orange Planet Ocean 14 or 15 years ago and sold it this year for what I paid for it.
Panerai: purchased one in 2003 and sold it about 5-6 years ago for what I paid for it. Purchased a different Panerai at that time.

Patek: purchased one two weeks before 9/11 and decided I did not like it (not a fan of Patek looks; this was close). Took a big loss on it.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I have my autos on winders, mostly to minimize the amount of fiddling it takes to get a watch from "sitting" to "accurate and ready to wear." They are a bit of a hassle, and to be honest, I think my interest may be shifting from automatics to other options like no-date manuals and quartz.

I'd probably wear my "atomic" (I dislike the term) G-shock more often, but it's huge, so I use it mostly as my reference clock when I need to set anything else.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I only by watches and other possessions that I really like and then keep them a long time.

Rolex: never have seen one I would wear
Omega: purchased a new orange Planet Ocean 14 or 15 years ago and sold it this year for what I paid for it.
Panerai: purchased one in 2003 and sold it about 5-6 years ago for what I paid for it. Purchased a different Panerai at that time.

Patek: purchased one two weeks before 9/11 and decided I did not like it (not a fan of Patek looks; this was close). Took a big loss on it.

Jeff
You are comparing very different time periods in the same examples. Times change, tastes change, and thus values change but Rolex and Patek have proven to be the only brands that keep value no matter what happens in the overall watch market. You also need to factor the time value of money because $1,000 14 or 15 years ago does not have the same purchase power today. For it to be equal, you would need $1,316.99 of today's dollars to equal what $1000 was worth in 2005.

Omega - did you have a special or limited edition watch? Was yours in excellent shape?

Panerai - that was 5 or 6 years ago, times change, and ask any pre-owned dealer today if you would be lucky to get 20-30% of original retail for a Panerai unless it was one of the few really collectible and very limited watches. Many authorized dealers can't get rid of them now and are offering at least 50% off on new ones and/or dropping the brand. Stallone and Arnold made them famous but even that did not last very long.

Patek - not sure how unless it was still during the recovery of 9/11. All luxury items will soften in a recession or after a catastrophic event like 9/11 but it depends on which ones actually come back. Patek and Rolex do, others usually don't or it takes a very long time.

The caveat is that some models will keep more of their value. A Rolex Submariner will keep significantly more of its value than a DateJust. A Patek grand complication will keep more of its value than an entry level Calatrava.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Sinn model has taken an appreciable jump in the polling.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Which watch box?

Good evening gents,

My missus just offered to get me a watch box for Christmas (bless her, she's more than understanding with this hobby). I'm thinking about something for 8 watches, not sure if wood or leather. Anything you'd care to recommend? If you've a picture or a link, even better.

Many thanks,
Christian
Old 12-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Sinn model has taken an appreciable jump in the polling.
Does not surprise me. That means it is a very well liked and respected watch (and brand) but not necessarily what will meet my need.

I am surprised that the Oris is coming in second because the brand is not as well known as Omega but maybe the "quartz issue" is a deciding factor.

I really appreciate all the responses and the votes!
Old 12-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janney View Post
Good evening gents,

My missus just offered to get me a watch box for Christmas (bless her, she's more than understanding with this hobby). I'm thinking about something for 8 watches, not sure if wood or leather. Anything you'd care to recommend? If you've a picture or a link, even better.

Many thanks,
Christian
So many options...

What is your budget (Amazon/China or Louis Vuitton or something in-between)?
Leather or wood?
For your desk/dresser or for travel or for storage?
See through top or concealed?
Strap watches or bracelet watches or both?

As an example, this one holds 8 but it is $6350.
LOUIS VUITTON COFFRET 8 MONTRES

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-19-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:38 PM

My friend recommended me the brand jqueen, who knows about this brand?

Jqueen store : https://www.jqueenwatchwinders.com
Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 PM

Ask a watchmaker, they will tell you they are unnecessary and put extra wear on a watch that would not happen if you were not wearing it.
If you do not wear a watch for some time make sure to give it a full wind about once a month otherwise it can just rest.