Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 04:11 PM

Campagnolo 11 speed downtube indexed shifters

Saw this on a cycling FB group called Campagnolo Tech Talk. Neat hack. I'm not sure I would need 11 speed downtubes, but can't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Quote:
Just share one of my experiences on Index Downtube Shifters 11 speeds (that's right, 11 speeds) converted from the index bar end shifters 10 speeds.
Of course the main thread is here. I just followed it.
https://www.bikeforums.net/.../98357...gnolo-10-speed...
The only very little trick to meet (semi) 11 speeds is that I added "Jtek Shiftmate 2" right at the RD to shorten the pulling distance between of each sprocket from for 10 speeds down to 11 speeds. The Jtek's pulley is wounded for step-down pulling distance. Then for the 11th shift I just over-click it one more step, not fully index but as good as the chain engages to the largest sprocket well enough. The smallest sprocket is aligned with the chain - RD when the shifter is at the stopper on the washer.
After all, I can engage all 11 speeds riding on this bike nicely.
So far it works well, not perfect, but good enough to ride with no annoying chain rubs, etc.
This bike ...........
Cinelli Supercorsa 1984 (no bottom bracket spoiler)
--- Campagnolo Potenza Silver Groupset, panto and decorated by Cyclo Retro . Brake levers Chorus aero (hidden cables), Index Bar End Shifters 10 speeds converted to downtube shifters 11 speeds, Jtek Shiftmate 2.
--- SunXCD high flange hubset with Campagnolo 9-10-11 freehub, rims Mavic Open Pro
--- Other things like Cinelli Unicanitor saddle (60s or 70s I guess, oval logo), Nitor seatpost, Cinelli 1A stem (oval-Milano logo), Cinelli double crests logo handlebar,

Old 07-28-2021, 05:06 PM

Nice for a vintage bike upgrade.