Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 08:44 AM
Ari W

Ultegra 8000 rear short to long cage

It looks like Universal cycles has the cage plates to change an R8000 rear from short to long cage, am I missing something, or is it that simple?

TIA,
-Ari
Old 08-26-2024, 09:29 AM

Per Shimano's tech docs, the end adjust bolt (AKA B-tension bolt) is 3mm longer for the GS version. Beyond that, looks like the cage is the only other difference.

Greg
Old 08-26-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariw View Post
It looks like Universal cycles has the cage plates to change an R8000 rear from short to long cage, am I missing something, or is it that simple?

TIA,
-Ari
Send it!

You're looking at the GS not SGS right? Is there a 'long' cage for ultegra or is it just the GS 'med' cage?
Old 08-26-2024, 10:21 AM
Ari W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Send it!

You're looking at the GS not SGS right? Is there a 'long' cage for ultegra or is it just the GS 'med' cage?
Yeah, I think that I have SS, and GS plates are available. Just trying to get to a 32 tooth cog on the back, so GS should do the trick.
Old 08-26-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think that I have SS, and GS plates are available. Just trying to get to a 32 tooth cog on the back, so GS should do the trick.
Did you try using the 32 with the short cage? It's out of spec but I've managed to make an 11-32 rear work with a 50/34 front on a SS 8000 derailleur no problem. Shifts big big and small small without binding or drag.

My understanding is that in addition to a longer cage (more capacity) the GS also has slightly different geometry than the SS that allows it to shift larger cogs in the back (I've done as much as an 11-40 with a GS). On my Cervelo R3 for example the 8000 SS would NOT shift onto a 34 tooth cog full stop (even B screw all the way in) but GS did easily with the B screw quite a bit out.
Old 08-26-2024, 02:12 PM
Ari W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Did you try using the 32 with the short cage? It's out of spec but I've managed to make an 11-32 rear work with a 50/34 front on a SS 8000 derailleur no problem. Shifts big big and small small without binding or drag.

My understanding is that in addition to a longer cage (more capacity) the GS also has slightly different geometry than the SS that allows it to shift larger cogs in the back (I've done as much as an 11-40 with a GS). On my Cervelo R3 for example the 8000 SS would NOT shift onto a 34 tooth cog full stop (even B screw all the way in) but GS did easily with the B screw quite a bit out.

My track record with, “hey, this should work” lately has been pretty terrible. Was thinking that this is pretty close to being in spec, just don’t know if my bad luck streak has ended yet.
Old 08-26-2024, 03:01 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
My track record with, “hey, this should work” lately has been pretty terrible. Was thinking that this is pretty close to being in spec, just don’t know if my bad luck streak has ended yet.
well, if you'd have to buy the new cassette with out without the new cage, probably can't hurt to try just the cassette..
Old 08-26-2024, 03:57 PM

SS will work just fine on a 32 - I have no issues on Dura Ace R9100 (same cage length) and have run it for years.
Old 08-26-2024, 04:12 PM

I did the exact thing on an 8000 Di2. Pay attention to the spring when disassembling. It has been a few years but I remember keeping tension on the spring during re assembly was the hardest part. But still took at most 15 minutes.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I did the exact thing on an 8000 Di2. Pay attention to the spring when disassembling. It has been a few years but I remember keeping tension on the spring during re assembly was the hardest part. But still took at most 15 minutes.
Instructions for removing and installing the pulley cage are here: https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/RA...001-04-ENG.pdf

Greg