Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 07:27 PM
Back At It!

Wahoo Computer Update Anytime Soon?

I was just thinking that Wahoo seems to be running behind in the bike computer realm.. the V2s of the current models have been out for a while.. I'd like to see them come out with something to compete with the 1040.. I'm tempted to go over to the Garmin side since I just got a Garmin watch and already had a Varia..

Anyone have any news?
Old 03-19-2024, 10:54 PM

for some reason I thought we just got an update not that long ago? Perhaps I'm wrong but thought I remember it asking me to update recently

That aside what features are you wanting to be added / closer to 1040?
Old 03-20-2024, 01:55 AM

I think the OP means a new model, rather than a software/firmware update.

I preferred my Roam to my Garmin (540?), but the Roam stopped being able to download new routes and the elevation went funky (about 2 months out of warranty, annoyingly). I would have had another, but a) I was irritated with Wahoo products in general at that point (I'm sure I've posted in another thread about the Tickr saga) and b)there was a closeout on the Garmins which made it a no-brainer from a cost perspective.

But I'll confess to never having got totally used to the Garmin. I found the Wahoo much easier to use and - once you've got used to it - being able to customise and alter screens through the app is massively superior to 101 button presses on the Garmin.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:52 AM

Maybe we will see something later this year with a new Bolt. The updated Roam came out end of 2022, but it took time for them to hit the market. The original owner bought the company back in May of 2023, so the last year has been lots of restructure given how much the trainer market was filled with way too much inventory (still is in some ways).
Old 03-20-2024, 05:36 AM

See decent article

See link to decent article of Garmin vs Wahoo

https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/...olt-v2-roam-v2

My experience is that most people appreciate the simple ways to interface with the Wahoo units by using the cell phone app vs the complexities of the Garmin system. My best friend just bought a Garmin and then returned it to get back to Wahoo. On real life rides the Garmin people seem to have more issues than Wahoo.

Wahoo has been adding software features to more than keep up w Garmin. Wahoo just added black background. They also added the detection of climbs when not using a route.

I have a Bolt V2 and I can't imagine going back to Garmin but everyone is different. I think the arms race to new hardware is becoming more about software vs new hardware.

Alan
Old 03-20-2024, 06:29 AM

Another vote for Wahoo. I had a Bolt v1 and now a Bolt v2. The improvement in routing over Roam v1 is great. The hill climb thing in a neat trick. The UI is easy to navigate during a ride, and config via phone app is easy.

I took one look at the touchscreen UI of the new Garmin and want nothing to do with it. And the versions without touchscreen use the same UI, which is baffling (literally, what a terrible UX decision).

I have a buddy who uses one of the new Garmins and the start of every ride is 5 minutes of him clicking around trying to get it synced and started and onto the right screen. I'm pretty sure he's not a total dummy, so that doesn't really speak well of the UI.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:40 AM
Back At It!

good stuff.. the Wahoo is really simple.. guess I'll just wait for a bit to see if Wahoo updates their models..

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2024, 07:43 AM

I just bought a V2 Bolt, and I can't imagine what I'd want to change outside of the buttons on the side being a little easier to get to work.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 AM

My V1 ELMNT Bolt is still going strong. Probably the best computer I’ve ever had since the days of spoke magnets and wires to sensors.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 AM

I'm hoping that the original Wahoo Elemnt I bought here used keeps working until there is a new model that I want. It has had some uploading to RWGPS issues from time to time but otherwise worked fine over the 4-1/2 years and close to 24,000 miles I've had it.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
good stuff.. the Wahoo is really simple.. guess I'll just wait for a bit to see if Wahoo updates their models..

Thanks!
Are there any features you're waiting for, or just don't want to get caught out by buying the day before an update?

From memory, the things Garmin has over Wahoo are:
- higher res screen
- more training features (recommended workouts and recovery times)

The first is a nice to have for sure. The second doesn't matter to me, as I use a different app to track training/fitness.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:56 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Are there any features you're waiting for, or just don't want to get caught out by buying the day before an update?

From memory, the things Garmin has over Wahoo are:
- higher res screen
- more training features (recommended workouts and recovery times)

The first is a nice to have for sure. The second doesn't matter to me, as I use a different app to track training/fitness.
one is getting caught out buying the current model and then they announce an upate..

I did just get a Garmin watch as well and kind of dig the interactive training stuff..

also, I have the Bolt V2 and can see most of the stuff ok now, but my eyes are only getting worse at it pertains to near-ish vision.. guess I though the Edge 1040 might be a bit bigger than the Roam..
Old 03-20-2024, 08:59 AM
but not really

I'd like to see Wahoo using smaller bezels around the screen. Like our phones and computers, let's narrow the bezel!
Old 03-20-2024, 09:22 AM

I'm old and can't see small screens well (I should get those stick on reader thangs for my sunglasses) so I like my original Elemnt. Anything smaller wouldn't work.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:25 AM

Karoo2 is better than both IMO! Easier to use and a nice big screen. I hope they release a new model soon too. Thinner and lighter weight is my wish list.