Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 09:24 AM
cmg

OT: is classic rock killing the genre?

I hate classic rock. avoid it when i can. It now dominates free radio. radio without paid subscription. In SA if the station plays rock at all it's some form of classic rock, 10 year old music minimum. new music from a new artist is rarely heard. It has to have been a hit somewhere else first. the neil young thread got me thinking. end of rant........well maybe, metallica anyone?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:36 AM

10 year old music puts you at 2009. Neil Young and classic rock wasn't exactly lighting up the charts then.

Rock lost out as the dominant form of pop music right around the time Kurt killed himself.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:49 AM

I do find comedy in that most of the 'classic' rock stations now play everything from Janis Joplin to Stone Temple Pilots.

The music I grew up on is now 'Classic'
Old 08-20-2019, 09:49 AM

It might help if corporate radio did not dictate that 20% of what is played must be Van Halen, Def Leopard, or Bon Jovi.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
I hate classic rock. avoid it when i can. It now dominates free radio. radio without paid subscription. In SA if the station plays rock at all it's some form of classic rock, 10 year old music minimum. new music from a new artist is rarely heard. It has to have been a hit somewhere else first. the neil young thread got me thinking. end of rant........well maybe, metallica anyone?
Who listens to free radio?

Love classic rock here and what I notice is that paid radio classic rock sucks. I pay for satellite on two of the three cars, but not on mine. Pandora and podcasts along with occasional is all I really listen to.

Free radio here is also classic rock heavy and much better than what you find on satellite but the commercials prevent me from even attempting a listen.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Who listens to free radio?
This.

Programming on terrestrial radio stations reflects who actually still listens to terrestrial radio. If you want other, more recent music programming, you'll have to move to the mediums more frequently used by those who listen to that music - which in most cases means some type of streaming music. Not all streaming services are by subscription - for example, Pandora still has a free level of service.

When I was very young, AM radio was still the main source for modern music. By the time I was in college, FM was the place to listen. Then came the music sharing systems (anyone remembers Napster?). Now streaming music is the primary place to hear new music. Meanwhile, AM radio (which used to be the huge main market) has been relegated primarily to talk radio, and FM is largely Classic Rock and Oldies.

Are you disappointed that the record companies aren't pressing any new music on 78 RPM discs?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This.

Programming on terrestrial radio stations reflects who actually still listens to terrestrial radio. If you want other, more recent music programming, you'll have to move to the mediums more frequently used by those who listen to that music - which in most cases means some type of streaming music. Not all streaming services are by subscription - for example, Pandora still has a free level of service.

When I was very young, AM radio was still the main source for modern music. By the time I was in college, FM was the place to listen. Then came the music sharing systems (anyone remembers Napster?). Now streaming music is the primary place to hear new music. Meanwhile, AM radio (which used to be the huge main market) has been relegated primarily to talk radio, and FM is largely Classic Rock and Oldies.

Are you disappointed that the record companies aren't pressing any new music on 78 RPM discs?
Vinyl is back yo. New stuff is getting pressed.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:36 AM

I like classic rock and only listen to free radio. But then, I don't have a heart rate monitor or power meter or even a home computer. And in my car all I need is a CD player, yes a CD player, air conditioning, and power windows. All the rest seems to be overkill. Classic rock is far better than today's rap and pop music. Those suck.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where we have two Classic Rock stations. 107.7 The Bone and 98.5 KFOX. They play the same stuff over and over and over.

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion, Dude looks like a lady, Back in the saddle, Take me to the other side, Love in an elevator. Maybe, jussst maybe they might play Angel or Train Kept a Rollin but that's rare.

Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Boston, Metallica. You can probably guess the same songs. I'd love to hear Disposable Heroes or Leper Messiah at a time that is not 10pm Mandatory Metallica but no. Enter Sandman, Nothing else matters or Sad but true.

They are owned by two different companies but often one Aerosmith song will play, then change the station and the other station is playing.. .Aerosmith! Out of alll the songs and artists they still play the same artist.

And they don't play any UFO at all. Yeah not a big band but they have some great songs.

The 80's station hosted by Martha Quinn is not bad but then every DJ talks over every single song until the vocals come in.

I have a YouTube Premium subscription now that I play over bluetooth now.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM

My problem with most classic rock stations, is that they only play what were the hit songs. There are so many other great songs on all of those albums.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:04 AM

people still listen to music on the radio?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:07 AM

I don't listen to rock, but I believe there are a couple of commercial-free stations in the NYC area that play new rock: WFUV and WFMU.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Classic rock is 60's and 70's isn't it?

I was just thinking of this the other day. Being a Gen Xr who was in high school in 1985 I remember well the 80's music. There was also 50's, 60's, and 70's music. Well, in the rock genre. There was of course 20's, 30'2 and 40's too but that was for your parents.

So then there was 90's but was 90's the last of the "decades" of music? I mean I know I'm getting old so that may be it but is there a defining sound of the naughts and the teens which will very soon become the roaring 20's again?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
And they don't play any UFO at all. Yeah not a big band but they have some great songs.
If we had a thumbs up, you'd get one. That first album was...fantastic.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where we have two Classic Rock stations. 107.7 The Bone and 98.5 KFOX. They play the same stuff over and over and over.

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion, Dude looks like a lady, Back in the saddle, Take me to the other side, Love in an elevator. Maybe, jussst maybe they might play Angel or Train Kept a Rollin but that's rare.

Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Boston, Metallica. You can probably guess the same songs. I'd love to hear Disposable Heroes or Leper Messiah at a time that is not 10pm Mandatory Metallica but no. Enter Sandman, Nothing else matters or Sad but true.

They are owned by two different companies but often one Aerosmith song will play, then change the station and the other station is playing.. .Aerosmith! Out of alll the songs and artists they still play the same artist.

The 80's station hosted by Martha Quinn is not bad but then every DJ talks over every single song until the vocals come in.

I have a YouTube Premium subscription now that I play over bluetooth now.
Who listens to Live 105 these days?