Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
I can't really fault them for the Prius drivers...
Old 08-24-2019, 03:15 PM

I got myself a John Deere jersey and am amazed at the respect it commands on the back roads of NC.

For real.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:17 PM
Climber

Now that is smart!
Old 08-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Happened to me the first time this week. Laughed and blew the bearded man a kiss
Old 08-24-2019, 03:42 PM
50 bpm

From the late, great Performance Bicycle blog last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino
There’s a first time for everything. I was coal-rolled the other day.

If you’re not familiar with the term, rolling coal is when a driver dumps excess diesel fuel into the engine, generally with a modification or sometimes, I’m told, simply by flooring the accelerator. The result is a noxious cloud of diesel soot that says as much about the driver’s anger as it does about his or her lack of concern for air quality or fuel mileage.

I’ve known about truck drivers – not to be stereotypical, but very few Jetta station wagons roll coal – who have “fun” blowing smoke at hybrid cars that draw their ire, mostly Toyota Priuses. (Prii?) It’s been called a form of road rage at either liberal politics generally, the environmental movement specifically, or both. There are videos to be found on the Internet and websites that sell merchandise glorifying the practice even though tampering with your diesel emissions controls is illegal nationwide and rolling coal specifically is illegal in many states.

Coal-rollers also target cyclists, presumably for the same antisocial reasons.

I hadn’t been the enemy until a regular lunchtime ride from our office in Chapel Hill, N.C. I had turned off a four-lane highway onto a quieter, two-lane county road, a favorite for local cyclists and one that during weekdays has the occasional bit of construction traffic. I was hugging the white line on the right side of the road, as usual, when I was passed by a red Dodge Ram pickup towing a trailer. Suddenly, I was in the middle of a black cloud, thick and acrid, which not only made it difficult to breathe but impossible to see. I felt lucky to emerge after a few moments having not ridden into a ditch.

Funny, huh?

Like many longtime cyclists, I’ve had my share of run-ins with drivers. I’ve listened to taunting and threats, had drinks and other objects thrown at me and once, on a century ride in Georgia, had a driver flash his pistol.

But never coal-rolled.

I suppose the driver could have vented his or her frustration by driving me off the road or just hitting me from behind. I’m grateful that didn’t happen. I’m not so keen on being doused with a Group 1 carcinogen.

After the smoke cleared, literally, I continued my ride trying to reconcile in my own mind why someone would want to purposely poison me, which led me to the larger picture of why some drivers hate cyclists, period, and will go to violent ends to make their point.

For the record, I don’t hate drivers. I’m one myself. I know the feeling of annoyance that can creep in when you’re stuck in traffic. (I’m from California, where road rage was invented.)

I’ve also been the two-wheeled voice of reason in countless discussions about whether bikes belong on roads at all. I’ll save time by saying that unless posted otherwise, they do. Absolutely. And it’s been proven in the U.S. and elsewhere that cities and towns that embrace cycling have a healthier population and a better standard of living. And yet throughout the country there are running battles about whether communities should accommodate cyclists, how and to what extent.

There are things we do as members of society that are by their nature inconvenient. I get that. We pay taxes. We wait in lines. We take our shoes off at airport security if we’re not TSA Pre-Check.

And there are things we shouldn’t do despite the inconvenience. We shouldn’t cheat on our taxes. We shouldn’t cut in line. We shouldn’t yell at the TSA agents.

And we shouldn’t try to hurt people.

So, to my coal-roller I’ll say this: I’m happy to share the road with you. All I ask is that you don’t try to harm me when you reciprocate.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:06 PM

Had a stinking diesel pull over in the grass to let me by(on the bike) on a descend this week.
otoh I always hope to have one of those coal rollers behind me (in the car) on a 2 lane road. Make them feel what 30 mph is.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I'm sensing some classism and stereotypes here

Jerks come in all classes. I make fun of all of them.

Anyone rolling coal in a poser truck wants to be stereotyped.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie View Post
I got myself a John Deere jersey and am amazed at the respect it commands on the back roads of NC.

For real.
Good call. I save my Fly Navy jersey for days I expect heavier traffic.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
You know how with some people you see them for the first time and wonder whether they are a real asshole?

Yep, I just smile and wave, and quietly thank the guy for eliminating the mystery. It's even better if he marks himself with a confederate flag or something.
Yeah those flags are another indicator!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:45 PM

Had a clapped-out Miata pass a diesel-dually on a double-yellow two lane straight road and almost take our group out from the oncoming lane today... And a dude in a minivan honk and flip us off again from the oncoming lane. Extended truck mirror come within probably 1-2ft of me at 50+mph, again on a two lane road with a double-yellow. Cops could be printing money w $1k tickets on these roads - never see a single one. Got coal-rolled three times today too. This was a group of 8-10 people, mixed women and men, riding two up or single file, w lights. God bless America.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 12:32 AM

The scary thing is that the drivers of those black-smoke gushing trucks are angry, often drunk, and have guns. Worse, they don't care and are antagonistic.

Stay safe, don't engage them...the only thing possible would be to report them with a video (?). Any confrontation would not end well for a cyclist.

Don't know if a camera front / back which would clearly show a license plate would be evidence enough for the police to do something if the video showed this extremely dangerous driving behavior. Would it?
Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
From the late, great Performance Bicycle blog last year.
amen
Old 08-25-2019, 02:34 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
I can't really fault them for the Prius drivers...
Go ahead and explain this. I'm listening.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:09 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Basically a running joke from Top Gear...

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:55 AM

Weekly occurrence around here