Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Ted Wojcik hanging it up...mostly. Selling it all.

From Velocipede Salon:

Frame shop
Age and health have required a change in strategies. I have 40 years of frame building tools and equipment. I alone, can no longer produce enough labor to sustain the cost of continuing operation as it stands. I would be willing to share, lease or sell the contents and/or brand. The lease is transferable. If you or anyone you know has any interest or ideas, please contact me. Phone and email are on my WEB site.

Ted Wojcik
Old 08-15-2019, 07:59 PM

TW is an artist and a real craftsman. Never branded himself as he quietly kept on. We are losing some or many of the frame building masters recently, either through retirement or expiration. Hope the youngins can carry the torch faithfully.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
TW is an artist and a real craftsman. Never branded himself as he quietly kept on. We are losing some or many of the frame building masters recently, either through retirement or expiration. Hope the youngins can carry the torch faithfully.
It definitely seems that the youngins are doing so. Based on my thread and research, there are still a number of "older" builders still at work.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
It definitely seems that the youngins are doing so. Based on my thread and research, there are still a number of "older" builders still at work.
Right. I know quite a few and they are getting out of the biz, that was my point, along with the hope that others embrace the craft. What I see less of is a builder who does repairs and paints as well. Harder to find today. This thread is about Ted, however, so let's celebrate his work. PM to discuss further.

Where are the Northeasterners who showed up on Wojcik cx rigs on miserable days and won primes?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Ted is a great person in addition to being a great frame builder. I always enjoyed getting to chat with him the times I went by his shop.

Back in the 90s when I was a kid I remember the local shop owner rode a Ted MTB with a Marzocchi fork, purple ano for days on that thing. From that day on I always wanted one of his sweet bikes.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:46 AM
PezTech

I'm a Lotto win away from being able to afford just writing him a check... I dont need the Lotto for the cost of his biz, I need it to send the kids to school and retire.

It's a shame when we lose guys that make good stuff.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 PM

A few decades ago, I went to a Ted talk and he had to be one of the most humble guys around. The room was full of people that admired what he did, and his response was something like "Hey, I'm just putting tubes together".

I remember seeing a Wojcik at D2R2 this weekend.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 AM

I ain't dead yet

With the need to slow down a bit, some interested people have stepped up to help keep the shop running. There will be a formal announcement, some press releases, and a party at the shop in the near future. Concentration will be on Plus bikes, Gravel bikes, and a four bar dual that i have been tinkering with for a couple of years. Full custom builds will remain. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Options will include frames in a different material. It's not plastic.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:10 AM

That’s great to hear.
I wish you success!
Old 08-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Sad to hear stuff like that happening, in my country asian imports killed the framebuilding industry like 25 years ago. Here will go down eventually but will take long time IMO, already started 10 years ago...

THe only that could bring the framebuilding back is that the UCI created a league that race exclusively in steel and aluminum and only local builders from a country or something like that.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:41 PM

great news!

SPP
Old 05-09-2020, 12:49 PM

I had a Ted Wojcik

Ted and I hit it off we are both US Navy Vets. Had a Ted.

Last edited by LarryN; 05-09-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:15 PM

Last fall I did Ted King’s ride for the Kremples Center and came across a woman, riding along at a very nice clip, happily chatting with a group of friends. She had only one leg and was on a custom TW. It had a ledge off the seat tube for her stump and a very clever arrangement on the seat stay to hold her prosthetic leg.
She was an inspiration.
Nice work Mr Wojcik.
Wish you the best.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:22 AM

Great news and all the best to you Ted!