Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 10:31 PM
mentholated

heres two classic rock mixes that i made. all from vinyl between i think 1967 to 1976? each mix is about 40 minutes long, so they will both fill up a c90. so if you want you can like, mail me a blank tape and i can make you a tangible copy. home taping is whats really killing music.

https://www.mixcloud.com/gothbrooks/...rug-addiction/
seompi - summers comin on heavy
bloodrock - fallin
cactus - sweet sixteen
necromandus - nightjar
bang - questions
stone axe - snakebite
truth and janey - around and around
george brigman and split - vacation
lary mann the wild man - the meat grinder
buffalo - pound of flesh / shylock

https://www.mixcloud.com/gothbrooks/...of-a-spaceman/
ash ra tempel - cosmic tango
pink faeries - wargirl
george brigman - ts
sam gopal - the sky is burning
bulbous creation - satan
billy cox - you got a hold on me
alice cooper - below your means
colosseum - lost angeles

Last edited by GOTHBROOKS; 08-23-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:58 PM

From back in 2013...the thread OT Rock Radio:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joev View Post
My two cents...try a listen to KCDX, 103.1 out of Florence, AZ. Rock, simple, and commercial free. http://www.kcdx.com/index.php

There are some old, but obscure...sometimes not so obscure favorites but with a mix of all the songs you swear you've hear before, but just can't recall the title or band. It's so much fun to listen to.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
heres two classic rock mixes that i made. all from vinyl between i think 1967 to 1976? each mix is about 40 minutes long, so they will both fill up a c90. so if you want you can like, mail me a blank tape and i can make you a tangible copy. home taping is whats really killing music.

https://www.mixcloud.com/gothbrooks/...rug-addiction/
seompi - summers comin on heavy
bloodrock - fallin
cactus - sweet sixteen
necromandus - nightjar
bang - questions
stone axe - snakebite
truth and janey - around and around
george brigman and split - vacation
lary mann the wild man - the meat grinder
buffalo - pound of flesh / shylock

https://www.mixcloud.com/gothbrooks/...of-a-spaceman/
ash ra tempel - cosmic tango
pink faeries - wargirl
george brigman - ts
sam gopal - the sky is burning
bulbous creation - satan
billy cox - you got a hold on me
alice cooper - below your means
colosseum - lost angeles
I must be losing it. I see listings of currently popular music and I am not familiar with a single thing. Now I look at Goth's playlist from the time of my prime listening days and I don't recognize any of these either.

Last edited by Hindmost; 08-24-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:40 AM
mentholated

protip: sam gopals only lp from 1969 features vocals from none other than ian willis aka LEMMY from hawkwind/motorhead. sam gopal played the tablas instead of the drums, so it gives the whole lp a hashpipe vibe like that black sabbath song planet caravan.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Classics Fan

For anyone interested, WSJ had a piece yesterday.

Article Link - Pay Walled

Most of the meat is copied below for those without access.
Quote:
Older music is the biggest growth area in music streaming, according to Nielsen. Labels are looking to cash in on “catalog” tunes—officially, songs released more than 18 months ago—both from veteran artists and more recent acts whose earlier hits still have traction, while the streaming services are tapping nostalgia to broaden their subscriber bases to include people more interested in Led Zeppelin than in Billie Eilish.

Over the past 10 months, major services including Spotify Technology SA, SPOT -0.22% Alphabet Inc. GOOG +0.94% ’s YouTube and Amazon have created “head of catalog” executive roles, charged with promoting older music in ways that engage listeners of all ages. Apple Music, part of Apple Inc., AAPL +1.69% has had such a position for several years, as has Sirius XM Holdings Inc. SIRI +0.73% ’s Pandora, which has been expanding its catalog team.

Music companies say they are now able to pitch older music for some of Spotify’s popular mood and genre playlists. The “Summer Road Trip” list, for instance, recently included songs from 1970s-born bands the Cure and the Doobie Brothers alongside more recent hits from Lil Nas X and Meduza. “The Cookout” list mingles recent hits by Childish Gambino and Drake with oldies from Bill Withers and Kool & the Gang.

Streaming is more tilted toward catalog than sales have ever been, according to Nielsen Music analyst David Bakula. Retailers—both online and physical—have tended to display new material front and center, and sales of tracks and albums historically have been around half catalog and half new music.

On streaming services, focused on listening rather than sales, consumption is about 65% catalog. It is just as easy for subscribers to turn to familiar favorites as current hits, and the services employ automatically generated recommendations that don’t necessarily emphasize new releases.

“In a buying world, that recommendation doesn’t exist,” Mr. Bakula said. “The lift of these songs is living longer than it would have in a sales world.” And artists’ home pages on Spotify and Apple Music often list their most popular songs, playlists and albums more prominently than their newest work, he said.

Labels and music publishers, eager to introduce older songs to younger audiences, are increasingly seeking to license catalog music to ads, television shows and films. And a proliferation of music-oriented biopics and documentaries is driving more people—old fans and new—to stream the music of the featured artists like Queen and Elton John.
When Spotify started, in 2008, it attracted mostly young listeners looking for the latest hits. The service has invested heavily in algorithms that create individualized recommendations for its users, who now number 232 million, and head of catalog Johan Lagerlöf said older subscribers are the next growth area.

“This older demographic needs to feel at home when they enter Spotify for first time, because if they don’t feel at home the first time, they won’t come back a second time,” Mr. Lagerlöf said.