Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2022, 11:32 PM

Yeah, I would love to work at a place like that for that very reason but I would miss being married to my wife.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
They didnt like my Seven Axiom either

Its ok because someone else liked it twice as much.
If they didn’t like your Axiom, no wonder they puked all over my Yeti. Easy to sell on Craigslist during Covid though.

TPC prices were always high but Covid has given them a new excuse to add to their margins. Maybe Private Equity guys are running the show!
Old 07-13-2022, 12:06 AM

Someone with f***-you money just decided they wanted to make the Carmax of the bicycle world, and that's such a sad thing to aspire to be.

People say "oh, it's just market economics, if their stuff doesn't sell at the outrageous prices they'll have to lower them eventually", but that's just not the case. TPC will keep a bike at the same outrageously crappy price until someone dumb or drunk enough says "ooh $250 off this $3000 Allez Sprint with a dent!".

I've seen bikes and frames festering in their inventory for over a year. When you have the ability to warehouse used bikes ("The biggest inventory of certified* pre-owned bikes online") you can play the long game with your crappy pricing scheme. They just hoover up bikes from techbros and dentists that lack the social skills and free time to sell their bikes locally.

Literally the only thing useful about TPC is that you can look up a ballpark estimate for what a bike or a set of wheels weighs.

*I love the "certified" BS they push as well, as if there is any standard for certifying the safety of bondo-baby Flextape-edition Colnagos.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:29 AM
n - 1

My experience with TPC was much like my experiences at car dealerships.
I’d never do business with them.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktakashismith View Post
Someone with f***-you money just decided they wanted to make the Carmax of the bicycle world, and that's such a sad thing to aspire to be.

People say "oh, it's just market economics, if their stuff doesn't sell at the outrageous prices they'll have to lower them eventually", but that's just not the case. TPC will keep a bike at the same outrageously crappy price until someone dumb or drunk enough says "ooh $250 off this $3000 Allez Sprint with a dent!".

I've seen bikes and frames festering in their inventory for over a year. When you have the ability to warehouse used bikes ("The biggest inventory of certified* pre-owned bikes online") you can play the long game with your crappy pricing scheme. They just hoover up bikes from techbros and dentists that lack the social skills and free time to sell their bikes locally.

Literally the only thing useful about TPC is that you can look up a ballpark estimate for what a bike or a set of wheels weighs.

*I love the "certified" BS they push as well, as if there is any standard for certifying the safety of bondo-baby Flextape-edition Colnagos.
LOL Tell us what you really think.

In all honesty this was an entertaining read.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I sold my perfect, scratch-free, carbon Santa Cruz Chameleon (with a brand new Sram NX group and wheels) to The Pros Closet for about $2K knowing full well that they were selling similar ones with scratches and wear for about twice that much. They were cool to deal with and I was looking for an easy sale, so I was fine with it. That said, I checked back each day for a few weeks just to see where they would price it and I never saw it come up for sale. Either they have a deep well of bikes or someone said "Oh I'm keeping this one for what we paid the seller!"
I also sold them a frame but never saw it on their site.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:38 AM

[QUOTE=tkbike;3117759]Which they should have done, and they did.
Cust spending that many$$$$ should have requested and would have been sent a pic of every centimeter of the bike.
Having been a part year active member of the Atlanta bike scene for the past 60 years, I can assure you due diligence was not done!

They have these bikes boxed up in a warehouse ready to go, so no they will not send you pictures of the bike at all. I had a similarly horrible experience with Bicycle Blue Book when purchasing a Guru Photon that was listed as like new. When it arrived it had damage in multiple spots and was nowhere near the description.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
LOL Tell us what you really think.

In all honesty this was an entertaining read.
HA, another complainer w/o any real information about the company and it's 'process'. Always 10% but TPC is a BIG business, lotsa of people, many, many movie parts. Do they make mistakes? Yup, like any big company. Do they almost always 'make it right' if they goon something up? Yes they do, whether 'some' want to believe that or not.

BUT, in spite of the handful of 'this is my crappy TPC experience', they sell many, many bikes everyday and have many, many satisfied customers....

For right below..don't know but they are in the bike biz and the crew there has been at it for a while..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-13-2022 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
HA, another complainer w/o any real information about the company and it's 'process'. Always 10% but TPC is a BIG business, lotsa of people, many, many movie parts. Do they make mistakes? Yup, like any big company. Do they almost always 'make it right' if they goon something up? Yes they do, whether 'some' want to believe that or not.

BUT, in spite of the handful of 'this is my crappy TPC experience', they sell many, many bikes everyday and have many, many satisfied customers....
You are right. I just hope they are not on their way of becoming Carvana-like.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I also sold them a frame but never saw it on their site.
My first two sales to TPC were for a new/mint condition disc frame and a set of tubular disc wheels, and they never showed up on the site, either. My thinking is the same as tomato coupe's... if something "special" comes up, someone at TPC gets first dibs on it.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
My first two sales to TPC were for a new/mint condition disc frame and a set of tubular disc wheels, and they never showed up on the site, either. My thinking is the same as tomato coupe's... if something "special" comes up, someone at TPC gets first dibs on it.
Doubt that, bosses have their few personal bikes but the worker minions probably just get 10% off or something. If they get something mint - they can make $$$ and want that $$$ someway. Who knows what other distribution channels they have, even overseas?

I really wonder what controls are there for stolen bikes.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:07 AM

Similarly I've wondered whether they require a copy of the purchase receipt on any bike they buy from sellers. Especially important or conceivably valuable for bikes that have transferable warrantees such as Trek.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:53 AM

I could maybe see paying the premium they charge if if they added their own warranty coverage beyond the 30 day return, had a really great crash replacement program, or incorporated ultrasound or other non-destructive scanning to be sure there isn't any hidden damage or voids. I'd def pay extra for a used bike had a full ultrasound, a year or 2 of warranty coverage and a discount if I binned it into a curb. Beyond that, what they add doesn't seem to me to be a lot much more than a $150 retail tune, visual inspection, and a market place but charge the customer 20-50% more than 3rd party value.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:58 AM

This is why I am not going to support the corporate takeover of used bikes right here. A used 2019 Cutthroat for original MSRP after 3 seasons of use. This is price guaging imho.
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...at-rival-1-l-4
When they were more independent I bought frames, wheels and all kinds of stuff for what were reasonable prices. It has devolved into selling used bikes at original retail because of a perceived shortage of bikes. Forget their offensively low offers and just look at what they are asking for these bikes!

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2022, 09:04 AM

much ado about nothing at this point… a suckers born every minute and tpc
will not last.