Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:22 PM
new day rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Yeah, and Grant is over across the street bashing companies who do business the military...
You don't know what you're talking about.

Might want to get your 'Grants' straight.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Yeah, and Grant is over across the street bashing companies who do business the military...
Grant who? I don't think the Grant Petersen I know would bash anyone.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Would be much more willing to provide him with a gift certificate for the services of my accountant. Every few now and again we have to revisit how money works, it's never a fun conversation.

As an idle curiosity, I too am curious as to how $215k in gift certificates for life gets carried around on the books? It's a liability that will float around year after year, can you really spend it or does it have to be set aside and restricted and when do you eventually get taxed on it? How does it affect your credit with vendors? The California Dept of Revenue audit should be interesting as it will definitely be a line item that draws attention

Good luck to Ross and I hope he learns/adjusts as Rivendell/Bridgestone has quite a history in the biz and is better with the market

For the record, the MB-0 was a POS, irregardless of wheel size don't attempt that again. The the MB-1 and MB-2 were much better bikes as far as spec and construction. The MB-0 was made of tubing that was way too thin/flexy and came with pin holes in the welds...stock, it's probably the reason Ross hates go fast bikes to this day. Also had a bunch of weird mavic parts that were proprietary as far as crank lengths and stuff like that. It took me several tries to get an MB-0 that was sufficient to actually ride. MB-1 and MB-2 were the way to go
Who's Ross?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Would be much more willing to provide him with a gift certificate for the services of my accountant. Every few now and again we have to revisit how money works, it's never a fun conversation.

As an idle curiosity, I too am curious as to how $215k in gift certificates for life gets carried around on the books? It's a liability that will float around year after year, can you really spend it or does it have to be set aside and restricted and when do you eventually get taxed on it? How does it affect your credit with vendors? The California Dept of Revenue audit should be interesting as it will definitely be a line item that draws attention

Good luck to Ross and I hope he learns/adjusts as Rivendell/Bridgestone has quite a history in the biz and is better with the market

For the record, the MB-0 was a POS, irregardless of wheel size don't attempt that again. The the MB-1 and MB-2 were much better bikes as far as spec and construction. The MB-0 was made of tubing that was way too thin/flexy and came with pin holes in the welds...stock, it's probably the reason Ross hates go fast bikes to this day. Also had a bunch of weird mavic parts that were proprietary as far as crank lengths and stuff like that. It took me several tries to get an MB-0 that was sufficient to actually ride. MB-1 and MB-2 were the way to go

Hard to argue but they sure rode great before breaking! FWIW both my Ritchey P-Team bikes rusted to bits. Same same...
Old 03-03-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Grant who? I don't think the Grant Petersen I know would bash anyone.
Really ? Sorry to the Riv guy then. I always thought they were the same Grant-
Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 PM

Just bringing this to the front because I received an email about their 'slow' holiday and encouraging people to buy $20 gift certificates with a sob story. I don't know how they raised that much funding the first time around - what's that saying? fool me once...

The bike industry has changed and we've watched a lot of shops close. They need to change their business model (I get it, it's easier to say than do), or we're going to get the same email in 6 months... Best wishes to them.

Last edited by hokoman; 12-29-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:46 PM

I just read the email too....and Unsubscribed.

I've been a fan since Bridgestone but I'm tired of the begging and complaining.

Grant needs to figure out a different model, bring on a partner or throw in the towel.

I'm out.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Just bringing this to the front because I received an email about their 'slow' holiday and encouraging people to buy $20 gift certificates with a sob story. I don't know how they raised that much funding the first time around - what's that saying? fool me once...

The bike industry has changed and we've watched a lot of shops close shop. They need to change their business model (I get it, it's easier to say than do), or we're going to get the same email in 6 months... Best wishes to them.
Isn't the holiday season the biggest take of the year for bike stuff too? If they are hurting after the biggest sales revenue days now I don't see how it improves in January and February.

At what point does it resemble a pyramid scheme versus a survival ploy?
Old 12-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post

The bike industry has changed and we've watched a lot of shops close shop. They need to change their business model (I get it, it's easier to say than do), or we're going to get the same email in 6 months... Best wishes to them.
Just like shops that deal only with women or high end bikes, he has to realize that focusing on people who want friction shifting and ride flat pedals is too narrow. Even for internet sales. IMO, he need to try to widen his price ranges and actually try to appeal to fitness riders (you know those dern lycra wearing people) and index shifting. His quixotic idea of the ideal rider is just not going to make enough money. Of course everything I have read coming from him in the past would set him up to being called a hypocrite if he does.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I just read the email too....and Unsubscribed.

I've been a fan since Bridgestone but I'm tired of the begging and complaining.

Grant needs to figure out a different model, bring on a partner or throw in the towel.

I'm out.
agreed...and unsubscribed as well

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 12-29-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:32 PM

I guess riding a bike and looking like you just rolled out of a garrison keillor event isn't a thing anymore

There's a comfortable living to be made in the bike biz, but you have to be realistic and learn how to listen. Begging for gifts and taking on partners is death by a thousand cuts. Been a part of a sinking ship in my life, it sucks...and it's hard to listen
Old 12-29-2018, 07:51 PM

I actually tried to buy two things from Riv for Xmas but as one item was out of stock I only purchased one.

After seeing this thread (didn't receive the email) I went ahead and got myself a cool Riv shirt.

I love 'em but don't get me started. No wool Riv jerseys but plenty of bandanas and axes.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:52 PM
No one cares

yeah. Change or die, for the most part. Did you notice how Velo Orange used to jsut be about cheese and steel but now it's more like Crust Bikes meets Cheese? That's because Ultraromance and his cronies changed things, or you need to get on board or figure out how to sell your **** on walmart.com
Old 12-29-2018, 08:01 PM

Have no fear, that baby carrying bike will be their savior.

Someday, Rivendell will be one of those business school case studies.

On a positive note, that shorter chainstay Hunqapillar is a dream ride of mine.

Last edited by Buzz Killington; 12-29-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
Have no fear, that baby carrying bike will be their savior.

what is up with that ??? how much weed have they been smoking since legalization ???

Closed Thread