Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 12:27 PM

Pre Thanksgiving ride report: "Celebrity" sighting - Tom Ritchey

Sure was a great ride yesterday. Endless sunshine here in Santa Barbara. Met up with an old friend visiting SB for Thx and we caught up while I showed him my new favorite loop. I put a couple of my standard loops together as I'm getting back to fitness and I'm quite proud of the result, as it takes in all the beauty this town has to offer, on the best roads for cycling, in a tidy 2 hour package.

Up on Mountain Drive I spotted Tom Ritchey and his wife on their tandem, headed the opposite direction. I yelled a friendly "Hey Tom!" as we passed, and got a huge mustached smile in return.

No one else I've told seems to care very much (Tom who???), but it meant something to me. I was recently considering a Ritchey Breakaway so I had gotten steeped in the Ritchey lore as part of the research. Seeing (and recognizing) Tom in real life, in MY town, out enjoying the day with a friend just like I was, made me feel like part of a special community.

I am so thankful for cyling. It has taught me so much, kept me in shape, provided a focus and an identity at times when I needed it. I love bicycles: as objects d'art, as functional tools, and as a path to the joy of riding. They let me see my surroundings in a much more intimate way than I ever get through a car window, and they take me to special out-of-the-way spots I would probably never find or go to without them. I've been into it for the better part of 35 years and I still find new things to learn and do on a regular basis. In so many ways it keeps me young and curious.

I'm particularly thankful for Paceline. This forum... you all are MY PEOPLE. It is wonderful to have a group that shares and understands the passion. The quality and longevity of this forum is nothing short of amazing.

Cheers to all of you and THANK YOU for this community!

Last edited by chismog; 11-25-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:46 PM

I'm a little annoyed that SBA seems to be getting discovered right after I moved away, but hey...

...That sounds like an awfully fun ride, in a great area.

Meeting Tom, however briefly, at Eroica CA a few years back was one of the highlights of the day. He's an awesome guy.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:32 PM

So well put! Cheers to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
Sure was a great ride yesterday. Endless sunshine here in Santa Barbara. Met up with an old friend visiting SB for Thx and we caught up while I showed him my new favorite loop. I put a couple of my standard loops together as I'm getting back to fitness and I'm quite proud of the result, as it takes in all the beauty this town has to offer, on the best roads for cycling, in a tidy 2 hour package.

Up on Mountain Drive I spotted Tom Ritchey and his wife on their tandem, headed the opposite direction. I yelled a friendly "Hey Tom!" as we passed, and got a huge mustached smile in return.

No one else I've told seems to care very much (Tom who???), but it meant something to me. I was recently considering a Ritchey Breakaway so I had gotten steeped in the Ritchey lore as part of the research. Seeing (and recognizing) Tom in real life, in MY town, out enjoying the day with a friend just like I was, made me feel like part of a special community.

I am so thankful for cyling. It has taught me so much, kept me in shape, provided a focus and an identity at times when I needed it. I love bicycles: as objects d'art, as functional tools, and as a path to the joy of riding. They let me see my surroundings in a much more intimate way than I ever get through a car window, and they take me to special out-of-the-way spots I would probably never find or go to without them. I've been into it for the better part of 35 years and I still find new things to learn and do on a regular basis. In so many ways it keeps me young and curious.

I'm particularly thankful for Paceline. This forum... you all are MY PEOPLE. It is wonderful to have a group that shares and understands the passion. The quality and longevity of this forum is nothing short of amazing.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:39 PM

Old 11-25-2020, 01:46 PM
Administrator

yes!

i would love to meet him myself sometime and have a chat. ritchey bikes are the best, and quite a great value too. i love both of mine!

Old 11-25-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
+ 1 -
Old 11-25-2020, 01:59 PM

He is certainly one of the easiest guys to talk to that I have met in the industry.

He is so down to earth. Each time I have spoken with him he has always asked how I was doing, what and where I was riding.

Grace in life and on the bike.

Last edited by charliedid; 11-25-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:08 PM

He's the man. I would love to get one of those Ritchey Outbacks - theyre gorgeous.

I owned an old Swisscross and felt pretty awesome riding that!
Old 11-25-2020, 02:12 PM

Always liked Ritchey products. Unfortunately never had a bike but that's ok. Glad you had a great ride and I appreciate the positive story and thread. In a world of doom and gloom right now it was great to read. Thanks, Matthew
Old 11-25-2020, 02:14 PM

Funny enough, despite living in Palo Alto for a few years, the only place I ever saw Tom out riding was Mountain Drive in Santa Barbara.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post

Would you mind sharing the route? I’m headed down to SB tomorrow for thanksgiving and need to do a pre-turkey ride.

I love what Ritchey have done with the outback and the new breakaway tandem.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottshead View Post
Would you mind sharing the route? I’m headed down to SB tomorrow for thanksgiving and need to do a pre-turkey ride.

I love what Ritchey have done with the outback and the new breakaway tandem.
Happy to share!

Strava route here: https://www.strava.com/routes/2766820350252043156
(hit me up if you can't see this, I can export a .gpx or whatever you need.)

Convenient start at the wharf or Montecito Country Mart, but obviously you can pick this up anywhere. The trick is doing the loop clockwise which gives you some benefits:
A) lets you avoid the parked cars on the ocean side of Cabrillo by the beach.
B) the climb up Alamar and Mission Ridge to Mountain Dr. is a lot more gradual and scenic.
C) Descent down E Mountain Dr. to Ashley to Eucalyptus Hill is fun and twisty.

NOTE 1: I scoot through the Mesa Lane neighborhood to bypass the Mesa businesses and traffic. Nicer this way, but harder to route find. Easy bypass is simply Shoreline to Cliff Dr.
NOTE 2: To get across 101 after Hope Ranch to Modoc, take the tiny path across from La Cumbre JHS between Vista Madeira and Pilgrim Terrace, which leads you to a pedestrian bridge over the 101 to Pueblo St.

Last edited by chismog; 11-25-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:10 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Funny enough, despite living in Palo Alto for a few years, the only place I ever saw Tom out riding was Mountain Drive in Santa Barbara.
I used to see him on arastadero - hard to miss. IIRC he lives about 2/3 up Page

I never got my P-23 but we did have a fillet brazed skyliner,,,
Old 11-25-2020, 06:12 PM
#RYFB

Some time in the distant past, when it was possible to have social gatherings, the monthly shindig at Rapha LA was a panel discussion with frame builders -- Tom was there, along with Caletti, Allied, MMFG, and one other whose name escapes my aging memory at the moment.

The discussion was hit & miss (moderator didn't do a great job IMO), but I enjoyed it nevertheless. One interesting contrast was the scale of work for Tom versus the smaller independent builders. In particular, there was a discussion about metal forks, and Tom said that while he'd love to build some, it wasn't feasible given the stiffness requirements in place (apologies but I don't know anything about the industry and from where exactly these requirements originate).

He struck me as deeply passionate about cycling, frame and component building, and just had a pure honestly and directness about him that I admired. Basically, a mensch.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:17 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Some time in the distant past, when it was possible to have social gatherings, the monthly shindig at Rapha LA was a panel discussion with frame builders -- Tom was there, along with Caletti, Allied, MMFG, and one other whose name escapes my aging memory at the moment.

The discussion was hit & miss (moderator didn't do a great job IMO), but I enjoyed it nevertheless. One interesting contrast was the scale of work for Tom versus the smaller independent builders. In particular, there was a discussion about metal forks, and Tom said that while he'd love to build some, it wasn't feasible given the stiffness requirements in place (apologies but I don't know anything about the industry and from where exactly these requirements originate).

He struck me as deeply passionate about cycling, frame and component building, and just had a pure honestly and directness about him that I admired. Basically, a mensch.
sorta same thing...way back he did a night talk at Palo Alto Bicycles and essentially said at one point he wasn't the best person he could be and worked through that and then shared his passion for bicycle transportation in rwanda. he's a local guy who created ... it was quite the enjoyable evening