Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2023, 05:51 AM

Brooks Saddle options purchase/repair

I've been looking at Brooks saddles and want Ti rails. Very interested in the swift and swallow.

Did Brooks seriously discontinue ti models with no plan to bring them back?

Would be a shame if so... what would justify such a decision anyway?

Also, I found a Ti black saddle I'm interested in but then saw that Brooks doesn't state on their website that they recover leathers (as I'd prefer brown)...

Isn't the whole point of a completely rebuildable saddle, to be able to rebuild it?!?

I've always liked Brooks have used their leather tape for years, but what I'm learning seeing now, if true, is nothing short of off-putting.

Did I understand the above correctly? Are our options for rails limited now and new leather impossible now?
Old 02-24-2023, 08:05 AM

https://www.rhmsaddles.com/

New leather if you need it.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlevy05 View Post
I've been looking at Brooks saddles and want Ti rails. Very interested in the swift and swallow.

Also, I found a Ti black saddle I'm interested in but then saw that Brooks doesn't state on their website that they recover leathers (as I'd prefer brown)...

Isn't the whole point of a completely rebuildable saddle, to be able to rebuild it?!?

I've always liked Brooks have used their leather tape for years, but what I'm learning seeing now, if true, is nothing short of off-putting.

Did I understand the above correctly? Are our options for rails limited now and new leather impossible now?
As an aside..I love the looks of Brooks saddles. I have had a Ti Swallow, a Swift and a B-17(narrow)..Loved the looks, the Swallow on my Stainless Waterford with polished fancy lugs was stunning BUT...

I could not get comfy on any Brooks saddle..tried, futzed, moved, tilted this and that, raised and lowered, futzed some more...Could not do it.
Good news was they were a breeze to sell so....

BIG YMMV.....
Old 02-24-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Ask Simon

https://www.transportcycle.com/artic...pair-pg206.htm
Old 02-24-2023, 09:27 AM

Good info - I'm glad there are reputable aftermarket options.

The saddles certainly are beautiful. I've never found a good fit on another saddle yet, so I'm trying brooks just to see if there's a possibility they just might.

I wish I could find a Ti Swallow or Swift (or two) and at least one in brown.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:27 AM

I'm a big fan of used Brooks. Then somebody else has broken it in for me, which takes 500-1000 miles. I'm positive you could find a used ti Swift / Swallow, which will likely last you the rest of your life. I personally like the Professional and can usually find a used one in the $50 - $80 range.

The leather saddle I've put most ass time into came on a Zeus. I sanded the dried leather off and refinished the top. Probably 10,000+ miles later, it is a great mold of my ass, spine curvature and all. Still going strong in the nastiest New England weather (daily commuter).
Old 02-24-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I'm a big fan of used Brooks. Then somebody else has broken it in for me, which takes 500-1000 miles. I'm positive you could find a used ti Swift / Swallow, which will likely last you the rest of your life. I personally like the Professional and can usually find a used one in the $50 - $80 range.

The leather saddle I've put most ass time into came on a Zeus. I sanded the dried leather off and refinished the top. Probably 10,000+ miles later, it is a great mold of my ass, spine curvature and all. Still going strong in the nastiest New England weather (daily commuter).
This is a great strategy! How long does it take the used saddle to mould to you?
Old 02-24-2023, 01:07 PM

First time I've heard of RHM, so I checked the website at the link. Did you see the saddle that he is selling from his inventory that is built on a Swift TI frame?

https://www.rhmsaddles.com/inventory...te-yzgnr-synzz
Old 02-24-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
First time I've heard of RHM, so I checked the website at the link. Did you see the saddle that he is selling from his inventory that is built on a Swift TI frame?

https://www.rhmsaddles.com/inventory...te-yzgnr-synzz
Yeah - got the tab open as we speak . Thanks!
Old 02-25-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
This is a great strategy! How long does it take the used saddle to mould to you?
Still a while. Though it's likely to be softer.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:36 AM

Rivet saddles

https://rivetcycleworks.com/product-category/saddles/
Old 02-25-2023, 09:01 AM

Gilles Berthoud

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...narrow-saddle/

I had this saddle, but was a little too narrow and went with a avavis which is wider and works for me. A plus for these saddles is that you can get buy a new leather top or any part and rebuild. My aravis is 5 years old and going strong.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrj View Post
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...narrow-saddle/

I had this saddle, but was a little too narrow and went with a avavis which is wider and works for me. A plus for these saddles is that you can get buy a new leather top or any part and rebuild. My aravis is 5 years old and going strong.
WOW - that's way more beautifully built than a brooks. I wish it was cheaper... that dark brown is beautiful!
Old 02-26-2023, 06:36 AM

Berthoud

I really like their saddles and then do have a good variety of widths so you can pick the one that works best. I use them on all of my bikes. Have also tried the Rivet which is ok but not as well designed as the Berthoud.

I have the Soulor which is the narrowest steel rail model. Similar in size to most racing saddles. Very adjustable for tension and you can replace the leather when you get to that point.

Alan
Old 02-26-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I really like their saddles and then do have a good variety of widths so you can pick the one that works best. I use them on all of my bikes. Have also tried the Rivet which is ok but not as well designed as the Berthoud.

I have the Soulor which is the narrowest steel rail model. Similar in size to most racing saddles. Very adjustable for tension and you can replace the leather when you get to that point.

Alan
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but it's possible they've discontinued the Solour.

However, the Berthoud open looks awesome! I just might have to spring for it, looks beautiful! and comfortable!

The integration of the bolt is SO much better than brooks, and streamlined. The worst is with wear when the tip or nose of the saddle starts to point upwards breaking the lines of the whole bike.