Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Help w/tire width on a TACX Vortex trainer

My beautiful wife wants me to put her Specialized Roll townie bike on my TACX Vortex smart trainer, so we can ride together and spend more time together. Fine no problem happy to have you next to me dear.

her bike has a 650C wheel with a 650C by 2.3 tire. The tire is both too tall and too wide to work on the trainer. The tire rubs the cut out for where the tire should spin through. They are balloon tires for cruising, nothing special and stock. This is the first time she has wanted to ride the bike indoors next to me since we got it for her and I have got to find the perfect tire for this to work.

I am only in search of a tire as a new wheel or anything along that route is not worth it to see if she even likes riding indoors. So the rims are 35mm wide from one outside to the other so let's say 30mm wide-ish inside.

What tire can I put on there that would both "work" with the width of that wheel and not, not sure how else to say it, but not stand so tall off of the rim. It sure doesn't have to be a nice tire, but just not a mtb tire, something slick or semi-slick.

any ideas let me know. I have been to the TACX website, emailed them a week ago and googled everything I could think of that might make sense. I have ZERO experience with 650 tires so I don't have anything to try.

thanks

Dave
Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Tacx makes a 650 trainer tire that is 1.25 wide, so ~30mm:
https://www.amazon.com/Tacx-TR6900-P...8OE?th=1&psc=1

and I believe the feet on the vortex can move to allow for a heigh adjustment as well.
Watch this video, about 1:25 in
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/ar...-compatibility

Last edited by kppolich; 02-16-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Sure it's 650C and not 650B
Old 02-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Administrator

just looked at the spec website.

pretty sure that bike uses 650B tires, not C, which would almost certainly be true if it's a bike bought in the last two decades. 650c is pretty much dead, i think.

that opens the options up a LOT. also, considering that most common 650B sizes are close to the same diameter of 700c road tires, this should not be a problem.

there are literally a ton of 650B road tires with a smooth center section that would be perfectly fine for trainer use. the trainer specific one linked above would obviously be ideal.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Administrator

also dave, not to complicate the situation here, but if you've got a spare 700c disc wheel laying around with a road tire on it, it would almost certainly work on the rear of that bike.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Ex-Mr.President

ok I'll be honest I have no idea what the difference is between what C or B means so, forgive my mistake
Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Tacx makes a 650 trainer tire that is 1.25 wide, so ~30mm:
https://www.amazon.com/Tacx-TR6900-P...8OE?th=1&psc=1

and I believe the feet on the vortex can move to allow for a heigh adjustment as well.
Watch this video, about 1:25 in
https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/ar...-compatibility
yeah it can move up, but even in the tallest setting it is the part @ 1:37 and on where he has his finger on the grey plastic part that has the tire indentation. What I currently have is too wide and tall to fit in there at the tallest setting. You cannot remove that section with out the flywheel coming off, hence the narrower and lower profile I guess.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:40 PM

I do know I have wrecked 3 tacx smart trainers using too big a tire. Unlike others I have had nothing but fantastic experience with their customer support. They have replaced under warranty everything I broke.

The key is to make sure the trainer “midpart” is in the legs on the correct slot for the diameter of the wheel. I have learned on a 700 tire to only use 23 trainer tires with the trainer set up on the legs on the middle slot. If you are using a 650 wheel make the conversion for whatever size tire and be sure the unit is bolted together on the right slot for the diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 06:50 PM

To go further...the slot that the brake goes into on the base and legs....slot 1 600-640 mm tire diameter, slot 2 630-670, slot 3 is 660-710.

This slot thing is most important. Make sure to align using the “settings” on the tacx app on your phone or whatever and calibrate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk