Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Pittsburgh Dirty Dozen

Has anyone done it? I have done plenty of triathlons, marathons, ironmen, this one has me a little nervous. Few people finish their first go at it. Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:06 PM

It's a ride of attrition. I'm assuming you aren't worried about the competitive aspect. Pack very low gears and put your ego in check (ride conservatively) and you'll be fine.

You've got almost 11 months to get ready.

Disclaimer: I haven't done it but a bunch of my friends have. I am relating their feedback.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 12-03-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
It's a ride of attrition. I'm assuming you aren't worried about the competitive aspect. Pack very low gears and put your ego in check (ride conservatively) and you'll be fine.

You've got almost 11 months to get ready.

Disclaimer: I haven't done it but a bunch of my friends have. I am relating their feedback.
Have a friend who has "tried" to do this ride. His advice.....gears way lower than 1-1. Mt Bike type gears on a road bike unless you are really strong.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:24 PM

I should note that I know all my friends through randonneuring and we all ride triple cranks.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Tired Member

I did it with a 36 in front and a 32 in back.
It's no problem, really. I rode the second wave, but I should have gone with the first, more competitive wave. I think they will do next year's in October again.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 PM

I have seen some video of it. It looks wicked. Riders literally just falling over from not being able to climb anymore and can't dismount quick enough. I cannot remember the grade, but one hill is especially steep, one of the steepest in the USA. It is just flat out nasty!
Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
I have seen some video of it. It looks wicked. Riders literally just falling over from not being able to climb anymore and can't dismount quick enough. I cannot remember the grade, but one hill is especially steep, one of the steepest in the USA. It is just flat out nasty!
One of the problems is people stopping in front of you...who can't get going again uphill. So you have to plan each hill with maneuver room.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:18 AM

As this is the most recent thread, any updates or advice, seriously considering it for the end of the month and my wife is supportive.

Gearing options are 1:1 (33x33 on one bike and 34x34 on the other) but likely could get a 34x36 or 34x42(if it would work with a long cage road derailleur) if they'll help. I'd be running 2x

It would be the most climbing I have ever done in a single day, length does not seem that bad.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:29 AM

I did it 34 - 30 and grinded up no problem, but I was also in my 20s the last time I did it
Old 10-01-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
As this is the most recent thread, any updates or advice, seriously considering it for the end of the month and my wife is supportive.

Gearing options are 1:1 (33x33 on one bike and 34x34 on the other) but likely could get a 34x36 or 34x42(if it would work with a long cage road derailleur) if they'll help. I'd be running 2x

It would be the most climbing I have ever done in a single day, length does not seem that bad.
Depending on your bike/setup I've managed a 50/34 with 11-40 (XT 11) using Ultegra/105 mix (R7000GS rear derailleur). I've not done this particular ride but I've done a few in the same vein. Firm believer in bringing the lowest gears you can manage.
Old 10-01-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

I did it in 2019 with a 52/36 11-30 (at the time, MAYBE a 32 but pretty sure it was a 30). No issue... At the time I was about 188-190 lbs FWIW...

from what I recall the first and the last 2 climbs are by far the hardest. Maybe the 6th... there was a sneaky one in the middle.

do NOT be scared of Canton ave (the steepest road in the US or whatever). I honestly thought that was the easiest one except for people falling over randomly. Its less than 1/4 of a mile. Take a WIDE turn to get to the road so you can have your line set and pointed straight before you hit the brick part... for some reason it always rains on the DD day, sooooo there's that.

Pack your own fuel to be safe, there is some aid stations but the offerings may not be what you need/want.

It's a pretty fantastic way to see Pittsburgh. I was 1 group down from the "competitive" group. The pace through town was VERY neutral with a bunch of traffic stops too.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:34 PM
Everything is connected

This gent from LA posted a decent series on training for the ride. If you're in good shape, just run your lowest gear combination possible and keep your fingers crossed for dry cobbles on the steeper hills. Count on the other riders for support and the veterans for tips. There is a Dirty Dozen FB feed as well...good luck!

https://youtu.be/pRsZbwQOAMo?si=PM8Nsit2H9ixSob8

https://www.facebook.com/events/6201...NEWS_FEED&_rdr
Old 10-01-2024, 04:24 PM

Resident Pittsburgher and here’s my take. Use the lowest gearing you can. I’ve done it on about everything from 36-30 through 34-36. 34-34 is the sweet spot for me but my wife is a higher cadence rider than me and much prefers the 34-36. If you can fit 30c tires on your bike, that’s probably a good move as well.

It’s a super fun event, the competition wave brings out some awesome talent and the other waves all seem to have a nice sense of camaraderie. It’s a long day and honestly the hardest part about it for me is the standing around after hills, my body just does not appreciate a full gas effort followed by a 5-10min stop.
Old 10-01-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch16v View Post
from what I recall the first and the last 2 climbs are by far the hardest. Maybe the 6th... there was a sneaky one in the middle.
They’ve changed the order up a little in the past few years due to some road closures; they’ve taken out Logan (the #6 you’re referring to) which for many was among the hardest but was one of my personal favorites. The road surface has gotten really bad and at one point a local came out and was threatening people with a knife for blocking his driveway a few years back.

The last two are brutal, and it’s not just because you’re 11 hills in.
Old 10-01-2024, 08:54 PM

If I decide to do it I'll report back. If not this year, next year for sure.