Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 05:00 PM

If Quinn Simmons is a member of this forum . . .

He should be banned for being a jerk.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/qui...IQ_TIuQ6VPvOok

Quote:
In the roundtable interview on Friday, Simmons stated that his use of the emoji of a Black hand waving, was something that he intended as a joke. He specifically referenced the "Bye, Felicia" meme, which is sometimes used to express disregard or indifference to someone, but originated from the 1995 comedy film ‘Friday'.

"Honestly, I don't know if you've heard of the 'Bye, Felicia' joke from a movie a while back. This isn't the first time that I've seen this, and it is a pretty common joke that I've seen many times on social media before, and something that I've sent to my friends on social media as a joke. I thought it was more well-known, and seen as a joke, and being used, and because that's where I was, and that's what I thought of [at the time of the social media response].

"Honestly, it wasn't even a conversation I had in my head. It was the most recently used emoji colour, because when you type it in, it goes to the most recently used [colour], and I had used it before for the same purpose, and when I went to click on it, that's what it was, and it wasn't even really a thought.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:08 PM

While I agree that his political comments did not represent his team in a positive manner and feel the team had a right to suspend him, the "digital blackface" black hand emoji as an internet meme has been proven to be something more benign than that reported in the article you linked to. I accept his explanation, but not his behavior.

Sponsored athletes DO have a responsibility to police their behavior as it indirectly reflects on those sponsors. It is here the Simmons blew it. Hopefully, as a young athlete he has learned his lesson and will mature.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
While I agree that his political comments did not represent his team in a positive manner and feel the team had a right to suspend him, the "digital blackface" black hand emoji as an internet meme has been proven to be something more benign than that reported in the article you linked to. I accept his explanation, but not his behavior.

Sponsored athletes DO have a responsibility to police their behavior as it indirectly reflects on those sponsors. It is here the Simmons blew it. Hopefully, as a young athlete he has learned his lesson and will mature.
He learned nothing.

Quote:
For me, I don't feel like I deserved the suspension," Simmons told the media. "I realize that I didn't represent the brand in the way that I was supposed to, but to have missed the Classics [in 2020] and, straight up, I'm able to play a big role for the team, and I think to sacrifice that was probably, definitely, not worth it, for myself and the team.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:

I rarely comment on these types of things, but I totally agree. It seems he stepped on a hornets nest without knowing why...until after he got stung. I work for my government, and I know better than to say things that my employer wouldn’t agree with me saying! It’s an Oath of Emplyment!
Old 02-27-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:

If he offered the explanation immediately, along with an apology for his seeming insensitivity, I’d be far more apt to credit it. Even now, he offers no apology or remorse — just a belated explanation or attempt to justify his behavior. This doesn’t sound very smart or mature to me, and if I were his sponsor, he’d be gone forever.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:17 PM

Ibtl!
Old 02-27-2021, 05:34 PM

These kind of demands for bannings are strange.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:35 PM

How many of us would be left and how informative and entertaining would this forum be?

I don't usually bite at these threads. I'm not very articulate and don't like confrontation.

I'm not defending Quinn. I've been very disappointed by his comments. BUT... he's just a kid. A very talented kid. Confident and world to conquer. Who knows how he'll develop? I don't think I was a complete a$$hole when I was younger, but believe I'm less so now.

My wife sometimes calls me a two year old. I think it's really more 9-12. Give me a little credit.

Anyway, I wouldn't write him off just yet. Give him a chance. Young, talented and big ego. Of course he's going to make mistakes. We all do.

Last edited by gbcoupe; 02-27-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:58 PM

I use white emojis and feel strange matching the emoji to my skin tone (very dark brown). I'm also lazy and rarely bother to change the settings on my iPhone. One of these days a fellow POC may call me on my leisureliness. I guess there are a few areas of non-white privilege.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emojis.jpg (70.2 KB, 461 views)
Old 02-27-2021, 06:01 PM

Remember back in the day when someone said something idiotic but people just called him an idiot and moved on with their lives? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:13 PM

I think a crime this egregious merits a concomitant punishment. He should be forced to read aloud all the comments from the rim brake vs. disc brake discussions from the past year.

This will accomplishment many things. For starters, his voice will be hoarse for several days. So, no more stupid utterances. At least for awhile. And, on the off chance he is a Forum member, he will quit immediately, thus fulfilling your wishes.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:17 PM

I admit as a middle aged white guy, I don't fully understand the racism critique, but I think as someone whose job it is to get positive media attention for his sponsors, he definitely failed the "don't be a jerk on social media" test, with an addendum that extra don't be a jerk to members of the media.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
He learned nothing.
What an embarassing statement.

The pursuit of hatred.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:33 PM

He was suspended for stupidity, not for his political views. Since he’s still stupid, he deserves another suspension.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
What an embarassing statement.

The pursuit of hatred.
I’d like to think that we can have a discussion on The Paceline and even express differing viewpoints without leveling ad hominem attacks against those we disagree with. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding your post, and if so I apologize. But I hardly think that Flash’s statement was “embarrassing” or in “pursuit of hatred.”
Closed Thread

Tags
folly of youth, locked threads