Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM

I love tubeless for MTB & gravel but at the point where I'm going back to tubes for road.

With the high pressure anything but a pin hole is tough to seal, and the larger holes blow the plug out when bringing the tire back up to pressure. Then theres the mess when you have to put a tube in.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:33 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I love tubeless for MTB & gravel but at the point where I'm going back to tubes for road.

With the high pressure anything but a pin hole is tough to seal, and the larger holes blow the plug out when bringing the tire back up to pressure. Then theres the mess when you have to put a tube in.
What sort of pressures are you running on your road bike?
55-60 is about the max for me. 700x25, HED+ rims, 155lb rider.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
What sort of pressures are you running on your road bike?
55-60 is about the max for me. 700x25, HED+ rims, 155lb rider.
70-80psi
Old 08-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Anything over 65 PSI seems crap for tubeless. No coincidence people's passion for road tubeless correlates with bigger tires that you can run lower pressure on.

High PSI + thin carcass = aerosol sprayer all over the place.

Carrying a dynaplug helps a bit, since you can at least head it off before having to stick in a tube and all that mess. Keep that sucker handy!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Anything over 65 PSI seems crap for tubeless. No coincidence people's passion for road tubeless correlates with bigger tires that you can run lower pressure on.

High PSI + thin carcass = aerosol sprayer all over the place.
That's pretty much it, in a nutshell.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 AM

I switched over maybe two years ago. Schwalbe Pro 1 28's running 70 PSI on some pretty wide NEXT wheels and I'm 190lbs!

The only really issue with tubeless is swapping out tires. It's a pain - lots of cleanup and wasted sealant. Oh - and your valve cores can get gunked up and may need replacing if you use too much sealant. That's really it.

I used to run 23's (well - even the ol' 18/20 combo) back in the day at over 100 PSI. I felt like my teeth were rattling. Now, it's smooth sailing. It takes some getting used to - stopping the pump at 70 instead of 90, or even 100 PSI - but I'm never, ever going back.

Lastly - there's a lot of research about tire size and wide rims and pressure and all that. My own personal "research" - I'm faster than I've ever been, and more comfortable. Go wide, go low!
Old 08-23-2019, 11:29 PM

New Schwalbe Pro One

On tires...Schwalbe Pro One has been my favorite for a long time now. However, I've run in to bad luck with punctures, and they don't hold up too well in the harsh Southwest environment. So, last week I ordered some Vittoria Rubino Pro IV TLRs. No experience on those yet (they're coming from England), but yesterday Schwalbe released news of their new Pro One tires with claims of significant performance increases. What I've read about durability improvements are unconvincing, but I'd still consider them for a race day tire.

There's a lot to sift through, but a tubeless standard is also mentioned therein. Easy mounting....yadayadayada. I will look forward to reviews, but at a speculated $75-$80/tire, they're not promising nearly enough for me to jump at them.

Here
Old 08-24-2019, 05:41 AM

It sounds like some give and take with road tubeless.

I have had good luck with lower pressures and latex tubes (not that that matters…) so tubeless may not yet be something I go back too right now.

Mayne at some point self sealing tires will be a thing as well as easier mounting.

Until then perhaps I will just kick it old school.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Side question - are any tubeless tires tan wall?
New stuff from Schwalbe
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...e_TT_7393.html
Old 08-26-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post

I watched a youTube video on these and there was talk about a standard being adopted. That is what needs to happen.

For now I think I am just going to hold off until that point.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:11 AM

Last edited by Matt92037; 02-29-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:15 AM

my experiment lasted about two weeks

no real issues with mounting or sealant but i had no confidence that the system would work when i needed it to. and the whole process of dealing with sealant at all just did not seem worth the hassle to avoid the very occasional flat.

my idea was to get more cush and comfort and less rolling resistance on my stiffer steel road bike but in the end i was not going to hassle with the whole concept.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:44 AM

I've ridden 6000 miles on my Michelin Pro 4 and power endurance tires and haven't flatted yet. My wheels are not tubeless ready. Going tubeless isn't in my future.

One of the most recent complaints I've read was not being able to break the bead in order to install a tube for a bad puncture. If you have to carry a spare tube, plus a plug kit and some extra sealant, it doesn't seem worth, unless the roads you ride create a lot of flats.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:33 AM

Smile

I'll never go back to tubes! Pro 1's on Hed Jet 4's work perfect. 6 weeks so far riding all around Manhattan and no flats.......Plus the ride quality is amazing at 75psi or lower........
Old 02-29-2020, 09:40 AM

I'm a bit worried about rim damage to be honest. I have a brand new set of Schwalbe Pro1 28's that I got from a sales rep at a show. Have not installed them....yet.

Is my fear of rim damage irrational at 70 PSI? I ride 80 regularly for a couple decades and really don't have flatting issues but i mostly ride solo and pay attention.

What says you.