Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Road tubeless

I was a first adopter but left the scene as they were such a pain to mount and seat.

I know there are more options and it has matured but for those who have gone that road are you a convert still?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM

Haven't ridden them yet, but my Mavic Ksyriums came with tires pre-mounted. Just needed to add sealant.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:57 AM
That guy..

ive recently dabbled into both the tubular world and the tubeless world.
no regrets on both.

as for tubeless. i also heard the early options were hard to seat and you'd always see pictures of the aftermath of exploding tires.

my current set up is... 25mm external 18.5mm internal carbon tubless rim.
schwalbe pro one tubeless 700x28
maripost cafelatex sealant

lezyne floor drive + schwalbe tubeless canister.

installation was simple.
seat tire. sealant in via valve. air in. install valve core. ride and enjoy.

**i should add. before this set up. i was running Vittoria Corsa 1.0 TLR tires. those were just as easy to seat and lasted up until some metal scrap cut my tire from side to side in two separate spots. but any tire on any set up would have died from that.

Last edited by mktng; 08-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:00 AM

My bike came with Mavic UST rims and tires. They were set up with tubes, but otherwise were installed with the proper rim tape. Tires were easy to remove and install by hand. I easily converted them to tubeless and had a couple of flats on the rear tire that sealed quickly (I'm using Orange Seal Endurance). The only negative was sealant sprayed on my bike and got into the front derailleur cable housing binding it up.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Dipping my toes in that stream. Rode a friends setup & was impressed enough to want to try it. Will be building up a set of wheels, trying the new Conti TLR tires. Hopefully, getting them on won't prove a total pain.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Yes, road tubeless convert here after years of clincher+latex tubes.
The roads here in the city are so bad that tubeless gives me piece of mind and now have to carry less stuff on each ride. Win-Win.

Overall, the effort of mounting them has resulted in zero flats in 5,000 miles, the ability to run lower air pressures, and no loss in speed.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Kind of OK

After several posts where I declared my abject hatred for tubeless sealant, I'm seriously thinking of making the complete switch. The only issue I wonder about is the "spare wheels" issue; what do you do with wheels you don't ride very often?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:40 PM

I first converted over to road tubeless about a one and a half years ago and have since converted all of my bikes over with zero intentions of ever going back to tubed. I've got Gravelkings on my commuter and my gravel bike, and the new Conti GP5000TL on my road/race bike and I could not be happier.

The thing I don't quite understand is how much people complain about tubeless being messy, sealant getting everywhere, etc. -- this is a total non-issue in my opinion, both during initial setup as well as in on-road use. I've had one flat since switching over that the sealant couldn't fix and I didn't think it was a big deal to throw in a tube at all.

And to the argument that sealant sprays all over the place and creates this huge mess when you first get a puncture and it's trying to seal up -- first off it doesn't even make that big of a mess, and second off I would MUCH rather get a little sealant spray on my downtube if it means that I can keep riding with air in my tires as opposed to having to pull over and whip out the spare kit to fix a flat.

Also quick edit to add that the setup/mounting of both gravelkings and the conti GP5000TL tires was no more difficult in my experience than it was for any other tubed tire I've previously used.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:44 PM

Side question - are any tubeless tires tan wall?
Old 08-22-2019, 12:53 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
If you can find some: Schwalbe Pro 1
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/the-t...fruit-for-now/

Others:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tan+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by kppolich; 08-22-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 comes to mind

edit: nvm, the tubeless version isn't. Most tanwall tubeless tires are gravel/cross oriented and 30c+ rather than sized for road bikes.

Last edited by jtbadge; 08-22-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
I first converted over to road tubeless about a one and a half years ago and have since converted all of my bikes over with zero intentions of ever going back to tubed. I've got Gravelkings on my commuter and my gravel bike, and the new Conti GP5000TL on my road/race bike and I could not be happier.

The thing I don't quite understand is how much people complain about tubeless being messy, sealant getting everywhere, etc. -- this is a total non-issue in my opinion, both during initial setup as well as in on-road use. I've had one flat since switching over that the sealant couldn't fix and I didn't think it was a big deal to throw in a tube at all.

And to the argument that sealant sprays all over the place and creates this huge mess when you first get a puncture and it's trying to seal up -- first off it doesn't even make that big of a mess, and second off I would MUCH rather get a little sealant spray on my downtube if it means that I can keep riding with air in my tires as opposed to having to pull over and whip out the spare kit to fix a flat.

Also quick edit to add that the setup/mounting of both gravelkings and the conti GP5000TL tires was no more difficult in my experience than it was for any other tubed tire I've previously used.
Speaking as someone who had to comb the dried spooge out of my hair and scrub it out of a white jersey (didn't work), and it wasn't even MY puncture...I beg to differ. But I've come to like not having to repair EVERY little puncture.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post

My experience was the opposite. I rode tubeless on my road bike for over a year, and really wanted to love it. But, I got tired of the mess it created when I got a puncture. (I often was first alerted to a puncture because my sock was getting sprayed by sealant!) I also found the puncture would often re-open when the tire was pumped back up to "normal" pressures.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I also found the puncture would often re-open when the tire was pumped back up to "normal" pressures.
This happened with mine, too, and I was told (too late to try it out) spin the tire so the puncture is down, let it find the equilibrium point, & sit for a couple of days & it will seal it. Don't like the idea of not riding it for two days, but I have other wheels/bikes to fill in.

Last edited by makoti; 08-22-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Been riding tubeless road for 4 years. I just started carrying a Dynaplug Micro PRO Pill Bike Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Kit. I'm 205 lbs and have found that sealant often doesn't seal my punctured tires at the pressures I would normally run (25C tires at 90-100 psi). The Dynaplug kit has been great for these instances. Install a plug and ride the tire as if nothing ever happened.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHG5QOE...lig_dp_it&th=1