Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Just renewed in MA and forewent the RealID license. I have a passport card and I almost never fly.
Does the new one still come as a standard prize in a Cracker Jack box? It would be nice to see Massachusetts issuing licences that indicated that the driver could actually safely operate a motor vehicle instead of meeting some new federal requirment's for additionional information.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:33 PM

Jeez, I hope no-one mentions these to Spud Dutton It's all gone well beyond 1984
Old 08-24-2019, 08:29 PM

OT: do you have and enhanced ID?

I used to grumble about trips to the DMV and lived most of my adult life in DC and now 2-1/2 years in Manhattan. Places you would expect Kafka-esque nightmares.

With online booking and someone in charge taking a dose of “give-a-damn” both places have made my last few trips (over 6 or so years) pretty painless. Getting my enhanced drivers license in NY had me in and out of the building in less than 15 minutes.

Hooray for bureaucracies?
Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 PM

As a Pennsylvanian, I cannot imagine what an armpit of America DMV looks like.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post

With online booking and someone in charge taking a dose of “give-a-damn” both places have made my last few trips (over 6 or so years) pretty painless. Getting my enhanced drivers license in NY had me in and out of the building in less than 15 minutes.
Had the same experience last year at the MA DMV. Expected a $@#%Show and it was the easiest ever - in and out 15 min and new DL in hand before two weeks. Had been using Passport and passport card prior to Real DL. Don’t understand why pp card is good for land/sea entry into NA ports of entry but not air. Card is logistically easier to manage.

What a nightmare to orchestrate worldwide security ... sad there’s a need to...
Old 08-24-2019, 11:54 PM

The same as RNHOOD

I have Real ID, a Passport and Global Entry.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Missouri took years to figure their compliance out, I always had to carry a passport to fly the last couple of years I lived there.

Pro tip for next time, you can make a DMV appointment online ahead of time and walk right in.
Pro pro tip: In CA you can log onto the DMV website and do all of your application there. You get a reference number and you bring in your required paperwork to the DMV. Once I got to the window it took about 10 minutes and a quick pic and I was done.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:12 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I got it last spring.

Used the AAA route.

Again, MA is going to require them shortly so why have to go through the license renewal twice?

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 AM

As I recall, Maine was one of the states that got an extension, with Oct being the final deadline. Not sure how to go about getting one but our DMV is not so bad here.

On a related note, as our savvy international travelers will know, travelling internationally requires a passport that is valid some months-maybe nine- into the future. I have a colleague who found that out the hard way.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
As I recall, Maine was one of the states that got an extension, with Oct being the final deadline. Not sure how to go about getting one but our DMV is not so bad here.

On a related note, as our savvy international travelers will know, travelling internationally requires a passport that is valid some months-maybe nine- into the future. I have a colleague who found that out the hard way.
Generally, six months from the date you are exiting the USA.

Got my REAL ID in July, as we travel quite a bity and I don't want to have to remember to carry my passport within the US if I can avoid it.

DMV here requires (and scans) original documents certifying your US citizenship status, birth date and home address. That means, for instance, an actual printed paper SS card. In my case the original SS card had been damaged and I needed to spend an extra few 'bonus' hours at the local SS office to apply for a reissue (mine was so old they wouldn't allow me to apply online).

Several state, including Maryland, started issuing REAL IDs without supporting paperwork, allowing recipients to come back later with their docs. Apparently, about a million folks...didn't. Now the face the same October deadline was the rest of the country.

My suggestion is go ahead and get one now, avoid the rush.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:44 AM

In NY just make sure to double check the NY Motor Vehicles web page for acceptable proofs and make an appointment if they have one available. As stated earlier in this thread, you need a social security card. I didn't have one and wound up having to make two three trips, one to MV, one to the social security office, then back to MV.

If you have a passport already, you can get by with the Real ID in NY. An enhanced ID costs an extra $30 but I can't see any advantage if you have a passport already. Oh, enhanced has an American Flag on it and real ID only has a star on it. So, if you are into the Flag it will cost you $30. And I guess if you drive across to Canada daily or weekly you can get in and out with Enhanced but not with the Real. Or just carry your passport and Real ID.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:08 AM

For anyone who goes back and forth Canada/USA, the NEXUS card is a huge time saver. Dedicated line at border crossings, at airport security, and customs at the airport. Also puts you in the trusted traveler program.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Damnit.

Just learned my current NJ drivers license is not an “enhanced” ID. This will require me to go to the MVC to get one even though my current license does not expire for years. Apparently Oct 2020 these will be req’d to board all domestic flights

I predict widespread airport chaos.

Grumble
agreed, it will be mayhem at airports (courthouses, Federal agency buildings etc). Kansas gives people the option for a "real ID" or not. While waiting in line I watched several people opt out because they did not want to/or could not find the ID documents. Tightening up on document security is good, the first time through its a hassle, but I was a mistake to let people opt-out.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
My permanent residence is on MI, a border state. I have had ‘enhanced id’ forever. It costs more, and I keep it in a rfid blocking sleeve.

I have no idea if it will work for trips to Canada or Mexico much longer.

What a world.

I had one in WA state as well but it was not up to the current standard so I had to get a "new" enhanced ID. It turned out that I needed to renew this year anyway so it was not a big deal.

My new one does work for Canada but you may have to get an updated one too.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
For anyone who goes back and forth Canada/USA, the NEXUS card is a huge time saver. Dedicated line at border crossings, at airport security, and customs at the airport. Also puts you in the trusted traveler program.
I will have to look into this. We probably go 5x a year so it may be worth it.