Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 AM

Diluted Dawn dish soap for chain cleaner?

I was using some Pedros degreaser for parts cleaning and then called them to ask if I could dilute it to use in a chain cleaner. It was a bit too thick to do in directly. They gave me the ratio of degreaser to water and it worked out ok.
Had me thinking, since I use Dawn blue dish soap to clean a lot of other parts, can I just dilute that and clean the chain.

Anyone else ever do this? Any down sides? Can't really imagine there would be. What ratio to water did you use?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 AM

I have done that a couple of times, it works but you have to oil the chain back big time as makes sense.

I like fuel (or anything that nature) better tho because the only thing you will need is a small brush, with detergent and water the stuff wont come out as quick as with fuel which brakes down the oil and grease right away. U need to work way too much with detergent.

The other thing it works but you need to let that thing seated is just submerge the chain in oil, the other option is to use papertowels wet in oil, or oil the chain and then clean with paper towels. Faster and will get the cr@p out aswell.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 04-21-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I was using some Pedros degreaser for parts cleaning and then called them to ask if I could dilute it to use in a chain cleaner. It was a bit too thick to do in directly. They gave me the ratio of degreaser to water and it worked out ok.
Had me thinking, since I use Dawn blue dish soap to clean a lot of other parts, can I just dilute that and clean the chain.

Anyone else ever do this? Any down sides? Can't really imagine there would be. What ratio to water did you use?

I've used dish soap for 30 years. Works great. Bucket and large sponge, turn cranks, squeeze sponge as you hold chain.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post

Haven't done that specifically but have used degreeaser and hot water for a long time..Only things to remember is good degreasers really take all the lube outta the chain and water based so if you let the chain set too long, it 'can' rust'..
Old 04-21-2019, 09:36 AM

If you want to get all of the grit out the inner parts of the chain, nothing beats a petroleum product, but don't use gasoline. Diesel fuel is really a light oil and leaves a lot of residue. Mineral spirits works great, and so does naptha, that can be bought cheaply a camp stove fuel. Crown brand is about $8.50 a gallon at Walmart.

Not a fan of water based stuff. You have to rinse with plain water and then dry the chain by some method, before lubing. I wouldn't put it into my septic system.

Wiping a chain does nothing but make it look better on the outside, and leaves all the wear causing grit inside the chain.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:01 AM

I'm looking more to use in my Finish Line chain cleaner.
Make up the solution in a bottle and grab it for those quick post ride cleanups.

For the heavy duty cleanups where I remove the chain, I use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM

I used dish washing soap.. but boil up some water then pour into metal pan add soap and chain.. comes clean with brush easy...then rinse...dry.. lube.. some parts cleaner boxes have heaters....

Last edited by lemondvictoire; 04-21-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:42 AM

When I have a really grungy chain I'll put it in a container with either Kerosene, Diesel, or Mineral Spirits and agitate.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Thats the quickest way... and dry super fast, with water is like a pita to dry because gets here and there...
Old 04-21-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Haven't done that specifically but have used degreeaser and hot water for a long time..Only things to remember is good degreasers really take all the lube outta the chain and water based so if you let the chain set too long, it 'can' rust'..
I always thought that was the idea, get all of the lube out?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 PM

I usually use concentrated degreaser. Dilute as you see fit. Degreaser is what really gets all the oil and grease off compared to soap. After I get the parts cleaned with degreaser I wash it with dish soap and dry off as fast as possible. The dish soap helps remove any degreaser residue. You don't want and degreaser on your parts when you lube them.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 PM

I have been unable to tell how totally submerging a dirty chain in soapy water, then relubing, extends it's life. Or even soaking it in a petroleum based cleaner, then relubing, extends it's life. You are taking all the "interior" lube out of the chain.

And I've cleaned chains about all the ways possible. And kept track of how many miles they lasted.

I believe a chain lasts just as long if you clean it with a rag wet with a petroleum based solution....running the chain thru your hand until it looks mostly clean...leaving the lube inside the chain....then putting a few drops of your favorite oil around the chain...riding it and allowing the freshly lubed (but not wet) chain to distribute the new lube around while riding. Doesn't take much lube to get all around a chain. My chains usually look clean and don't accumulate much dirt...on chain or pulleys. But I usually put a couple drops of oil around about every ride...or every other ride and let it work in.

Talking road use. Don't have experience with muddy bikes. And I don't ride in rain.(maybe once or twice a year get caught in a storm)

Last edited by Ralph; 04-21-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 PM

I use Dawn as a degreaser and rinse / relube thoroughly. I don't soak, but do a quick scrub.

The only lube i've had an issue with is Boeshield T-9. It was like all the lube would get removed but leave behind some kind of dry, dark particulate (if that makes sense). Don't know if it was something in the lube, dirt or aluminum wear dust.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I have been unable to tell how totally submerging a dirty chain in soapy water, then relubing, extends it's life.
I'm on dry asphalt roads 99.7% of the time and just wipe the chain with a rag after most rides. chain never comes off the bike until it gets replaced.

using $30 KMC chains, I typically get 8-10K miles out of them.

the whole 'deep clean' routine using petroleum solvents and ultra-sonic baths seems way too labor-intensive. if a chain is that grungy, I'd rather just replace it.

but, if I did go to the off-the-bike cleaning regimen, definitely wouldn't use soap and water.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Might depend on what you use to lube the chain. I use motor oil, and use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean. Dish soap doesn't cut the grime.

A shocking amount of grit is left at the bottom of the cleaner from the chain...