Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2021, 03:06 PM

Bike Boxes Advice

Hello good people*–*I am looking for a bike box for some travel (domestic/international) for a carbon bike (integrated handlebar). Some of those soft solutions seem economic when I am put and need to keep this somewhere in the apartment.

Any tips/experience would be much appreciated! 🙏
Old 10-16-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byedit View Post
Hello good people*–*I am looking for a bike box for some travel (domestic/international) for a carbon bike (integrated handlebar). Some of those soft solutions seem economic when I am put and need to keep this somewhere in the apartment.

Any tips/experience would be much appreciated! 🙏
I use the Scicon Aerotech hard shell case for flying and the Trico iron case for mailing my bikes. Your integrated bars are going to be the limitation. I favor hard shell to fly firstly because the fine airline print says any damage in a soft sided cases is not their fault. Second, the hard shell has been outstanding and intuitive for TSA to open. I think if you take you integrated bars off the steerer tube that case would work. It is cheaper if you buy directly from Scicon. The Trico iron case is a beast for mailing but will not work with integrated bars I think but never tried.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:10 PM

I took a bike to Germany in a Post Carry Transfer Case and it worked great. Took a little disassembly to pack but nothing that was too challenging. I don’t have experience with any other cases for what it’s worth. Good luck, and it was worth the effort to have my own bike for the six months I was overseas.
Pat
https://postcarry.co/products/transfer-case
Old 10-16-2021, 07:40 PM

One area that could get overlooked as it was for me, was the size of the bag and how it will fit in your car to and from airport.
I ended up needing an uber xl as my sons car was too small for two bike bags at destination.
In the end I was happy to have gone the Postcarry bags as I was able to pack both bikes and a bit of luggage in my Camry to and from the airport. I could only imagine what it would have been like with a evoc style bags and how we would start our travels.
Bikes traveled successfully without damage. But could make an argument to just ship the bikes instead.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslow View Post
I use the Scicon Aerotech hard shell case for flying and the Trico iron case for mailing my bikes. Your integrated bars are going to be the limitation. I favor hard shell to fly firstly because the fine airline print says any damage in a soft sided cases is not their fault. Second, the hard shell has been outstanding and intuitive for TSA to open. I think if you take you integrated bars off the steerer tube that case would work. It is cheaper if you buy directly from Scicon. The Trico iron case is a beast for mailing but will not work with integrated bars I think but never tried.
Useful info! I had no idea about the airline small print! The integrated handlebar seems like something to look into more; I know that some of the other boxes (say Topeak) come with a set of parts to make sure nothing falls off the headset.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpat View Post
I took a bike to Germany in a Post Carry Transfer Case and it worked great. Took a little disassembly to pack but nothing that was too challenging. I don’t have experience with any other cases for what it’s worth. Good luck, and it was worth the effort to have my own bike for the six months I was overseas.
Pat
https://postcarry.co/products/transfer-case
These didn't come up in my research, thank you! No issues with being a soft case I take it?
Old 10-17-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaul View Post
One area that could get overlooked as it was for me, was the size of the bag and how it will fit in your car to and from airport.
I ended up needing an uber xl as my sons car was too small for two bike bags at destination.
In the end I was happy to have gone the Postcarry bags as I was able to pack both bikes and a bit of luggage in my Camry to and from the airport. I could only imagine what it would have been like with a evoc style bags and how we would start our travels.
Bikes traveled successfully without damage. But could make an argument to just ship the bikes instead.
I am absolutely thinking about this *–*especially as I would need to store it in my apartment when not traveling. A local bike store can pack/rent a box, which is something to consider too.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
These didn't come up in my research, thank you! No issues with being a soft case I take it?
I’d call it semi soft as there is foam that gives it some rigidity and once the bike is packed, the case feels solid, nothing rattling around or moving about. I was pleased with it and my Salsa Journeyman (an admittedly not fragile bike) made the round trip just fine.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:27 PM

Buxum boxes are light years ahead of other hard cases.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
Buxum boxes are light years ahead of other hard cases.
I am looking into those –*they feel like overkill though no? I can't imagine where to store when not travelling
Old 10-18-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpat View Post
I’d call it semi soft as there is foam that gives it some rigidity and once the bike is packed, the case feels solid, nothing rattling around or moving about. I was pleased with it and my Salsa Journeyman (an admittedly not fragile bike) made the round trip just fine.
Super –*thanks for the info!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:20 AM

Any input on SCI-CON AEROCOMFORT PLUS ROAD TSA 3.0 BIKE TRAVEL BAG?

https://www.racycles.com/equipment/a...439?sku=132358

(realizing it is soft, so offers less protection, but easier to store)
Old 10-19-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I am looking into those –*they feel like overkill though no? I can't imagine where to store when not travelling
They definitely take up space but less than many other hard cases, in part because you can store it split if need be. The two halves completely seperate and I suppose you could get creative tetrising them together.

I dont know if i would classify them as ‘overkill’ - they are much lighter and more manueverable than other hard cases i have used and easier to pack with the dropout mounts and more protective than anything I have used. I once had a tsa guy thank me because the latch style opening and ease of lifting off the top/replacing was much easier to work with than other cases.

I have over 50 odd flight legs with mine and am very satisfied.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:48 AM

I just did my first long haul flight to Asia with a B&W Bike Box and am really happy with it. It's not cheap, but it made everything so, so easy. Frame fit in really easily, high quality construction, and the wheel bags are nice. When I unpacked the bike the day after I arrived, only took me about 30 minutes to get the bike ready to ride.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlx View Post
I just did my first long haul flight to Asia with a B&W Bike Box and am really happy with it. It's not cheap, but it made everything so, so easy. Frame fit in really easily, high quality construction, and the wheel bags are nice. When I unpacked the bike the day after I arrived, only took me about 30 minutes to get the bike ready to ride.
Thanks! Sorry, I missed this reply.