Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
thanks for clarifying. What is the HAZ, by the way?

My hope is that Shimano would come out with wireless Di2 as to render all this moot (not a fan of Sram eTap).
Heat Affected Zone.

If Mavic could do it 20 years ago, I'm sure Shimano will figure out wireless someday.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
thanks for clarifying. What is the HAZ, by the way?

My hope is that Shimano would come out with wireless Di2 as to render all this moot (not a fan of Sram eTap).
Don't hold your breath. Like BB30 cranks, I don't think shimano(or Campag, for that matter) see any advantage to wireless save for installation on a few(older) not plumbed for electronic, frames. For the very large, major, portion of their market(speaking shimano here), OE, these frames from trekspec-edgiantcannondale, are all plumbed for electronic or mechanical.

IMHO, of course.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:17 PM

I would simply contact the builder of the frame first, before taking a drill to a titanium frame.

As has been mentioned, titanium is notch-sensitive to even the slightest of surface irregularities as resulting from any cutting, drilling or reaming operation. Resultant work-hardening of any cut surface in itself can lead to stress concentration of the sort that might initiate a crack's starting point.

Those nice rubber grommets give a most finished look, but disguise any ill-advised drilling.

The frame's maker will know best, and using their prescribed/documented method will greatly improve your frame's resale value.