Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 AM

Highly recommend Tire Rack. They have an easy to use tire selector and unbeatable price. When you narrow your choice down, call and speak to a customer service person. They will ship directly to your auto mechanic to install as well. I ordered on a Tuesday at 11am, shop had them by noon the next day.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Highly recommend Tire Rack. They have an easy to use tire selector and unbeatable price. When you narrow your choice down, call and speak to a customer service person. They will ship directly to your auto mechanic to install as well. I ordered on a Tuesday at 11am, shop had them by noon the next day.
Also, check to see if they have a warehouse in your area. I have one about 25 miles away. Saves on shipping.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Administrator

also, they have agreed upon rates with many local installers. you can see exactly what it will cost for mount and balance, and they tire shop cant make up silly prices on the spot. i have found that to be very helpful over the years.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:46 PM

Hakkapelitta

We survived Dieselgate and replaced our 2 leased GSW TDIs with new GSW-S with All-wheel-drive. I didn’t want the All-track because we had 2 sets of 16” Nokians already. The first night we brought the cars home, our driveway had 4” of fresh snow, the cars zipped right up with no issue. The TDIs struggled due to the steep grade (22% max, average 12) but the new cars with those tires were unstoppable last winter.

I’ve since been told that the S model in AWD is out of production due to demand for the All Track. Also, there are no TPMS in our cars but in mine, the system will tell me I have a pressure loss about once a month. I check the tires, restart the car, and the warning goes away.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:18 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yeah, that happened to me once. Less than 24 hours for four tires mounted on wheels. Amazing.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:06 AM

Buy a set of snows mounted on steel wheels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Michelin X-Ice. Really good non-studded winter tire. Nice and quiet too.

Can order from TireRack with wheels or just as tires. Have them mounted at your favorite shop (LAS, not LBS...)
This is exactly what we have done for years in New Hampshire. Very happy with these tires for grip, noise and wear. Mounted on steel wheels pays for its self in a couple of years in the mounting/unmounting costs and your nicer rims don't take a beating.

They way I see it, you are extending the wear on you regular tires, getting better traction (even without snow, winter tires drip better in cold that all seasons) and if it saves me a single deductible from sliding into another car/curb/tree then it is a win. Only downside is storing them.

Warren