Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 AM

Heated apparel

Came across this. Anyone ever use these or any other heated apparel?

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/pr...om-ekoi-309513
Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 AM

I have a teammate that uses some brand of heated glove. They look similar to the gloves in the ad you posted, but aren't the same. He just got them this season.

He has Reynaud's Syndrome and gets cold digits easily. The gloves appear to help, as I've never seen him ride in temps as cold as he has this season. He's not riding in really cold temps (below freezing, for example) but they allow him some extra capacity for getting outside.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:41 AM

I thought this would be a thread about Rapha and Assos.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I use it on my motorcycle. Can comfortably ride into the 20s. But of course, it has 500w output at 5000rpm, so can easily power a vest and gloves without draining the battery. Not sure how long it would last powered by a smaller battery. I'd sure hate to rely on this to stay warm enough to be safe... and then have it run out of battery.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Never tried any form of heated apparel. They are becoming more and more popular in the ski industry as well. The gloves probably work pretty well, but I'm not sure about heated overshoes. It makes more sense to me to have the heat inside the shoe instead of outside. Heated insoles are pretty common for ski boots these days, I think those would work better paired with either a winter shoe or a standard overshoe.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I use it on my motorcycle. Can comfortably ride into the 20s. But of course, it has 500w output at 5000rpm, so can easily power a vest and gloves without draining the battery. Not sure how long it would last powered by a smaller battery. I'd sure hate to rely on this to stay warm enough to be safe... and then have it run out of battery.
I'm with you on the heated MC gear. When you live in a place that has winter 4-5 months out of the year or do any traveling to the mountains it makes life so much nicer.

I've tried heated insoles for cycling and found the batteries to be the weak link but will admit that was close to 10 years ago and I know technology has changed. My winter riding boots are also a crapton warmer than the old Lake winter boots from the mid 2000s too.

As a year round commuter I love the idea of heated gloves that are not bulky like mitts which is my current go-to for daily commutes. While I like Pogies, they work best when the bike doesn't live in unheated garage at home and an unheated commuter box at work. 165 USD for the gloves doesn't seem like a horrible deal either if they work as advertised.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:55 AM

go solar or go home.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
go solar or go home.

I'm goin' solar on my TT bike with that thing.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
My winter riding boots are also a crapton warmer than the old Lake winter boots from the mid 2000s too.
Whatcha using?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Whatcha using?
I picked up the new Lake MXZ 400 boots last year and while the look a bit over the top are actually very comfortable, not too heavy and super warm. Prior to that I'd had the V1 Wolfhammers which were also better than the old 2004 ish Lakes although not as comfortable for my particular feet.

Still have the Wolfhammers in 46 if anyone is looking
Old 12-14-2017, 02:32 PM

I have chronic numb/cold feet, so I got some 30Seven heated socks and they are super hot - I cannot run them on "high" in 30-40F. Or even medium once it gets above 40.

If anything I wish the element wrapped more around the foot with less heat!

They last at least 8+ hours on low. One of the best parts is when you get caught in cold rain, because your feet might be wet, but they're still warm.

The downside is just the hassle - removing the heating element to wash the socks, charging the battery, strapping it on, etc. I only use them on 4+ hour rides where I know I'm going to be out all day.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 PM

I have two pairs of heated gloves, one by Outdoor Research, and the other by Zanier. The Zanier gloves are basically ski gloves, and are bulkier than the OR gloves. They are both toasty warm, and the warm the fingers (heat packs generally only warm the main part of the hand).