Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I have EIA, use this drug when riding and have used it in competition (during warmup, never during the race). Via an inhaler, it's approved, via injection, it is not. I used an inhaler. The standard dose is two puffs, which are 90mcg each. If he tested at 2,000 mcg, that's at least TWENTY TWO puffs or ELEVEN TIMES the recommended dose. I'm sorry, but there's no excuse for that.
I think your numbers don’t work. His results were 2,000 nanograms. Aren’t you talking micrograms? I think one thousand nanograms is one microgram. Besides, the test result show the amount in his bloodstream, so the amount you inhale v. What’s in your bloodstream should be quite different.

I too have EIA and need more than two puffs.. I’m interested to hear how many puffs Froome claims to have taken.

CaptStash....
Old 12-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
I think your numbers don’t work. His results were 2,000 nanograms. Aren’t you talking micrograms? I think one thousand nanograms is one microgram. Besides, the test result show the amount in his bloodstream, so the amount you inhale v. What’s in your bloodstream should be quite different.

I too have EIA and need more than two puffs.. I’m interested to hear how many puffs Froome claims to have taken.

CaptStash....
I was just about to write this. He would not have had to take 22 times the dosage to produce his test results. All else being equal in terms of his physiology he would have had to taken more than double the maximum allowable dosage that day (assuming that the allowable limit in blood would not be triggered by the daily maximum dosage to allow for variance).

Many it was tainted Spanish air from a herd of asthmatic cows that were near the course.

Last edited by Black Dog; 12-13-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Vendor

He will get away with it. Somehow someway there will be a backdated TUE or some sort of BS and he will be cleared. Just watch.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
He will get away with it. Somehow someway there will be a backdated TUE or some sort of BS and he will be cleared. Just watch.
The only thing that gives me hope on this one is that Cookson is no longer in the big chair.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
The only thing that gives me hope on this one is that Cookson is no longer in the big chair.
Heck. Just last week Cookson was defending Wiggins' reputation.

With Cookson we went through an era of only the little people testing positive. Say what you will about McQuaid but nearly every top rider was caught in one way or another.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:40 AM

easy on the bro science about what caused this positive. here's a decent analysis of it.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I was just about to write this. He would not have had to take 22 times the dosage to produce his test results. ...
I was just googling this as well. In theory, one puff is 100mcg, right?? But does that mean all 100mcg can be detected?
And yeah, so how does someone actually accumulate 20x the effective dose in their body, considering not all of a puff is going to be absorbed into the lungs, and some would be metabolized before his urine test........That kind of tells me he must have used a **** load of the stuff.

My non-medical understanding is that once your lungs are 'open', further dosages won't help with breathing. But I guess they -will- have a strong stimulant effect?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post

CaptStash....
Gah. Missed the nanograms. So they are measuring what actually gets into the bloodstream, not what was administered. No comment on that, I have no idea what that would be. I'll edit my original post.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Gah. Missed the nanograms. So they are measuring what actually gets into the bloodstream, not what was administered. No comment on that, I have no idea what that would be. I'll edit my original post.
They measured what was in the urine, so excreted not blood levels. There is a certain % of bioavailability, then a % that is metabolised and excreted and a % that is excreted unmodified. It really isn't as easy as extrapolating concentration in urine to figure number of puffs he took on his inhaler. If he injected it, then bioavailability is 100%*

*Hopefully not bro-science, 20 years as a scientist in pharma.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
easy on the bro science about what caused this positive. here's a decent analysis of it.
From the article, if the 1000 nanograms/ml corresponds to 1600 mcg/24 hours, then that means he took at least 17 puffs in 24 hours if he used an inhaler, right? Lots of variables, I'm sure.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 AM

I wish I could have come down with EIA in my twenties, it would have been so nice to have that performance boost EIA seems to give.

Always noticed it seemed the further up the competitive ladder you got the higher % of cyclists seemed to have EIA till you got to the top pros and they seemingly all have it. Amazing our sport self selects for people with a bronchial syndrome the same way basketball selects for height.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Administrator

So how much help does Salbutamol provide?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
So how much help does Salbutamol provide?
Significant, as a masking agent.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Significant, as a masking agent.
So someone would use this drug not because of the benefits in and of itself, but to hide something else they are taking?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the link above. I'm running around like chicken little now.