Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I view the MTB to be more for social stuff.
If this is how you feel, buy a Santa Cruz Chameleon, 27.5+ build. Even the basic D build kit will suffice ($1,700). Great bike.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
If this is how you feel, buy a Santa Cruz Chameleon, 27.5+ build. Even the basic D build kit will suffice ($1,700). Great bike.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon
Please. it is a good bike for the money but I prefer to own a steel hardtail 29/27+ bike.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Gravel bike will not pay for the MTB. plus its the bike I ride most. I cannot imagine not having a gravel bike. I have had one in some form for over 10 years now. I view the MTB to be more for social stuff. The Festka will accept a max of 28's. Plus, my Bora Ultra IIs are tubular. Would suck to ride dirt on a pair of 28 tubulars and get a flat. Also I got a ceramic speed BB on the Festka. I dont want to get that BB all mucked up.
I ride dirt roads around the republic on 25mm tubulars all the time. A puncture on dirt is the same as a puncture on the road, and I get very, very few.

Ceramic BB? It shouldn't care about some dirt roads..BUT you said you ride your gravel bike most of the time and often on the road..

Rent a MTB to see if that's what you really want..
BUT, IMHO, of course.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 AM

The dirt in boulder is a lot smooth than Marin- at least it was 20 years ago when I use to hang out there. I average I would guess a puncture a month on 32-38 tires. What are am trying to tell you is the Festka is not made for dirt like my mosaic. The mosaic is made for road more than the festka is made for dirt.

The tests and discussion Are completed regarding the MTB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I ride dirt roads around the republic on 25mm tubulars all the time. A puncture on dirt is the same as a puncture on the road, and I get very, very few.

Ceramic BB? It shouldn't care about some dirt roads..BUT you said you ride your gravel bike most of the time and often on the road..

Rent a MTB to see if that's what you really want..
BUT, IMHO, of course.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The dirt in boulder is a lot smooth than Marin- at least it was 20 years ago when I use to hang out there. I average I would guess a puncture a month on 32-38 tires. What are am trying to tell you is the Festka is not made for dirt like my mosaic. The mosaic is made for road more than the festka is made for dirt.

The tests and discussion Are completed regarding the MTB.
I get it...just making a minor 'political' statement..Sounds like a MTB and gravel bike is the future of your stable..get some tubulars for when the GRoad bike is a Road bike... Mosaic a great rig all 'round.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM

Just get the 44 on top of everything else. You gonna go ti with 44?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:14 AM
n - 1

If your rides are predominantly dirt, gravel, and singletrack, I would get rid of the roadie as well. Why have that thing collectiving dust all year? I’m also a sucker for steel HT and 44 would be awesome. Although I’d say you should explore production options for a season (or two) before going custom. I thought I had it figured out when I got a custom MTB. But doing it over, I would have done a few things different. i.e. Forget this current trend of 29/27.5+. Stick to one wheel size, because you will most likely end up swapping wheels maybe once, then find out how irritating it is to swap wheels and leave one set on for the rest of its life. 29"x2.4" clearance and narrow q factor would be on the top of the list for me.

Last edited by p nut; 12-05-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Please. it is a good bike for the money but I prefer to own a steel hardtail 29/27+ bike.
I like your style.
Hope you get the bike you wish for, can't wait to see it
Old 12-05-2017, 08:28 AM

keep the Festka.
if you're particular about your bikes, which would be a fair guess, you might not have as easy of time finding one like it that hits 99% of your expectations of an ideal road bike.
as for the mtn bike, the 44 looks great. i know you're not partial to a jeff jones, but if you're curious about how people can love an "ugly" bike, i'd be happy to let you test ride mine over a weekend to see what the fuss is about. a rigid, ugly mtn bike is a great conversation starter!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Randomhead

my MTB really turned my cycling around when I was discouraged a year ago. My road bike gets used a lot less nowadays, but I still have one and a gravel bike too.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 AM

I get the jonesing for an MTB in Marin. But given what you have already, why hard tail? It will only extend your terrain a little when you already have a disc gravel bike. Get a FS, and therefore probably not custom. Rent a few or buy something reasonable and used and beat the crap out of it on the terrain you want to extend to, while you figure out what you like- there's a lot more variation in MTBs than road/cross/'gravel' bikes. You sit on them differently, they feel different and if your muscle memory is totally dialed as a roadie then you're likely to get it wrong at first when choosing or even fully knowing what works best for you on a MTB. You already know all this though you're just not listening to yerself! Selling the Festka you just bought? How much paid? How long the wait time? Insanity- I think that wildfire smoke from the Santa Rosa pot fields is drifting over Marin.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:46 AM

I definitely sympathize with where your head is. I'd rent/borrow a bike that is of the design you're thinking about getting from 44. You could even buy a new Karate Monkey 27.5+, ride it for a month and know if you're sold on MTBing and that general format then sell it. Be out a few hundred bucks maybe.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:48 AM

I would keep what you have and go the charliedid's route. Kona Honzo's are awesome hardtails. I have the ti version and spent lots of time on the steel, great bikes with modern geometry for much much less than a custom mtb.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I get the jonesing for an MTB in Marin. But given what you have already, why hard tail? It will only extend your terrain a little when you already have a disc gravel bike. Get a FS, and therefore probably not custom. Rent a few or buy something reasonable and used and beat the crap out of it on the terrain you want to extend to, while you figure out what you like- there's a lot more variation in MTBs than road/cross/'gravel' bikes. You sit on them differently, they feel different and if your muscle memory is totally dialed as a roadie then you're likely to get it wrong at first when choosing or even fully knowing what works best for you on a MTB. You already know all this though you're just not listening to yerself! Selling the Festka you just bought? How much paid? How long the wait time? Insanity- I think that wildfire smoke from the Santa Rosa pot fields is drifting over Marin.
I disagree with this, with the right hardtail the difference can be huge!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:03 AM

You should sell the road bike to a trusted forumite someone who lives close enough to you that the transaction will be very easy, but not so close that you'll ever have to see another man riding a bike you love. Unless, that is, you're feeling very generous, in which case you should give rather than sell it to that same trusted forumite. You're welcome.