Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 04:53 PM

Bay Area - Renter's Insurance suggestions plus appraisals

Forum

While in the process of moving I made the discovery that my current insurance would only cover $2,500 total for my bikes, unless I get riders for them individually.

Like most of us here, that's not gonna cut it.

Also, like most of us here, I have some oddball bikes which I built up myself, and I expect that to go down the rider route I'd need to get them appraised.

My two questions:

1) Does anyone have exceptionally good things to say about an insurance provider, with respect to bike coverage? I have barely anything else worth insuring.

2) Has anyone got bikes appraised in the Bay Area?

Thanks

John
Old 12-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_rock View Post
Forum

While in the process of moving I made the discovery that my current insurance would only cover $2,500 total for my bikes, unless I get riders for them individually.

Like most of us here, that's not gonna cut it.

Also, like most of us here, I have some oddball bikes which I built up myself, and I expect that to go down the rider route I'd need to get them appraised.

My two questions:

1) Does anyone have exceptionally good things to say about an insurance provider, with respect to bike coverage? I have barely anything else worth insuring.

2) Has anyone got bikes appraised in the Bay Area?

Thanks

John
I’ve had bikes appraised in the Bay Area. Any shop that’s knowledgeable with boutique bikes should be able to do it.

Also I have renters insurance through geico (subbed out to farmers) and they didn’t require a rider for my bikes but I only have 10k of coverage.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 PM

We rented for about a year up in teh Bay Area - we had a renter's policy through Farmers that did cover the bike sup to about $10 or $15k. Coverage for the bikes was something we specifically looked for in the renter's policy. Farmer's offered the best option of the ones we looked at .
Old 12-29-2017, 10:19 PM

I'm in New York, but my experience here may offer some insight.

Holler if you need clarification.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:55 AM

Get different renters insurance. With replacement cost on items. Then there is no need for appraisal/depreciation.

I have USAA which is a non option unless you were military or had a military parent. I have replacement cost on my home contents. If I add a rider for a bicycle,jewelry, etc then that becomes depreciated for some reason. No brainer, I don't get riders.

BTW, here is a thought on insurance. Only insure what you really cannot live without. I keep a high deductible as I am fortunate enought to be able to afford to lose that much to a theft. I keep enough value on the home contents to set up after a total loss such as fire. Would I replace everything in my home? No way. I just need enough to buy some furniture, clothes for the kids, dishes, cooking equipment etc.

Can you live without that bike? If it was stolen, if absolutely necessary could you just go buy a $1500 used bike? Maybe you really don't need to insure it. But, from what I'm seeing on theft, I'd find a way to lock it up in the garage.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon