Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-30-2022, 05:11 PM

Time Scylon / Alpe D'Huez Fit Help (Stack / Reach Measurement)

I've been riding Time bikes for quite a while now, and I was just looking at their new-ish website. I am trying to understand the Reach measurement between the XS and S frames. I can't seem to come up with the same numbers using online calculators, and I wanted to see if someone was bored and wanted to check. Is it odd that the S frame reach is shorter than the XS frame reach especially when looking at the "Approximate Sizing" chart below the Geo chart?

Here's the site (scroll to bottom for geo): https://www.timebicycles.com/products/scylon-sell
Old 05-11-2022, 04:41 PM

Yeah I see what you're saying - looks can definitely be deceiving.

To the best of my knowledge, HTA and Head Tube Length both play a role in effecting the Reach measurement. Perhaps that combo of Taller and Steeper HT on the size "S" versus the "XS", wound up with that number.

In practicality, Maybe the frame designers assume that someone riding a bike that small would be more interested in the stack height, rather than reach.

I suppose it ultimately depends on where their handlebars really need to be, placed in "x,y" coordinates, relative to the BB, and the resulting fit.

Hope that helps. I love geeking out about frame geo and fit.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:51 PM

Search this out on weight weenies. I recall a very lengthy discussion concerning the Time sizing chart and geometry. Skylon is mentioned.
Sorry I don’t have a direct link but think user Calnago (?) broke down a build he did and got in to this same topic.