Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 AM

Univega

x2 for Univega..."nuovo sport" I believe - dented that top tube when
I t-boned a car riding it on my to x-cross country practice in high school...that was then replaced with a trek aluminum bike with Suntour. Great bikes both. Those however only whetted my appetite - the first road bike that I got a true fitting for was a Serotta Nova Special freshman year of college some ~30 years ago. Nothing but regrets for selling that one.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Miyata 914 with 7 speed RSX.

Later it got Dura Ace 7400. Please excuse the bar angle. I was new and still trying to figure this stuff out.

Last edited by Jaybee; 07-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:09 AM

My first road bike was a trek 2300 composite with a mix of 105 and rsx components. Got it around 1996 or so. Probably put about 10,000 km on it over 10 years as I was more in to mtb at that time.

It is the only bike frame I have ever broken. The seat lug casting cracked.
They sent me a new one and it is still being ridden by my nephew as a do everything city bike.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:36 AM

Hi, I'm new here. My first real bike was a Bianchi Campione del Mondo with Super Record. I lusted after it in the window of the Montlake Bicycle Shop here in Seattle for a full winter because it was twice my budget.

Yeah I bought it, because lust makes a man do irrational things and lust for a sexy Italian can make a man do anything. It was such a sweet ride. I did my first Seattle-to-Portland on it. I did my first racing season on it.

I sold it to a friend who years later sold it to who-knows-where. Even after it being gone more than a couple of decades we still talk about it with reverence.

- Brian
Old 07-12-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Poghliaghi TSX - around an 87-88.
Geez, how did you get a Pog as your first real road bike? That's like getting a Lamborghini Miura as a first car.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 AM

Your first "REAL" road bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Geez, how did you get a Pog as your first real road bike? That's like getting a Lamborghini Miura as a first car.

Piermont bikes or their predecessor. Ted. It was a basso pog, but still grand. Lost in in a roofrack incident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2019, 10:48 AM

A Falcon with index shifting from the 80s. Don’t remember much about it other than I loved it and then sold it a neighbourhood kid for nothing. Then he started racing as an amateur so I guess it went to the right guy after all.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:49 AM

1976 Viscount . Last bike I bought new.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
x2 for Univega..."nuovo sport" I believe - dented that top tube when
I t-boned a car riding it on my to x-cross country practice in high school...that was then replaced with a trek aluminum bike with Suntour. Great bikes both. Those however only whetted my appetite - the first road bike that I got a true fitting for was a Serotta Nova Special freshman year of college some ~30 years ago. Nothing but regrets for selling that one.
Ironic; I suppose my first 'Real' road bike was also a Univega. I was hit by a driver who darted out and cut in front of me to make a right turn... Totaled the bike... It was replaced by a Specialized Epic - I WON"T call that a real road bike because it was a ****ty piece of crap. Shop gave me a 'deal' - My first STI shifters... Shimano 105 7speed... After a year, I saw a couple of Serotta's on display in the corner of the shop. By far the place was selling mostly Trek and Specialized... but this small display of custom bikes caught my eye... and I bought a Colorado CR. Hot pink and purple fade... All Ultegra 8speed STI... Hand built Ultegra hubs to Open Pro wheels 32 3 cross... 12-21 53/39 (young and dumb)... I still own this frame and fork. In the process of building it up with non period parts. Campy 10, Velo Orange threaded fork adapter, Velo Orange stem, Salsa Poco Bars (Short and shallow...), Velo Orange seat post, Blue B-17 saddle, Time ATAC hybrid flat/clip pedals, Zonda wheels. Just a fun all around bike to ride. Even today.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrodoug View Post
Wow, after my Schwinn Continental I bought a Univega Sport Tour in 1982. It was a beautiful light metallic blue. I thought it was so cool, because it had Shimano 600 drive-train components (less the crank). I ended up giving that bike to my son a few years back. However, I think my first "serious" road bike was my 1973 Super Mondia Special. Yes , it was an older bike , but to me it was fabulous!! I bought it in the early 90's and became the retro guy with my bike buddies. It was made in Switzerland and has chrome Nervex lugs , a three -color fade paint job and Campy Neuvo Records components. The brakes are MAFAC center-pulls. People still stop and stare at it!
Awesome. I would stare too.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 PM

first 4

Schwinn Varsity - I had 2
Huffy Scout
Univega blue - stolen from my apt
in Chicago
Cannondale
Starting 1976...
The rest, as they say, is history.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:38 PM

80s Ross Gran Tour! Loved that thing!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 PM

Puch “Marco Polo,” early 80’s with Campy NR
Old 10-12-2019, 10:06 AM

10th anniversary Merckx - full c record
Old 10-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Had this since I was 16, Italvega, Campy, Arc en Ciels, I recently went through it, other than a lot of scratches it's like new
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first road bike.jpg (75.0 KB, 108 views)