Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Any idea yet for aprox start times for weekday rides?
I don't know exactly what Mike is planning for Thursday and Friday, but I tend to get out and going pretty early for longer rides. I'm also totally OK if there are multiple start times for folks coming from a distance - I'm sure you'll all catch up with me!
Old 04-14-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I don't know exactly what Mike is planning for Thursday and Friday, but I tend to get out and going pretty early for longer rides. I'm also totally OK if there are multiple start times for folks coming from a distance - I'm sure you'll all catch up with me!
I dunno... less power and more weight than I used to was. No hills where I live now either. No matter, would just be cool to meet up and ride with a PL's group.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:21 PM

I've been thinking about how to ride a bunch of Skyline Drive without doing out-and-backs. In hiking we have on occasion spotted a vehicle at the end of a hike, driven back to the start, and then hiked to the spotted vehicle and driven it back to where we started.

What occurs to me with multiple people, some of whom are likely coming from the south of Skyline Drive, such as Charlottesville, is that people could park at a turnout or a place like South River Overlook and Picnic Area, and ride to Front Royal, while others ride from Front Royal and when we cross paths, pick up the car keys to the car(s) left.We'd all end up in Front Royal with all of the vehicles.

Front Royal to South River Overlook is about 63 miles and 7,700 ft of climbing, and the reverse is a bit over 5,300 ft.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'm allergic to mornings and am ~60-75min out from the ride start so later is better for me

It's y'all's party so plan for you and if it works for me, I'll make it out

M
Old 04-14-2024, 06:41 PM
ZhugeLiang

I am sorry pals, something came up last minute, looks like I will have to cancel my trip. Y'all go ahead and meet up and have a good time!
Old 04-14-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I am sorry pals, something came up last minute, looks like I will have to cancel my trip. Y'all go ahead and meet up and have a good time!
Well poo. I can stay home if that changes things.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:49 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Well poo. I can stay home if that changes things.
No way, you better get your lazy a$$ up there and ride with those pals. I want pics as proof!
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

This is an update.

Angry and Weisan are out. The Baron (Mike) and I both arrive on Weds May 8th in the afternoon. Our two full days of riding are Thursday and Friday the 9th and 10th. We both like an early start (7 am) and Mike likes to get back to Front Royal by 3pm.

He has proposed a number of rides that I will link. I took two and shortened them so as to accommodate my riding speed and capability with the goal of getting him home well in time. I know from my past experience at D2R2 and multi-day cc tours that I should be able to do these two days in a row (hopefully!)

Here's the road ride. 62 miles, 5,200 feet of up.

Here's the gravel ride. 60 miles, 4,500 feet.

If we do these two, or another two that Mike prefers, I'm anticipating that since Mike heads back up to NJ on Saturday afternoon, and I'll be tired, that we'll do a shorter easier morning ride that day.

Then I'll have two more full days in Front Royal, Sunday and Monday. I'd really like to get up on Skyline Drive and a classic ride called Skymass is 82.5 miles and 7,000 ft is in my sights for one of those two days. I leave to drive home on Tuesday but will have time for a morning ride.

At the moment I'm planning to bring two bikes, the Supersix for the pavement loops and the Bingham for the ones with dirt roads.

Here are the RWGPS links Mike sent me:
This is a compendium of routes he put together for a bike club, three days with loops of varying difficulty.
And here's a nice road loop and a gravel loop, both 50-55 miles and 3,200 to 3,700 feet.

So - early starts and (hopefully) early finishes. Some routes don't have a lot of re-supply locations. My pace in the past for D2R2 with 100 feet/mile average on a fair bit of dirt is 11 mph. Local rides with a lot less elevation and more wind my range is 14-15 mph. I like to stop for a bite roughly every two hours. If I do Skymass I'd anticipate being out for 9 hours.

I'll be staying at the Super 8 in Front Royal. If you want to join for any of these rides please PM me. I'd be delighted to meet other Paceliners!

Finally - I'm staying Tuesday night the 7th in Carlisle, PA. I'd love to hear recommendations for a great short ride in that area that I could do before the final drive to Front Royal.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

I'll be out, I'm afraid. Since it looked like it was falling through, I made plans to try and go to Arkansas that week. Probably wouldn't matter, with a 7am start. I'm an hour away and that's too early for me to make.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I'll be out, I'm afraid. Since it looked like it was falling through, I made plans to try and go to Arkansas that week. Probably wouldn't matter, with a 7am start. I'm an hour away and that's too early for me to make.
Let us know what you ride in Arkansas!
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post

Here's the road ride. 62 miles, 5,200 feet of up.

Here's the gravel ride. 60 miles, 4,500 feet.
Those are both good rides. You'll enjoy them.

I haven't done the road climb/descent in a few years now - IIRC, the climb is a steady grind and the descent is fast and flow-y - a nice pay-off for the work.

I hit bits of pieces of the gravel ride semi-regularly - all good stuff and passable on an all-road bike if necessary (though I definitely prefer 35mm+ gravel tires).
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Those are both good rides. You'll enjoy them.

I haven't done the road climb/descent in a few years now - IIRC, the climb is a steady grind and the descent is fast and flow-y - a nice pay-off for the work.

I hit bits of pieces of the gravel ride semi-regularly - all good stuff and passable on an all-road bike if necessary (though I definitely prefer 35mm+ gravel tires).
The Bingham will be wearing 650Bx38 GK slicks. Thanks for the info!
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

I'm a no-go as well. Too early with ~ 3 hours drive and a couple conflicts have popped up anyway.

I did get to Skyline and Waynesboro for a couple rides this past weekend. I was really impressed by the Bike VA route we did starting in Staunton. Beautiful country! You guys should have a great time. Hope to meet up with a few of you at some point.

Cheers,

GB
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
I dunno... less power and more weight than I used to was. No hills where I live now either. No matter, would just be cool to meet up and ride with a PL's group.
I'm pretty sure where I am is mountainous relative to the Eastern Shore and I live where it's flat

Windy,,, but flat

M
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I'm pretty sure where I am is mountainous relative to the Eastern Shore and I live where it's flat

Windy,,, but flat

M
Have a century ride coming up this Saturday. I think it's 5-600' total gain. It's flat and often quite breezy.