Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 04:19 PM

North Carolina Paceliners

Any Paceliners in NC can share there experiences about the area around in Boone, NC?

Heading there this weekend with my son to check out App St
Old 01-21-2019, 04:30 PM

There are some really nice routes and roads to cycle there, or around there. You can pull routes from RideWGPS, or the BSG routes which are generally excellent. The Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby, and its through a pretty area.
In general, the Boone surrounding area is easy area to cycle whether with friends or even alone. People are used to seeing cyclists there so it's reasonably safe, although the mountain roads often don't have a shoulder to speak of. There are a few good hills to keep your legs honest. Snake Mtn (part of Meat Camp Rd) is probably the premier climb up that way, with about a quarter or half mile at 18%. But other hills there are more like the Parkway grade - being 5-8%.

App State is also a nice college, situated comfortably in the quaint town of Boone. It's probably the highlight of Boone. And it's a good college especially if you plan on a teaching career.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:14 PM

Nice place to ride in the summer, other than the afternoon thunderstorms that pop up.

Will be kind of cold this weekend.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 PM
50 bpm

Boone, home of Blood, Sweat & Gears, Snake Mountain, George's Gap and all-around great riding, including the Blue Ridge.

I thought at one point we'd move there. Overshot it and landed here instead.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Maybe the coldest town in winter in NC. Miserable, wet, and cold many days. Nice in spring, summer, and fall. Really nice college town.

I remember some years ago going into a small coffee shop in down town Boone, in dead of winter, and noticed some bikes leaned against the wall outside. I remember them because they all had Continental GatorSkins. Was Lance and most of his team doing some winter training.

Good School BTW. Not just a teaching college anymore. I grew up just down the mountain in Morganton. My brother had an old chevy, that we drove without anti freeze. We drained it out at night so block and radiator wouldn't freeze. I remember driving from Lenoir up to Boone for a basketball game one night....it got so cold driving up the mtn the radiator froze up, water couldn't circulate, then boiled all the water out. Lots of memories of those mountains.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-21-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:40 PM

In the mountains. End of January. All you need to know.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 PM

App State's cycling team is pretty dominant because, yanno, mountains.

Riding there is pretty incredible, but as others mentioned, the winters can be legit.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 PM

When we lived in NC in the early 80s, Boone’s county was dry. Presumably liquor laws have normalized. Could be inconvenient for a college kid.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 PM
Bike Guy

The best riding I’ve found in the Appalachians for paved and gravel roads. Very difficult riding (climbey) save a few extremely nice flat sections of an old railroad grade and good bike paths.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 PM

I've never been to Boone, heard it's a nice area, although two dogs came from a shelter there +/- 13 years ago. One we laid to rest about a year ago, the other they labelled "unadoptable" and scheduled to be euthanized, she is going on 15yrs old now and couldn't ask for a better dog. I'd ask her thoughts on the area but she is a little hard of hearing these days.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:17 AM

Grew up there and have a condo in BR. They have a great trail in Rocky Knob park but closed in the winters. Parkway is closed a lot. Drop down the mountain to Wilkes and there's the RAW route and the epic Kerr Scott trails around the dam. Wilkes Greenway is a lower exertion option. Stop at the Welcome on Hwy 421for lit and maps. Dress for the weather.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:34 AM

Plenty of info already here. Only thing I can add is go to Stick Boy for pastries.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 AM

My son went to APP ST. a few years ago. He went to school in Boone and lived in a log cabin on 11 acres over the mountain in Tenn. Only 12 mile from Boone and 1/2 the price to rent compared to Boone. Great school. I would take my road bike down and ride the area of Mt. City Tenn. Lots of great riding but the hiking is some of the best on the east coast IMHO. There are tons of top rated hiking trails within an hour drive of Boone.The laurel creek gorge is some of the best creek boatin in the spring.
A few times I would meet a few people and ride from Boone to West Jefferson and back. Beautiful country but one of the most inbred areas I have ever been to. I also did a 3 day credit card trip starting around the Linville gorge to Asheville.
There is some great riding as well as other outdoor activities in the area.
You have to check out an Italian joint about 30 mins outside of Boone called LA CUCINA Italian Kitchen. Some of the best Italian food I have had.
https://www.facebook.com/LA-CUCINA-I...2559213104393/
Or this Thai place.https://www.facebook.com/LA-CUCINA-I...2559213104393/

Last edited by skiezo; 01-25-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 AM

I'm an App State grad, lived in Boone for 5 years.

Good school, good town, although it gets really crowded during peak tourist time and on home game football weekends.

Great road riding, good back country mountain biking in Wilson's Creek area of Pisgah which has endless miles of gravel if that's thing.

As others have stated winter can be real but can also be relatively mild.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:09 AM

Brevard

I moved south of Boone from Chicago about 3 years ago, and have not made it up there with a bike. I live 30 minutes south of Asheville in Brevard. We have a bit of both- solid climbing and rolling terrain. We get less snow since our highest elevation is about 3500 feet. This is a great place to ride if you need variety of terrain and better chance to get on your bike most days in winter. Midday temps have been below freezing once this year, but the mornings are chilly.